UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Reminder: Access User Voice    

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 21 2019, 09:50 AM
Post#1

UA Admin

One of the most important tools available to Microsoft Access developers is the Access User Voice forum. In addition to a link to Current Fixes and Workarounds for Recent Issues in Access, User Voice provides a way for us to submit requests for enhancements to our favorite Relational Database Development Tool directly to Microsoft.

We suggest you visit User Voice regularly and either submit your own ideas, or give your support to existing requests.

Note: this is not a place to make complaints or criticisms, or to ask about specific problems in your own Access Relational Database Applications.

One recent example of an idea that makes a lot of sense for us these days is the request to support Large Address Awareness for 32 bit Access. Many of us have experienced problems with memory and resource limitations when working with more complex Access Relational Database Applications. Each new version seems to be more susceptible to the problem. Making LAA the default for Access would be a big help.

You can find this, and many other great ideas, at Access User Voice. Please take time to review what is there and participate in the discussion.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server
Go to the top of the page

FrankRuperto
post Dec 21 2019, 10:18 AM
Post#2

I have not seen the MS Access Team reply to any ideas or comments on AUV for quite some time, except for Shane Groff's reply about the corrupt query bug. MS Access Team response literally disappeared ever since Michal Bar is no longer the team's manager. AUV also has an increased presence of spammers. There's more recent activity by the Access Team in the Access Space of the Microsoft Tech Community site: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Acce...ct-p/Access_Cat
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Dec 21 2019, 10:37 AM

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.

jleach
post Dec 21 2019, 04:33 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess Administrator

Michal was a great asset to the Access team and put a lot of effort into making sure she was engaged with the communities. We were sad to see her go, but happy for her moving into her new role.

That said, AUV still does get attention from the A-team, even though it may not look like it. There's a lot factors in development process, so things don't tend to move very fast, but they do move and it is watched.

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.
Business Software Solutions

DanielPineault
post Dec 21 2019, 05:19 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

I'm not going to start a huge argument, but if you do a very statistical analysis of requests, votes, ... vs. what actually gets done, well you find out UV is a waste of time. I did so for 3 years in a row and simply stopped. MS does what they want.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 21 2019, 06:49 PM
Post#5

UA Admin

Although it's true that the implementation rate for requests is less than 100%, it's hard to see how having an avenue like this to submit requests directly to the MS Access Team at Microsoft is not a good idea.

I know, as you know, that the Access team does read and evaluate suggestions and requests. Some are implemented, some not.

One success that sticks out was the campaign to restore the ability to link to *.dbf files. That probably wouldn't have happened without User Voice.

Once requests have been accepted and implemented, they eventually are removed from the page, so it's easy to see which ones are not implemented, but hard to see those that were implemented over the years.

I would suggest, therefore, that people sign up and VOTE for ideas they like. And keep pushing for them.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

FrankRuperto
post Dec 21 2019, 09:24 PM
Post#6

All I am saying is that the MS Access Team stopped responding to requests for quite some time. See for yourself.

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.

FrankRuperto
post Dec 21 2019, 11:28 PM
Post#7

I do find AUV does contain useful ideas and comments, however I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a response from the MS Access Team unless things have changed since they now have a new team manager.

--------------------

DougY
post Dec 22 2019, 07:49 PM
Post#8

Utterly Abby-Normal

I think you are judging a new team lead before they have a chance to act. It takes time for a new PM to catch up on all the details of a job, and AUV is probably not on the top of that list. While the response may not be on par as when Michal was the PM, having suggestions with a lot of votes is a good thing. It allows us to point the suggestion to the dev team and ask them to review since it is a popular request.

UserVoice in general is a good tool. I've seen changes made to programs based on UV suggestions and vote count. It is a balancing act of resources and current workload, but the highly demanded suggestion are usaully implemented, or at least reviewed for feasibility.

I think we should pay attention to the tool, and participate, if we want Access to improve and get better. We do interact with the dev team on other channels, and they are responsive within the parameters they can be. Putting something in front of them with measurable demand can go a long way for them to be able to add it to the development work.

--------------------
- Doug

When I said the program was fool proof, I hadn’t realized there were so many fools.

jleach
post Dec 22 2019, 09:23 PM
Post#9

UtterAccess Administrator

Exactly that, Doug thumbup.gif

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.
Business Software Solutions