UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Run Access On A Mobile Device, Access 2016    

rcsoft
post Aug 9 2019, 12:43 PM
Post#1

I have been tasked with finding out how to run Access on a handheld device that has blue tooth technology to interact with our network back end. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Go to the top of the page

strive4peace
post Aug 9 2019, 01:05 PM
Post#2

strive4peace

hi rcsoft (what is your name?)

Access is a desktop application. Therefore, my suggestion is to have a computer (can be a cheap laptop that runs when the lid is closed) for each field user that they can remote into. Their computer would be on and have their Access front-end so they can run the application. Alternatively, their front end might be on the server (connecting to a specific or virtual machine is best). Remote desktop gives good performance. A consideration, though, is screen size -- perhaps you need different layouts of the forms and reports they use?

This post has been edited by strive4peace: Aug 9 2019, 01:16 PM

--------------------
have an awesome day,
crystal

theDBguy
post Aug 9 2019, 01:11 PM
Post#3

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi. I agree with Crystal. Access wasn't designed to work with remote connections nor on mobile devices. I second the motion of using RDB, Citrix, or Terminal Services to make it work with mobile devices. Otherwise, your company might have to invest in a different RDBMS backend and develop a mobile app to access the data. Good luck!

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

rcsoft
post Aug 9 2019, 01:32 PM
Post#4

Thank you for your reply. I thought that devices were available that could run windows applications including Access that could also scan barcodes and take pictures. I will consider the "remote-in" approach.

Thanks again Bert...

jleach
post Aug 9 2019, 01:47 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess Editor

If you can get a tablet that runs a full version of windows, that'll be as close as you can get natively (without remoting in).

--------------------

theDBguy
post Aug 9 2019, 01:53 PM
Post#6

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

QUOTE (rcsoft)
Thank you for your reply. I thought that devices were available that could run windows applications including Access that could also scan barcodes and take pictures. I will consider the "remote-in" approach.

Thanks again Bert...

Hi Bert. That is correct. However, Access was also never designed with any intention to be used in a wireless network, so you will have to be wary of that because it might become an issue.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

strive4peace
post Aug 9 2019, 02:09 PM
Post#7

strive4peace

hi Bert,

theDBguy's wavehi.gif comment offers more alternatives. what is your use? type of data? will more handheld devices be added? sooner or later? how close are they to the network? how big are their screens?

And now I see that Jack jumped in with words to heed notworthy.gif Yes, the real issue is if your device can run Access ... So, if the handheld device can be a tablet and log in to the network, that's a great way to go.

This post has been edited by strive4peace: Aug 9 2019, 02:57 PM

--------------------
have an awesome day,
crystal

rcsoft
post Aug 9 2019, 02:35 PM
Post#8

Thanks again for you help, looks like the Surface Pro 6 might be a good choice.

isladogs
post Aug 9 2019, 03:25 PM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

I have an inexpensive 10 inch Linx 1010 Windows tablet running Access 2010 and its absolutely fine though with only 2GB RAM its slow on anything demanding.
I use it most of the time including responding to forum questions and checking attached databases.

However, for an app to work well on a tablet requires well designed forms that respond well to a touchscreen input.
Trying to use a tablet with a wireless connection to an Access BE is a recipe for corrupted data.
However depending on the circumstances there are usually ways to manage this safely.

--------------------

jleach
post Aug 9 2019, 03:32 PM
Post#10

UtterAccess Editor

If you have the option of going with a SQL Server backend, wireless connections there (with a modern driver) are much more stable than connecting wirelessly to Access.

Although, if the wireless network is very strong... much of the instability with Access over a wireless network is dated from times before wireless was everywhere, and I tend to think that things have gotten much better since. It's still a bit of a gamble though

--------------------

AlbertKallal
post Aug 10 2019, 11:41 AM
Post#11

UtterAccess VIP

Given that the application has to talk back to “home” base?

Well, then two choices I would recommend.

Expose your data as a web service. This assumes you are happy and familiar with web development, and can build a SOAP or REST URL for the Android application to “hit”.

However, even better is to use remote desktop. If you publish the application, then a simple short cut on the phone will launch the application on the smartphone or tablet, and you quite much done.

So, you might want to make some of the buttons “finger” friendly (larger). No separate windows – easy to use application, and you are quote much done.

So Remote desktop is often a great solution here, and you don’t need anything more than terminal services. At that point, any tablet or anything that has internet connection and supports remote desktop (RDP) will do the trick (and what these days don’t have a decent RDP client).

If you are bold, and want to write a android application, then I high recommend Basic 4 Android, and I really like the product and results it produces.

Regards,
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP 2003-2017)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    15th September 2019 - 05:51 PM