UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access 2007 Rt App With Access (365?), Access 2007    

ztatzau
post Nov 18 2018, 02:47 PM
Post#1

Having a problem with my A2K7RT App running correctly with Access (365?). I distribute a split (FE/BE) A2K7RT App with SSE Setup. The SSE Setup package searches the target computer for Access 2007 SP2 or newer and, if found, installs my app to run with the Access program that's already installed. If no Access is found on the machine, my setup program installs the Access 2007 SP2 RT program. This has always worked well for me until the wide proliferation of computers coming with pre-installed versions of Office 365. Until only recently this has not presented a problem and, depending on the problem, I've always been able to sort things out and get things running correctly.

This particular problem however is something I've never seen before and hoping I can get some help with this!

The client has new Lenovo Windows 10 computer. Apparently, the computer came with Office (365?) preinstalled though the client was not aware of this. My Setup program, however, seems to have discovered the preinstalled Access and proceeded to install my app successfully. However on startup, the following "READ ONLY"Warning Message appeared at the top of the opening screen...

The Warning Message appears at the top of my opening screen with in a yellow bar the letter "i" in a little blue circle followed by, "READ-ONLY This database has been opened read-only. You can only change data in linked tables. To make design changes, save a copy of the database"... followed by a "SAVE AS" button.

(NOTE! I tried to upload an image of the Warning Message saved on a popular image sharing site (TinyPic) but apparently this is not permitted on UA. Can anyone tell me how to upload an image that will be allowed here?)

Has anyone else ever seen this particular "READ ONLY" warning message or tell me what may be causing it? Or what clicking the "SAVE AS" button will do? Or how else to correct this problem?

I am hesitant to advise the client to click the "Save As" button because I have no idea what's going on or what saving a copy of the database may do! I would appreciate any advice on how to proceed!
ZT
Go to the top of the page

Doug Steele
post Nov 18 2018, 03:48 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Have you installed the application in a trusted location?

I'm not aware of any issues uploading images. I do it all the time...

• Use the Browse button in the bottom right-hand corner to locate the file
  • Use the Upload button beside the Browse button to upload it
  • Place the cursor where in the post you want the image
  • Click on Manage Current Attachments above the Browse button
  • Click on the left-most icon beside the file you want to attach

Attached File  An_uploaded_image.jpg ( 7.55K )Number of downloads: 0

--------------------
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP (2000-2018)
Personal webpage
Microsoft profile
Co-author: Access Solutions: Tips, Tricks, and Secrets from Microsoft Access MVPs, published by Wiley
Co-author: Effective SQL: 61 Specific Ways to Write Better SQL, published by Addison-Wesley Professional
Technical Editor: Access 2010 Bible, Access 2013 Bible, Access 2016 Bible, all published by Wiley
Technical Editor: SQL Queries for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On Guide to Data Manipulation in SQL, 4th Edition, published by Addison-Wesley Professional

ztatzau
post Nov 18 2018, 05:53 PM
Post#3

Hi Doug, Thanks much for your reply!

My SSE Setup locations creates the appropriate trusted locations in the registry. However, when Office (and Access) 365 is installed the installation location is not always predictable (if Office is even installed on the physical computer) and so the trusted locations are not always created successfully. I agree that, no trusted locations, is likely the cause of the problem I described. I'm working with the client now, who has no need for Office, to remove what did indeed turn out to be Office 365. I will then have the client uninstall my app... restart computer... and reinstall my app. Hopefully, SSE will then find no previously installed Access and install the access RT provided with my setup package and everything will run fine! I'll post again with the results!

As for the image upload... your instructions seems to have worked fine... Previously, I tried using "Attach Image" Icon to the right of the Emoticons and that only provided for entering a URL. Your solution seems to have worked much better for me. Thanks for the info!

Attached File  ReadOnlyBar_1.jpg ( 45.51K )Number of downloads: 2

ZT

FrankRuperto
post Nov 18 2018, 06:53 PM
Post#4

Keep in mind that when O365 is installed, it runs within an App-V virtual container, (a/k/a Click_To_Run), and the A2007 RunTime is an MSI version, which runs outside of the O365 App-V container.
That being said, since you have no need for O365, make sure all the O365 leftover components and registry values are completely removed, as I have encountered problems like this in the past.

--------------------
Currently supporting many Pawnshops that use my Management System with Access 2010 on Windows7. Ham Radio addict since 1978.

ztatzau
post Nov 18 2018, 07:11 PM
Post#5

Thanks again Doug! And thanks to you too Frank for your reply.

Well I had the client completely uninstall Office and MyApp via the Windows control panel... restart the computer... and then re-install MyApp. Because there was no longer any Office installed the software pre-requisite test failed (as expected) and SSE Setup 8.5 installed the Access 2007 RT included with my setup package before proceeding to Install MyApp. The installation appeared to complete successfully.

Unfortunately, when MyApp opened with the A2K7RT, the same (or similar... i.e. Access365 vs. Access2007RT) READ-ONLY Warning Message appeared again at the top of the opening screen. Any suggestions or advice on how to proceed are much appreciated.

ZT

FrankRuperto
post Nov 18 2018, 07:54 PM
Post#6

It looks like there's some O365 remnant values in the registry, or installing A07RT on Windows10 is causing it. Perhaps installing full Office2007 version can solve problem?
As you can see from my brief profile statement below this reply, all my users are running A2010 on Windows7. We have all hoarded several stand-by Win7 computers with Office 2010 Professional installed in case a production machine breaks down, and have no intentions of ever upgrading past Office2010 and Win7. BTW, If you try to install Win7 on a new computer, it wont work. You can thank Microsoft and all their OEM Computer MAnufacturers for that.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Nov 18 2018, 08:06 PM

--------------------
Currently supporting many Pawnshops that use my Management System with Access 2010 on Windows7. Ham Radio addict since 1978.

ztatzau
post Nov 18 2018, 08:42 PM
Post#7

Thanks again for your reply Frank!

RE: "It looks like there's some O365 remnant values in the registry, or installing A07RT on Windows10 is causing it..."

You may be right! I had another problem on a Windows 10 computer where my A2K7RT App was running fine with the A2K7RT and then after a Windows 10 Automatic Update or other third party software automatic updates MyApp quit working. This problem was solved by uninstalling the A2K7RT and installing the A2K13RT. So A2K7RT on an "up-to-date" Windows 10 may be a problem.

This current problem, however, seems to be a Trusted Location problem. Can you, or anyone else here tell me how to create a trusted location without full blown Access installed without manually editing the Registry, or worse, having the user edit their registry. I remember there was some discussion here about an App that would create trusted locations in such circumstances but IIRC the App was in German. Does anyone else remember this and could point me to that App? And was there ever an English language version of that app created?

And, other than uninstalling from Windows Control Panel Or Windows 10 App Settings' uninstall window, and a reboot, how does one ensure that "all remnants of Office 365" are removed?
ZT

FrankRuperto
post Nov 18 2018, 09:16 PM
Post#8

I think your users are going to need the full Office2007 version to add Trusted Locations. I dont distribute runtimes anymore because it also disables the right-click context menus in Access, and my app uses a custom context menu which my users use alot. As to adding Trusted Locations without having full Office version, not sure, but maybe in Win10 GroupPolicy (run gpedit.msc) you might be able to make it work.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Nov 18 2018, 10:02 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  AcTrustedLocations.PNG ( 156.35K )Number of downloads: 6
Attached File  gpedit.PNG ( 398.15K )Number of downloads: 5

--------------------

FrankRuperto
post Nov 18 2018, 10:24 PM
Post#9

Try this first: change these registry values:

CODE
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Access\Security\Trusted Locations]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Access\Security\Trusted Locations\Location(n)]

So the registry values should look like this:

CODE
"Path"="C:\YourDBpath\"
"AllowSubfolders"=dword:00000001
"Description"="whatever description"
"Date"="11/18/2018 12:00"

If the trusted location is on a network location then you need to add:

CODE
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Access\Security\Trusted Locations] "AllowNetworkLocations"=dword:00000001

hth

This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Nov 18 2018, 10:31 PM

--------------------

R. Hicks
post Nov 18 2018, 11:04 PM
Post#10

UA Forum Administrator

I think you will find that using the uninstall feature to remove Microsoft Office will not completely remove at traces of the Office application(s).
You need to search the Microsoft site and locate a removal utility for the specific version of Office installed that will remove all remnants and traces.

R.

--------------------
Ricky Hicks
Birmingham, Alabama USA

ztatzau
post Nov 19 2018, 02:39 PM
Post#11

Thanks again Frank for your help! I'm not very familiar with editing the registry and even less enthused about instructing the long distance client to do so over the phone. I do however plan to look into this and see what I can glean!

I appreciate your reply too R. Hicks. I'll be checking out the info on the MS Office Support website to learn more about their Office removal tool.

ZT

ztatzau
post Nov 21 2018, 01:36 AM
Post#12

Well, the problem is solved! And this was indeed a new one for me!

It turns out that, while the problem computer was brand new to the client, it was purchased as an "open box special" from one of the popular big box stores. I suspect the computer was used as a store demo and, in an apparent effort to lock down the demo computer, the default Windows 10 "Authenticated Users" entries had been removed from the root drive's Advanced Security Settings which essentially made the folders on the root drive, including the newly created C:\MyApp folder, "READ-ONLY".

Once the two missing "Authenticated Users" entries were added back into the root drive's Advance Security Settings window, MyApp opened normally and everything seems to be working fine now!

Thanks again to everyone who replied and tried to help!

ZT

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    10th December 2018 - 07:01 PM