UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Excel Import Worked, Data In Table, But Cannot Access Data Through Form, Access 2013    

cjduncan
post Jun 28 2019, 09:49 AM
Post#1

Hi!

I have successfully imported an excel file into my database, all the info is in the table. But when I pull up a form, I can't access those records. Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

Doug Steele
post Jun 28 2019, 09:52 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

What do you mean when you say "when I pull up a form, I can't access those records"? What's the recordsource for the form?

If the data's in the table, it shouldn't matter whether it was imported from Excel or entered manually.

--------------------
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP (2000-2018)
Personal webpage
Microsoft profile
Co-author: Access Solutions: Tips, Tricks, and Secrets from Microsoft Access MVPs, published by Wiley
Co-author: Effective SQL: 61 Specific Ways to Write Better SQL, published by Addison-Wesley Professional
Technical Editor: Access 2010 Bible, Access 2013 Bible, Access 2016 Bible, all published by Wiley
Technical Editor: SQL Queries for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On Guide to Data Manipulation in SQL, 4th Edition, published by Addison-Wesley Professional

MadPiet
post Jun 28 2019, 09:58 AM
Post#3

I guess you could make that happen by opening the form in Add mode... right?

cjduncan
post Jun 28 2019, 11:02 AM
Post#4

I had the form built off a query. I've never had this issue before. I have a table for lessons and imported that information. When I went to select a record or even navigate to a record, nothing was showing up. I changed the record source to the table itself and it worked. Am I missing something about making a form off a query?

cjduncan
post Jun 28 2019, 11:11 AM
Post#5

The add mode didn't work.

cjduncan
post Jun 28 2019, 11:19 AM
Post#6

I have a query because I have all of the lesson info but I also need to add a field from another record so the form would link to a subform. That additional field is what is messing it up.

Doug Steele
post Jun 28 2019, 01:27 PM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

Does the query return the data you expect? Is the query updatable?

--------------------
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP (2000-2018)
Personal webpage
Microsoft profile
Co-author: Access Solutions: Tips, Tricks, and Secrets from Microsoft Access MVPs, published by Wiley
Co-author: Effective SQL: 61 Specific Ways to Write Better SQL, published by Addison-Wesley Professional
Technical Editor: Access 2010 Bible, Access 2013 Bible, Access 2016 Bible, all published by Wiley
Technical Editor: SQL Queries for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On Guide to Data Manipulation in SQL, 4th Edition, published by Addison-Wesley Professional

GroverParkGeorge
post Jun 28 2019, 09:35 PM
Post#8

UA Admin

With regard to the importance of Doug'a question, read this on Allen Browne's site.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

fkegley
post Jun 30 2019, 06:18 PM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

Is the additional field coming from another table? It is possible you have created a non-updatable recordset.

--------------------
Frank Kegley, Microsoft Access 2010 MVP

cjduncan
post Jul 9 2019, 01:27 PM
Post#10

Oh! yes! it is coming from another table. it is a primary key field. so then it wouldn't be able to update correct?

fkegley
post Jul 9 2019, 03:41 PM
Post#11

UtterAccess VIP

George has supplied a link to Alan Browne's site. On that site there is an explanation of what makes a recordset non-updatable. I cannot quote it for you, so you should go there and read it for yourself.

--------------------
Frank Kegley, Microsoft Access 2010 MVP

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    19th October 2019 - 03:27 PM