UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Side Menu Interface Revisioned, Office 2007    

cocoflipper
post Jul 19 2011, 05:34 PM
Post#41

Finally, finally.....FINALLY....after battling the Ribbon dragon, I think I have at last defeated it sufficient to feel like I have some solution with which to post reports in this menu.
EVELOPER'S NOTE: this is NOT by any means a ringing endorsement of the Ribbon. I wish I could use a non-Ribbon solution for reports, and would gladly chuck what I have done in order to have a menu-based solution for this. The conundrum here is that this menu uses a main form (frmDesktop) and a subform for the (sfrmWorkspace), and as such, cannot have a subreport with which one could display the report in the workspace. This is the ONLY reason that I was forced to come up with a Ribbon-based solution. Perhaps in the future I could use the workspace to link to an internal web site that would fire up a reporting software tool that uses the SQL Server tables I have... that's blue sky for now. Or someone can figure out a way to save the report in PDF and display it within the workspace. I would give that option a shot and probably prefer it over this solution.
In the meantime, here is my solution to having a report-based menu:
The original issue was that within this menu interface, when you set up a report in the Side Menu Admin area, the options for displaying the report within the menu interface do not allow for the use of any buttons or icons in the frmDesktop menu form when you turn off the Ribbon using -----> DoCmd.ShowToolbar "Ribbon", acToolbarNo. For example, if you selected a report to run using Print Preview view, Normal Window Mode, the report would display without any additional options along the top of the report. I like to present the user with the menu options to close the preview, print the report, zoom, save as PDF, send to Excel, and email the report. So, the trick was to come up with a menu that could do a number of things:
- allow the user to run a report with a report-specific menu, and return to the main menu seamlessly,
- keep the ribbon from being utilized in the main menu,
- keep the user out of any path that would lead them into trouble or allow them to cause trouble (i.e. remove Office button, QAT menu),
- allow the developer to switch into developer mode (use of the Ribbon for development)
Oleaned towards a Ribbon based solution since I could not produce an access report object within the workspace. As I found out, I could not completely remove the Office Button or QAT. BUT.... I could close and lock the doors using a modified Ribbon in the USysRibbons table. I wound up doing the following:
- using the QAT as my report "ribbon" or "menu bar"
- introduced a Developer's Menu (see the thread Developer's Ribbon info for more details on that),
- tied the Developer's menu to the RibbonVisible() function, so that the Developer's menu (Ribbon) is only visible when the ribbon is visible
- calling it "good for now, until anyone comes up with something better"
Here's the RibbonXML to use in the USysRibbons table and include as the ribbon of the current database. It's an amalgamation of the Developer's ribbon, a custom QAT to use with report previews, and some other item which either lock the doors or hide the doorknobs. Here it is:
Again, I'll mention that I don't think this is the optimal solution, but it does work. Feedback is welcomed!
Phil
Attached File(s)
Attached File  2136435.zip ( 2.86K )Number of downloads: 263

Go to the top of the page

lkbree51
post Jul 19 2011, 07:33 PM
Post#42

Hi Phil
Looks like you did have your head in your moniter for a while.
But I have a stupid question for the dummies like me...Where does all this go? Not much on codes yet...but trying to learn.
Thanks for all the great work
Lar

cocoflipper
post Jul 19 2011, 11:40 PM
Post#43

Hi Larry - It is a lot to take in, and my head hurt on numerous occasions while trying to wrestle with it. Perhaps J can weigh in as to whether he wants to fold it into version 10. In the meantime, if you want to fold this in yourself, put the ribbon xml into the RibbonXML field in the USysRibbons table. Look at Avenius's site to learn the ins and outs of adding ribbon code. Even if you want to avoid it (like me), it can't hurt you to learn how to manipulate the ribbon. Then take a look at the link to the Developer's Ribbon site link that I had in the prior post. It includes some module code that you can add into your db, and I think I mention the appropriate spots for where to put it.
may just decide to fold it in and create a version 10 of the side menu interface myself. My real hesitation is probably the thought in the back of my head that says "is this REALLY the best solution?"

lkbree51
post Jul 20 2011, 10:21 AM
Post#44

Thanks again
But I am still not very clear where to insert this because I can not find what you are refferring to... < src="style_emoticons/default/confused.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />
I am not that good with code yet,,,but am trying to learn a little about it... reading.gif
Larry

jazzthieve
post Jul 21 2011, 03:34 PM
Post#45

Hi there jhcarrel, I love this design and after some modifications I'm planning to use it aswell. I'm also getting the same 2450 error when trying to log out.
i>"Error 2450 (My Database cannot find the referenced form 'frmDesktop'.) in procedure SideMenuWidth of ModPublicFunctions"
The error occurs on all access levels 1 to 4, this is with your latest version 0.9 without any modifications.

cocoflipper
post Jul 21 2011, 04:12 PM
Post#46

Check out post #98 on this thread to fix error 2450

jazzthieve
post Jul 21 2011, 04:34 PM
Post#47

My apologies, I did not notice your post. All is well now, thanks.

lkbree51
post Jul 22 2011, 05:39 AM
Post#48

Guess I will just have to wait for Verision 10 to come out because this old dummy is at a lose here... pullhair.gif
arry

jhcarrell
post Jul 25 2011, 12:31 PM
Post#49

I've been tied up with other projects and have not had a chance to continue work on the side menu. Hopefully, as I'll have more time to focus on further improvements on the interface in coming weeks.

skynet
post Jul 26 2011, 03:11 AM
Post#50

Hi Guys.
I have been using the side menu for a while. First in access 2003 and later in access 2007.
See my post on spa manager and Point of Sale using both versions of access.
My biggest problem has always been, in run mode if an error occurs and a debug is required the side menu freezes and i
have to log out.
Why is this so.

jhcarrell
post Jul 26 2011, 06:15 AM
Post#51

Debugging halts all code execution which interrupts the processes necessary for the interface to function properly. Upon resetting the project (when you're finished debugging) certain functions must be reinitiated in order for the interface to continue normal operation. This can be accomplished by closing are reopening the main form, although that certainly isn't the desired functionality for end users (not to mention they shouldn't see error messages with the debug option at all).
The solution to this issue is to add error handling to every function and sub in the application (a good practice for every application) to manage how access responds to both expected and unexpected errors.
The next version I release will have built-in error handling.
J

jhcarrell
post Jul 26 2011, 12:49 PM
Post#52

I believe I've pinpointed the cause for this.
o to frmSideMenuAdmin close event and look for this block of code:
CODE
    If Not IsNull(Me.OpenArgs) Then
        If CurrentProject.AllForms(Me.OpenArgs).IsLoaded Then
            Forms(Me.OpenArgs).Controls("ctlSideMenu").Form.sm.GroupSetup
        Else
            Forms("ctlSideMenu").sm.GroupSetup
        End If
    End If

Make sure it is not commented out (i.e. remove any ' marks at the beginning of each line).
Obelieve that should correct the issue.
J

josephbupe
post Jul 29 2011, 07:16 AM
Post#53

Hi J,
find your menu system to be useful and so I have migrated my database into it and I am having a very pleasant experience with it; I love it!
However, only one thing I am failing to complete is for the current user to view only their data based on their user name and access level when logged in, and for the Power /Admin user to view all the data belonging to all other users.
Please, can you kindly provide a demo on this.
I will be happy to be assisted.
Regards.
josephbupe

NigelShaw150
post Jul 31 2011, 08:04 PM
Post#54

Utterly Banned

Hi
ont know what the latest version is. i have completed the splitter bar and it works great in early tests. i am having a little trouble with the nav bar click as there was a large change for it to work with the splitter. This mean that i wont upload it tonight but, here are some screen shots....
This is based on v04

lkbree51
post Jul 31 2011, 09:29 PM
Post#55

Hi jhcarrell
Is this a newer Version of your Side Bar Menu than the V9 you last posted?
Many thanks for sharing all of your hard work with us...also thanks to all that have aided in it.
Lar

NigelShaw150
post Aug 1 2011, 12:56 AM
Post#56

Utterly Banned

Ahh,
did look around but didn't see a version 09? It's not a problem adding to it fir a most recent up to date version
Thanks
N

jhcarrell
post Aug 1 2011, 04:10 AM
Post#57

At the moment, version 09 is the current release. (see this post)
However, work on version 10 is well underway.
Nigel, I should note version 10 will have a slightly modified layout in regards to the Nav bar.
J

jhcarrell
post Aug 1 2011, 04:31 AM
Post#58

Thanks Larry.
While this interface is a continual work in progress, I hope that it at least serves as a modest example of what is possible with a bit of code, creativity, and a lot of persistence.
J

port_call
post Aug 1 2011, 09:18 AM
Post#59

Is there anyway you can add more than 20 items in each Menu/ SubMenu?

jhcarrell
post Aug 1 2011, 10:57 AM
Post#60

Yes, the code can be altered to allow more than 20 items.

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    12th November 2019 - 04:14 AM