UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need A Simple Database - Paid Work    

LumberBoy
post Jul 5 2019, 03:01 AM
Post#1

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask...?

Im looking for someone to make me a very simple access database to create/capture purchase orders and then receipt invoices against these orders when received.
Possible that there could be multiple invoices received against the one order, but usually they will be one to one matching.
A simple form would be required to quickly enter the orders and a function needed to search the order records to add invoice details when they come in and mark these as "completed" some how.
Will need a supplier form/table as well and a couple of simple reports to show monthly spending values from the records.
No more 2-4, most will be using runtime 2010, but a couple of admins including me will have the full version of access.
Approx 100 records per month.
Prefer a all in one database, not split BE/FE.

Happy to send a list of the table and fields required to get started.
Happy to paypal some funds to cover the time, could be ongoing work on this or another simple DB i made.

Anyone interested P.M an idea of price etc.
Thanks,
JohnG from New Zealand.

Go to the top of the page

tina t
post Jul 5 2019, 04:12 AM
Post#2

well, i'm not looking for a job, but have a few comments to offer:

Prefer a all in one database, not split BE/FE.

that's a really bad idea. using a monolithic db in a multi-user environment is just begging for corruption. and i have no idea if some users using runtime while others are using full version - at the same time, on the same monolithic db - might cause more problems.

a very simple access database to create/capture purchase orders and then receipt invoices against these orders when received.

an Access application is almost never as simple as you think it's going to be before you actually start designing it. not because it's Access, but because that's the nature of relational databases supporting real-world processes, in general.

have you considered that it might be cheaper, and safer, to go with proven OTC software? Quicken and QuickBooks come to mind, though i've never used either one, just seen the advertising over the years, but i'd guess there are a lot of choices out there if you google.

anyway, just a few thoughts that you may or may not find helpful - though i really recommend that you very seriously consider the first one. good luck! :)

hth
tina
This post has been edited by tina t: Jul 5 2019, 04:13 AM

--------------------
"the wheel never stops turning"

GroverParkGeorge
post Jul 5 2019, 07:36 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

Everything Tina said.

It's NEVER a good idea to deploy a single file Access application to more than one user. Even a SINGLE user, single accdb file, Access application is questionable.

I use Quicken, which costs under $100, IIRC. Quickbooks is somewhat more, and my understanding is that they are pushing their "cloud" version--just like everyone else these days.

Do some math and see if it's really cost effective to hire a custom Access application.

A competent Access developer may change anywhere from $60 to $120 an hour. Maybe more or a bit less, but if you hire someone whose rates are less than that, you're likely to be disappointed, I suspect. The top people in our profession charge well over $200 an hour.

So, let's say you hire an inexpensive person at $60/hour.

Now, a "simple" accounting database application might take 20 to 40 hours to do right. Possibly longer, but let's say this really is so simple it takes 20 hours.

You are now at $1,200 for this Access database application. I would expect that to mean a bare-bones minimum and likely NOT to be realistic.

Is that in your budget?

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

GroverParkGeorge
post Jul 5 2019, 07:40 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

BTW. The number of transactions per week or per month probably has little bearing on the complexity of the Access database application required.

Also,the rates mentioned in my first post are US dollars, so you'll need to plan accordingly for the exchange rate.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

GroverParkGeorge
post Jul 5 2019, 09:21 AM
Post#5

UA Admin

One other consideration comes to mind.

Since most accounting packages available today are likely to be subscription based, rather than perpetual licenses, your on-going costs for such a commercial package COULD exceed the one-time cost of developing a custom solution. It's not all black-and-white. I threw out the cost angle as an awareness issue.

That said, I'd still look long and hard at both alternatives before signing a development contract.

I know that I built my own custom Access application and enhanced it over the years. At this point, I have several hundred hours in it over the last 20 years. It's worth it to me both as an exercise in "making it work" and in trying out new ideas from time to time, and also as a tool to track my consulting practice when I was still working. It's so highly customized, though, I'd really not consider offering it to others without a serious overhaul. And that's the good and the bad of a custom application. It's tailored to one situation and not easily modified for others.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

projecttoday
post Jul 8 2019, 04:10 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

Do the receipts ever have to be split across more than one purchase?

--------------------
Robert Crouser

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th July 2019 - 05:29 PM