UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Split Database, Access 2016    

cstuckey
post Dec 19 2019, 01:57 PM
Post#1

Is there a way to be able to use one backend database for multiple frontend tables based on users? The front end table will only show the user's data based on their name. So:

Backend table (All data tables (all users)----> frontend user1 (Based on Owner 1 data)
frontend user2 (Based on owner 2 data)
frontend user 3 (based on owner 3 data)

Thank you
CS
Go to the top of the page

DanielPineault
post Dec 19 2019, 02:49 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Normally, you'd have a field within you table which would identify the 'owner' and filter based on the current user so they only see their data.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 19 2019, 02:52 PM
Post#3

UA Admin

This could be done, of course, but as Daniel says, it's not the standard approach most often used.

Maintaining multiple tables can be more work than simply filtering data for each user.

Is there a security concern about allowing users to see other users' data? Or is this more about ease of use?

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

cstuckey
post Dec 19 2019, 03:08 PM
Post#4

Both. There are 5 individual coaches who are in multiple schools who only need to see data on their students. Also, we also are concerned with HIPPA violations.

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 19 2019, 03:43 PM
Post#5

UA Admin

There are additional complications, of course, including the presence of related tables that need to be available to all users. However,

Doing what you suggest, from a purely technical point of view, is simply a matter of linking each front end to only those tables needed for that user.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

tina t
post Dec 19 2019, 04:49 PM
Post#6

we also are concerned with HIPPA violations.

HIPAA = Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. (my pet peeve)

hth
tina

--------------------
"the wheel never stops turning"

nvogel
post Dec 19 2019, 09:14 PM
Post#7

An Access database is not appropriate for sensitive personal data, doubly so in a multi-tenant style application like this one. I suggest you use any SQL DBMS with row-level security features. You could still use Access as the client application, just don't use it for the data.

DanielPineault
post Dec 19 2019, 09:17 PM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

Although not impossible to do with Access, I think SQL Server, or another Enterprise grade RDMS, is in order when it comes to HIPPA.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

WildBird
post Dec 19 2019, 10:09 PM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

Agree, Access is not the best solution for the backend if it needs to be secured.

--------------------
Beer, natures brain defragging tool.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    29th May 2020 - 03:22 AM