UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Statistical Analisys Project.    

FrankRuperto
post Nov 21 2019, 07:41 PM
Post#1

I have been tinkering with this pet project that my nephew asked me to do to see if it can be done with Excel, but thinking its probably easier to do it with Access, or even the good old APL programming language. I have an Excel table (attached) with the last 430 USA Powerball lottery draws. In Sheet2 are the same numbers but in a single column along with the draw number. Each draw consist of picking five balls numbered from 1 to 69, and one poweball numbered from 1 to 26. For all intents and purposes, I am excluding the powerball number from the equation and only focusing on the first set of five balls. 430 draws ago, the powerball people decided to add more balls into the pot to make the odds of winning worse, so I am not including the previous draws which had less balls in the pot. So far I have managed to obtain the number of times each number has been drawn (frequency). My nephew also wants to know, by rank, which numbers have not been drawn in X number of draws, and to identify patterns of the five numbers that usually show up together in each draw. For finding out how many draws have gone by without a number showing up, In Access, I guess I would have to loop through each record, which includes the draw number and the set of five numbers, and do the math with the draw numbers for each number from 1 to 69. The other task of identifying patterns is hairy, so any suggestions are welcome. I am not a statistician by any means. Thanks uarulez2.gif
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Nov 21 2019, 07:46 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Draws.zip ( 30.49K )Number of downloads: 6

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.
Go to the top of the page

FrankRuperto
post Dec 13 2019, 10:29 AM
Post#2

UPDATE: Attached is a rudimentary Access app that basically allows me to enter new draw results. Then I have to run an update qry that clears all the populated number fields and re-populates them with latest draws I entered. I am not too happy with the limited UI formatting capabilities of Access datasheet table views, compared to what can be done in Excel, as can be seen in the comparison images. Do Access forms provide more formatting options when displaying datasheets? Perhaps exporting the updated table to Excel is a better idea, unless I'm unaware of more datasheet formatting capabilities? Its important for me to visualize the distribution of numbers and when they last occured.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Dec 13 2019, 10:34 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  LotteryNumbers.zip ( 86.19K )Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  acLottery.PNG ( 70.3K )Number of downloads: 9
Attached File  xlLottery.PNG ( 92.39K )Number of downloads: 9

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.

theDBguy
post Dec 13 2019, 11:24 AM
Post#3

UA Moderator

Hi Frank. Yes, I think a datasheet form would have more formatting options than a query or table.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

FrankRuperto
post Dec 13 2019, 03:04 PM
Post#4

I agree, I want to use sequentially numbered captions for the 69 number fields, have the form populate those fields after entering each draw results, etc. I have seen some Access apps in which the forms mimic Excel sheets because the users had only been using Excel to run their businesses and insisted the Access forms be designed that way, but I know that's not always a practical design.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Dec 13 2019, 03:09 PM

--------------------

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    15th December 2019 - 04:49 PM