UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access - Power Cut Issues, Access 2010    

Alexander
post Sep 16 2019, 02:49 PM
Post#1

Just an observation as I am having more than my share of clients with issues after power outs on their applications.

Typically the application will not open and a message says "unrecognised format".

I can get in and see the data but normally half the tables are missing.

I would say most on Windows 10 so wonderig if something connected with Windows?

Does anyone have the same type issue and any solution?

Thanks

--------------------
Alexander
Keep using the sunscreen!
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Sep 16 2019, 03:00 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Alexander. Which versions of Windows 10? There have been issues since Build 1803 through 1903.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

Alexander
post Sep 16 2019, 03:05 PM
Post#3

Good to hear from you DBguy ...

I was not aware of any Windows updates issues on Access applications but in my own case I keep right up to date but I cannot speak for my clients and in most cases they would not know such fine detail.

I had wrongly thought that Access automatically saved as you went along but time for some reading on this subject.

Thanks

--------------------
Alexander

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 16 2019, 03:23 PM
Post#4

UA Admin

"...power outs"? As in the computer shuts down abruptly because it loses power unexpectedly?

If that's the case, and it were MY Access Relational Database Application, I'd be hot to find a more reliable environment regardless of what you do with Access.

If I'm reading this right, Access CAN'T be counted on to "save automatically" in anticipation of an upcoming power loss. The same is true, of course, of any other application, such as Word, which does support automatic saving. If the power goes out, things go bad. You may have a recently saved backup, but you can't prevent losses of some data when the electricity goes away.

Now, there may be some things you can control. One might be to move the back end into a more stable database, such as SQL Server. The Express version of SQL Server is a free download and can replace the Access BE with some adaptations that are not onerous in most situations. Because of the way data is read/written, SQL Server is inherently less susceptible to power losses.

But ultimately, I'm pretty sure you'll get better returns from upgrading the network environment than from trying to second-guess what Access might do on that network.
This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: Sep 16 2019, 03:24 PM

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

Alexander
post Sep 16 2019, 03:39 PM
Post#5

Many thanks George ...

I just seemed to be getting more clients informing me of this issue but agree with you that some steps need to be taken to eliminate this problem.

Of course it is a wake up call for backing up on a regular basis. Maybe this could be automatically included on normal shut down?

Thanks

--------------------
Alexander

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 16 2019, 03:57 PM
Post#6

UA Admin

A good backup protocol is essential.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

zocker
post Sep 16 2019, 04:51 PM
Post#7

Utterly Eccentric and Moderator

Why don't you get your users to invest in Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)? Available in various capacities from £60 upwards, they allow continuing work inc. printing, protection against power surges and graceful exit from applications.

Zocker

--------------------
I would like to remind members and visitors that UtterAccess is a NON SMOKING website. In that respect, it is the worlds first Thank you for not smoking.

Alexander
post Sep 16 2019, 05:29 PM
Post#8

Thanks Zocker ...

I had forgotten about these systems but my question was about the recent increase in such issues (it could be a power failure or a flat battery on a laptop) but in the past the applications worked on power up. Now in some cases they get this unrecognised format message and the application will not open. I just asked in case others had a solution.

Thanks

--------------------
Alexander

kfield7
post Sep 17 2019, 09:41 AM
Post#9

UPS: Also be sure the server, routers, switches, etc. are on UPS, and the server has a delayed shut down with warnings.
This post has been edited by kfield7: Sep 17 2019, 09:42 AM

JohnvanSomeren
post Sep 17 2019, 10:13 AM
Post#10

My biggest piece of software backs up the back end database (treating it as a file and using the FileSystemObject). The first user who logs in each morning gets the overhead, but it is seconds, not minutes.

This is not at all subtle, but our environment is slow moving and this is good enough for us.

I will gladly post the entire code. It relies on a file of users and a field in each user record of the most recent time they logged in. A tedious overhead if you don't have one already. The code includes establishing the name of the current database file programmatically and building a file name for the back up which contains the date and time in the file name. I discovered that the CopyFile method of the FileSystemObject was (and probably still is) totally unreliable when setting the 'last-update' time in the folder's directory. Two backups, minutes apart, would have identical times: often the seconds would be zeroes etc.

Anyway, glad to help if I can. Just post a request.

Regarding UPS systems: coincidentally I have just suggested one. Remember to include the cost of a desk lamp in your budget! I suggested 30 minutes capacity to the boss because that gives us time to wait 15 minutes for power to come back on and fifteen minutes to let all users know (in six offices) to save everything and put the kettle on.

Hope this helps
John

Alexander
post Sep 17 2019, 12:41 PM
Post#11

Nice one John and LOL on the lamp and the 30- minutes BUT good thinking all round.

My clients are all single users, mostly on desktop computers.

I would be very pleased to see the code and appreciate your comments and help.

I had looked at a simple COPY and PASTE of the _BE but could not find a way to do this automatically.

Thanks again

--------------------
Alexander

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th October 2019 - 10:22 AM