UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pre-populated Fields On Subform Don't Populate Main Form, Access 2016    

AndyKP
post Dec 5 2019, 02:53 PM
Post#1

Hi all. This is my first time posting so please bear with me as I am NOT a programmer. (I work at a ballet company!). I created an MS Access database to manage all of the community education and outreach events that we do. I initially created 2 tables: EventsTbl (which houses info about dates, times, locations, catchments, notes, status, etc.) for our events. PK is EventID. And I created a VenuesTbl (which houses info for each venue we contact: name, address, etc.). PK is VenueID. There is a one-to-many relationship between VenueID and Event ID>

I created a form to input info into the EventsTbl. This form includes a VenueID combo box. I created a sub-form (subfrm_Venues Location Info) so that when I choose a VenueID, the subform pre-populates the street name, city, postal code, country, etc. Which it does. My BIG problem is that the location info that pre-populates the subForm does not get populated into the main table, EventsTbl. Is there a way to pull the location info into the EventsTbl via the VenueID or by the pre-popped subForm? It's really messing with my Events in Location query I'm trying to build. Thanks in advance for any help.
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Dec 5 2019, 02:57 PM
Post#2

UA Moderator

Hi. Welcome to UtterAccess! welcome2UA.gif

You may not have your tables set up properly. For example, it sounds like one event can have multiple venues, correct? However, can one venue hold multiple/different events as well? If so, you'll need a third table for that.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 5 2019, 04:09 PM
Post#3

UA Admin

i agree with theDBGuy's assessment. Although it's hard to judge from a high-level overview, it sounds like you can have multiple events at each venue. And each "event" can occur at multiple venues? Is that correct?

Rather than go much further down the interface design path, we need to ensure that all of the tables are set up properly to handle your organization's needs.

One good source to start is here. Invest time and effort in understanding as much as possible about proper table design. Then return to look at forms.

I have a series of YouTube videos that might also be helpful.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

AndyKP
post Dec 12 2019, 09:39 AM
Post#4

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, one venue can host multiple events. But each event is only at one venue.

AndyKP
post Dec 12 2019, 09:41 AM
Post#5

thanks so much for your feedback. I have some videos to watch!

theDBguy
post Dec 12 2019, 10:50 AM
Post#6

UA Moderator

Hi. Good luck. Please come back if you have more questions. Cheers!

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas

AndyKP
post Dec 17 2019, 09:49 AM
Post#7

I followed the tutorials and am happy to report that I revised my database table structures and all is working perfectly now. Thanks for all the help!!

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 17 2019, 09:52 AM
Post#8

UA Admin

Congratulations on resolving the problems. If you run into problems again, please come back and ask.

Continued success with the project.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

theDBguy
post Dec 17 2019, 11:30 AM
Post#9

UA Moderator

Hi Andy. Good job! Good luck with your project.

--------------------

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    19th January 2020 - 01:52 PM