UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V  1 2 >  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Outlook Email Layout, Access 2007    

johan
post May 2 2019, 02:22 AM
Post#1

I use automation for emails form Access to Outlook 2007. I surf the web and see that there is away of making your email layout look nice with HTML and CSS coding, but really do not know where to start or how to proceed with it. I attach a layout which I would like to implement. Maybe there is a HTML guru on this forum that can help me.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Picture1.jpg ( 257.4K )Number of downloads: 16

--------------------
Johan
Winners don't do different things, they do things different.
Go to the top of the page

JonSmith
post May 2 2019, 03:02 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

I always say, when using Outlook, skip all that noise.

Make a .oft file (Outlook Template file) and then simply load that whenever you want to send a mail. It makes it super easy to edit the mail.

JS

DanielPineault
post May 2 2019, 05:14 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

I wouldn't create such an e-mail. I'd generate an Access report (since it is a standard document) and save it as a PDF and attach that to a simple email. This also makes it easier for clients to print it out without all the extra e-mail header/footer ...

If you want to go the route of HTML/CSS, you have 2 choices: table layout or DIV with CSS positioning. The bigger issue is that Outlook is absolutely horrible with CSS, so be ready for fun times ahead and what you preview is not always what shows up on the other end!

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

johan
post May 2 2019, 05:23 AM
Post#4

Thanks Daniel, I rather leave as it is now.

--------------------
Johan

jleach
post May 2 2019, 05:41 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess Editor

>> Outlook is absolutely horrible with CSS <<

I concur. HTML/CSS formatting in emails is one of the most horrendous undertakings I've ever had the displeasure of trying to do.

It's not just Outlook either. Outlook is bad enough on it's own, but trying to find something that will work with every major mail client (Outlook, gmail, yahoo, etc) which all render them differently is ridiculous.

In the end, I spent a lot of money on a good designer who deals specifically with this issue for when I really needed it.

(fun tip: you can pretty much ignore every "standard" CSS practice there is to be found when working here: email clients just don't play by the same rules as typical browsers, so you wind up with some fubar'd concoction that makes your soul wilt...)

If you do try to do it, stick to tables and inline styles.

Enjoy! smile.gif

--------------------

cheekybuddha
post May 2 2019, 05:46 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

>> If you do try to do it, stick to tables and inline styles. <<

Hi Jack,

It's just so wrong when this is the best advice! pullhair.gif

hat_tip.gif

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

DanielPineault
post May 2 2019, 06:53 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

In the end, I spent a lot of money on a good designer who deals specifically with this issue for when I really needed it.

Yes, I just finished developing a complex signature for one of my clients and it's taken 2 weeks of development and testing to get something that renders reliably in everything we could test with (Outlook, Thunderbird, Android, Apple, GMail, Hotmail, Yahoo, Horde, RoundCube, ...). When I agreed to help I had no clue what I was getting myself into. Microsoft is soooooo very behind the times on this front.

It's just so wrong when this is the best advice!

Ain't that the truth, but sadly it is the reality of the situation. The simpler you can keep things, the better. So avoid any advanced CSS tricks and if it can be done without CSS at all, then that is the better route for Outlook signatures.

--------------------

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

GroverParkGeorge
post May 2 2019, 07:00 AM
Post#8

UA Admin

Just wondering, if the "best" advice is "so wrong", why bother to call it either? I have long wondered why we don't put our primary emphasis on "most effective"....

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

cheekybuddha
post May 2 2019, 07:03 AM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

It's kinda like saying to someone that the easiest way to get an ice cream is to go and steal it off the little kid in that pram over there rather than earn the money and go and buy one from the van!

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

jleach
post May 2 2019, 07:07 AM
Post#10

UtterAccess Editor

Every general practice for HTML/CSS points to tables for layouts and inline CSS as being blasphemy.

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post May 2 2019, 07:11 AM
Post#11

UA Admin

I get all that, but the advice given here is to use tables ANYWAY, because they work in this situation. Or am I misreading the suggestions?

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

GroverParkGeorge
post May 2 2019, 07:24 AM
Post#12

UA Admin

I used the phrase, "most effective", not "easiest", for a reason.

I don't think stealing is "the most effective" approach to life.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

cheekybuddha
post May 2 2019, 07:30 AM
Post#13

UtterAccess VIP

When it comes to ice cream, all bets are off! wary.gif

wink.gif

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

GroverParkGeorge
post May 2 2019, 07:41 AM
Post#14

UA Admin

Agreed. Rocky Road being the most effective....

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

DanielPineault
post May 2 2019, 08:45 AM
Post#15

UtterAccess VIP

I get all that, but the advice given here is to use tables ANYWAY, because they work in this situation. Or am I misreading the suggestions?

In the world of Microsoft generated HTML and signature the common best practice (Divs and proper CSS) are to be ignored.

So in the real world -> Best Practice = Divs/CSS
For Microsoft signatures -> use old deprecated Tables and inline styles

So yes, the best practice for this thread is indeed to use tables, but for any normal HTML they are to be avoided at all cost. So which is the proper best practice? Do you promote what should be or do you promote what is as the best practice?! The whole thing is a horrid affair from start to finish the minute you get involved in advanced signatures!

New Best Practice: ONLY USE SIMPLE SIGNATURES!!!!!

--------------------

johan
post May 2 2019, 09:01 AM
Post#16

Thanks for all the replies. I forgot to mentioned tables in my first thread but looks as if it will be an huge task. Regarding the signature issue mine is simple I was only interested in beefing up the layout Outlook. As mention automated from Access.

--------------------
Johan

gemmathehusky
post May 2 2019, 09:39 AM
Post#17

UtterAccess VIP

I think maybe the big problem is that a relational database is really there to handle data well. Some presentational niceties aren't really part of the "rich set of features" that Access chucks in for the bargain cost of a full licence. (And IMO avoiding having to learn a C variant, or visual studio, and avoiding having to work out the code to required to link a dataset to a programming environment is a more that fair compromise)

--------------------
Dave (Male)

(Gemma was my dog)

jleach
post May 2 2019, 09:51 AM
Post#18

UtterAccess Editor

I don't think it's an issue with Access really. We can put in whatever html we want easily by setting the appropriate property on the Message object (and can easily pull an html template from a table or file or wherever else).

The email formatting/styling issue is there no matter which platform/language we use.

Cheers,

--------------------

johan
post May 4 2019, 02:55 AM
Post#19

Thank you Jack

--------------------
Johan

JonSmith
post May 4 2019, 04:33 AM
Post#20

UtterAccess VIP

Just gonna gently mention this again.

Don't try to write and html or CSS from scratch.

Make the email in Outlook with placeholders for all the bits you want to insert, encapsulate them with #Name# for example. Then save that email as an 'Outlook Template File ' (.oft).
Using Outlook Automation which you indicated as your preferred method, you can simply load this template file as a new mail, at that point just do a simple text replace on the various #Name# parts in your email and voila, you have a fully formatted mail.
In this way that signature is no problem as you have no knowledge of it in code, your code shouldn't care about the signature anyway and be abstracted to the point where it only inserts information from your database.

2 Pages V  1 2 >

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    21st August 2019 - 02:15 AM