UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Side Menu Interface Revisioned, Office 2007    

jhcarrell
post Jul 3 2011, 11:15 AM
Post#21

Here is an Updated version. Changes are outlined below.
Group items are now highlighted on mousemove. Users can define seperate gradient color settings for (default) group, highlighted group, active group, and highlighted active group via the SideMenu Group Admin form.
- I've added a group header just about the item pane that updates based on the active group. There are still a couple of improvements planned for this feature.
- Users can now define the width of the SideMenu via the Side Menu Group Admin form.
- I've added a fair amount of commenting to the code to assist others interested in modifying this interface. This is an ongoing process and additional commenting will continue to be added in future updates.
Feedback is both requested and appreciated.
Enjoy!
- J
Attached File  SideMenuInterface_v09_a2007.zip ( 828.45K )Number of downloads: 673
Go to the top of the page

jhcarrell
post Jul 8 2011, 12:28 PM
Post#22

There are two places in the cmdSave click event that [Password] needs to be changed to [userPassword]. That should solve the issue.

lkbree51
post Jul 8 2011, 01:39 PM
Post#23

Thanks jhcarrell
That did the trick...doing a fine job on it.
Have a question for you though? How hard would it be to make it 4 to 8 characters instead of the exactly 8? Most people don't like that many characters in a password?
Again...
Larry

jhcarrell
post Jul 8 2011, 02:30 PM
Post#24

You can change that criteria or disable/remove it altogether by editing the code behind the change password form's cmdSave click event.

lkbree51
post Jul 11 2011, 04:38 PM
Post#25

Hello again
etting another error when I try adding links to the sidebar menu using the SideMenu Admin...getting this error and have to close and sign back in to get it to show what I just added.
Error 9 (Subscript out of range) in procedure ItemPaneSetup of clsSideMenu.
Ohaven't figured it out yet...just thought you might want to know about it? iconfused.gif
Larry

jhcarrell
post Jul 11 2011, 06:12 PM
Post#26

When adding parent (group) items or child menu itiems?

lkbree51
post Jul 11 2011, 10:32 PM
Post#27

Hello
When adding child menu itiems...haven't tried any parent menu items yet? <>/confused.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />
Larry

cocoflipper
post Jul 13 2011, 06:19 PM
Post#28

Hi J
The menu is great. I haven't implemented any of the new changes (stationary menu, highlights, etc), but the version I started using is working out.
One current question relating to printing.... There seems to be no way to open a report in the workspace. Have you tried that, or did you not yet delve into that? Reason I ask - it seems that the choices for producing a report with additional menu items across the top (like the command bar or the dreaded ribbon) are limited. If you run the report as dialog or print preview, you get no additional options along the top. If the report could be put in the workspace, then theoretically, one could change up the icons or buttons present in the Form Header section of the frmDesktop in order to give the user print-specific options when the report is open, then switch back when the report is closed in the workspace.
Your thoughts? If you haven't tackled it, I'll take a look at what I could do tomorrow.
Phil

jhcarrell
post Jul 13 2011, 10:16 PM
Post#29

I actually did run into this once and tested a way to open reports in the workspace, but it seems those changes didn't get incorporated into my later examples. I'll try to post the necessary changes to make it work tomorrow.

jhcarrell
post Jul 13 2011, 10:18 PM
Post#30

Sorry I haven't had time to look at this yet. (been tied up with other proj

cocoflipper
post Jul 14 2011, 12:50 PM
Post#31

From the looks of it, I would guess that another object needs to be created that would match the size and location of the sfrmWorkspace. The problem that I see is due to the fact that a report cannot be a sub of a form. So:
- the sfrmWorkspace.SourceObject cannot be a report (you cannot open a report on a form or subform)
AND
- a subreport control cannot be included with a form (frmDesktop), only another report.
What options are left? Well, the only one I can think of at the moment is to open the report in preview mode, include a customized ribbon (ugh) for the report, make sure the report is maximized, make sure that the ribbon is shown/nav pane is hidden, then unravel it all when the report closes. This really takes away from the look and feel of the app, though, as once you show the ribbon, those annoying extras show up (QAT, Windows button).
Still digging for a solution for showing the report in the workspace. Anyone out there who is using this menu - what do you do for reports displaying in this menu app?

mwacardsfan
post Jul 14 2011, 12:53 PM
Post#32

hello,
when I go to log out of the interface, I get the error message:
rror 2450 (My Database cannot fuind the referenced form 'frmDesktop'.) in proceedure SideMenuWidth of ModPublicFunctions
I am logged in as 'Joe Admin'.
Running on Access 2010.
Thanks in advance for your hep.

jhcarrell
post Jul 14 2011, 09:18 PM
Post#33

I have successfully altered the code to open reports from the side menu, but I'm still digging for the version I tweaked to open reports in the workspace.
dit: the more I think about it, may have been working with pivotcharts and tables as far as the workspace goes ... but I know I had to do some tweaking in regards to reports ... still looking for what I modified earlier.

jhcarrell
post Jul 14 2011, 09:43 PM
Post#34

Which version of the side menu are you using and have you modified the code at all? I have not duplicated this error as of yet.

cocoflipper
post Jul 14 2011, 09:57 PM
Post#35

Thanks J, keep me posted. I ran into wall after wall trying to get something to work well. Tried OLE objects on a form, etc... ended the day quite frustrated. This menu is such a great interface for forms, but if I (or someone) can't figure a way to have it produce reports using the menus with an integrated look, I don't know what I'll do. I really can't stand the QAT / Windows Office button that MS, in it's wisdom, forced onto Access and left Access developers without a sense of control to create tight apps.
When I left it at days end, I was messing around with using the Ribbon, but I can't stand the thing. I can set up a report to open in Print Preview, normal mode, and tie a custom Ribbon to it that has a number of Print features. That means I have to run it through a special function, RibbonVisible(True) - which leaves the Nav pane hidden, when I open the report. That would be an acceptable solution if I could somehow remove the QAT junk and Office button barnacle. I even went as far as setting the system Ribbon to disable the Access Options and Exit Access buttons on the Office button, set all other Office button options to visible = False, and started the Ribbon from scratch to remove all I could from those two albatrosses, but wouldn't you know I still could not wipe everything from the Office button (Recent Documents) and the QAT (arrow near Office button). Even one opening for a user to cause trouble is too much in my opinion.
Why does Microsoft make it so hard to produce a professional looking app!!!

lkbree51
post Jul 15 2011, 01:27 AM
Post#36

Take your time...I am not rushing you...know it takes time.
This may be somewhat the same as the other person is talking about...but there needs to be some way you can print to PDF's like you can on the regular program...been trying to find a way to turn the ribbon back on for the reports...but no luck yet? pullhair.gif
Larry

cocoflipper
post Jul 15 2011, 11:59 AM
Post#37

lkbree51 - there is a public function - RibbonVisible, that I mentioned in my last post. In the report Activate event, run it as RibbonVisible(True), except you will probably want to make a new function with the same code except for not including the ShowNavPane2007 / HideNavPane2007 calls for the reports. Then run RibbonVisible(False) for the Report close event.

cocoflipper
post Jul 15 2011, 12:07 PM
Post#38

Hi J and mwacardsfan,
reproduced this error in version 9 of the side menu, using Access 2010. Simple fix is to add something to the SideMenuWidth function, namely:
Instead of just :
CODE
        If Forms("frmDesktop").CurrentView = acCurViewFormBrowse Then

Forms("frmDesktop").ctlSideMenu.Width = rs!ButtonWidth
        End If

Add If...Then statement checking for frmDesktop, like so:
CODE
    If Application.CurrentProject.AllForms("frmDesktop").IsLoaded Then
        If Forms("frmDesktop").CurrentView = acCurViewFormBrowse Then

Forms("frmDesktop").ctlSideMenu.Width = rs!ButtonWidth
        End If
    End If

cocoflipper
post Jul 18 2011, 09:50 AM
Post#39

Anyone out there come up with a suggestion for creating a seamless print method within this menu? I'm about to tackle it again, see what I can figure out, but any ideas are welcome.
hil

cocoflipper
post Jul 18 2011, 10:36 AM
Post#40

OK, update from my testing, using the Ribbon to handle any reports.... If you want to get rid of the Recent Documents (so your users can't click on a database while yours is open), set it like this:
pplication.SetOption "Size of MRU File List", "0"
I would imagine, so that your list never gets past zero, you would do this every time you open a report, since it seems to immediately sets the Recent Documents to zero (in case the user opened another Access application while yours was opem). With this, and a USysRibbons entry to wipe the items off the Office button, the Office Button would look like this (see attachment). Result - No Recent Documents, Access Options and Exit button disabled. Still annoying that I have to live with the Office Button elbowing it's way into my app, but at least I've locked out the users from doing something they shouldn't be doing.
Now, the decision point is whether I want to include my printing functionality as small icon items in the QAT, or include a customized ribbon as my print ribbon. Either way, the functionality would not be (should not be) accessible until the user prints.
Any comments are welcome!
Attached File(s)
Attached File  OfficeButtonPic.JPG ( 7.76K )Number of downloads: 293

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    15th November 2019 - 06:40 PM