UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Migrating 2003 .mdb File To 2010 .accdb File, Access 2010    

Rose_gardener
post Mar 24 2020, 04:57 PM
Post#1

Hello All:

This question involves the need to convert 100s of .mdb files to .accdb files in a 2010 version of Access. Details of the problem follow:

* This client is VERY large, 1000s of employees
* They want to migrate all their access dbs to 2016 and know they need to migrate older .mdbs through their 2010 version before moving the files into 2016
* Today I did some testing with one user who had a 2003 version .mdb file. When he followed Microsoft's instructions for upgrading the .mdb file to 2010, he was not allowed to select .accdb file type. I've attached a screen shot showing that he only has a File Type option of "Microsoft Access Database".

So... I created a brand new .accdb database file, imported all objects with no problem and his new .accdb database is working great.

The problem is that he has at least 21 .mdb files (I know, I know, ... I can't change their habits - I just have to help them solve problems) Anyway, he wants to save the 21 files he has for their history, so there is no discarding them. He makes a new database every month to analyze data pulled out of a proprietary system.

Beyond that - he is only ONE user in an organization with 1000s of employees.

Does anyone here have any idea how to convert several 100 .mdb files to an .accdb format using 2010? It is frustrating that the "Save as Type" option is ONLY "Microsoft Access Database" and that users can't select .accdb as a file type.

Thank you in advance for your advice
This post has been edited by Rose_gardener: Mar 24 2020, 05:08 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Conversion_Issues_Screen_Shot.JPG ( 61.34K )Number of downloads: 5
Attached File  conversion.JPG ( 61.98K )Number of downloads: 3

Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Mar 24 2020, 05:45 PM
Post#2

UA Moderator

Hi Rose. Rather than use Save As, try using Save & Publish. Hope that helps...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

DanielPineault
post Mar 24 2020, 05:48 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

theDBguy is correct as usual. I too have been caught off guard and never understood the why behind this? Save As, like with any other application, should have the option there, no clue why the Dev Team went against the grain on this, I find it confusing.

You may also want to look over https://www.devhut.net/2016/09/18/convert-mdbs-into-accdbs/ (be sure to backup things prior to trying).

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2020 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

Rose_gardener
post Mar 25 2020, 09:03 AM
Post#4

Thank you theDBGuy:

Do you know of any program out there that can find .mdb files and convert them to .accdb files?

This organization has 1000s of users. Their initial inventory showed 10s of 1000s of .mdb files. Of course they will be encouraging users to jettison old and unused .mdb files, but still - there are a lot of .mdb files that need to be converted to .accdb in 2010 before the organization moves to 2016 this fall (assuming COVID-19) doesn't interrupt the timeline.

Thanks in advance - Rose

Rose_gardener
post Mar 25 2020, 09:07 AM
Post#5

DanielPineault - thank you for the link, I just did a quick review. Have you personally used this DB Format Upgrader?

Thanks in advance - Rose

cheekybuddha
post Mar 25 2020, 09:08 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess Moderator

@Rose,

Did you check the link in Daniel's post?

[Edit: Too late!!]

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

DanielPineault
post Mar 25 2020, 11:59 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

I made it to try and help others facing similar mass upgrade needs. Way back when, yes, I used it for a client.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2020 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

Rose_gardener
post Mar 25 2020, 01:27 PM
Post#8

Thank you. I will recommend testing it to my client then. Your advice/help is much appreciated.

FrankRuperto
post Mar 25 2020, 01:43 PM
Post#9

QUOTE (Daniel)
I made it to try and help others facing similar mass upgrade needs. Way back when, yes, I used it for a client.

Was reviewing your mass converter app's code. Interesting concept and creative. It's basically using the conversion method and suppressing any messages. Depending on the format it would work good on simple db's, but anything with vba or addins it won't. I suppose when you open the converted db's you would see all the errors either way, including converted mdb forms with calendar widgets, custom PDF subs, ULS, etc. We've done several 2003 with vba code to 2010 conversions and had to manually debug the converted frontends one by one.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Mar 25 2020, 02:36 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  DatePickerErr.PNG ( 86.81K )Number of downloads: 5

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix, Oracle & PostgreSQL db's.

tina t
post Mar 25 2020, 02:25 PM
Post#10

They want to migrate all their access dbs to 2016 and know they need to migrate older .mdbs through their 2010 version before moving the files into 2016

hi Rose, here's my question: why must you migrate through A2010 first?

last summer i converted all my company's A97 dbs to A2003, using A2003. then converted all the A2003 dbs to .accdb format using A2016. no need to involve A2010.

i will say that it took me quite some time to test and fix the FE dbs, after conversion. some things i thought would be a problem worked fine, like the code i use to send Outlook emails, and manipulate Excel files. and some very simple things simply would not work, or worked in some forms but not in others, like requerying a subform from code running in the mainform. i mean i had to test everything to find out what worked and what didn't.

but the conversions themselves worked with no problem. i set up a table to hold filepaths and filenames, and passwords where needed, and used code that i put together from the internet, including some from Daniel's website, i'm pretty sure. i was able to convert about 50 BE dbs, listed in the table, in just a few minutes.

and btw, i didn't have to do anything to the BE dbs after conversion. all the mop-up i did was on the FE dbs.

hth
tina

--------------------
"the wheel never stops turning"

FrankRuperto
post Mar 25 2020, 02:50 PM
Post#11

All newer Access versions can open mdb's. Just because an mdb converts to an accdb and shows no compiler errors doesn't necessarily mean everything works. you might come across something that breaks as you're using the app, and you have to fix them one by one until you get all the kinks out as you encounter them.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Mar 25 2020, 02:55 PM

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix, Oracle & PostgreSQL db's.

FrankRuperto
post Mar 26 2020, 08:57 AM
Post#12

QUOTE (Rose)
...need to convert 100s of .mdb files to .accdb...This organization has 1000s of users. Their initial inventory showed 10s of 1000s of .mdb files...

I find it odd an organization with thousands of users has tens of thousands of mdb files. Is each mdb frontend unique, or a copy of a same frontend linked to a shared backend is being used by each employee within a department? Do employees create the same type of applications on a regular basis? (I've seen this happen a lot, example, an employee creates a new Access app each month for the same data, as if it were a monthly excel sheet that will link with other monthly sheets). The sooner you find out more details about the composition of the "10s of 1000s of .mdb files", the better!
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Mar 26 2020, 09:29 AM

--------------------

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    8th July 2020 - 05:36 PM