UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any Reason To Convert Back End Mdb File To Accdb Format?, Access 2010    

Gerrit
post Dec 3 2019, 06:42 PM
Post#1

I have my backend tables stored in the original MDB file format (Software originally started in Access97). Been like that for years without a problem. In fact I never noticed it was still in MDB format. Can add, modify and link to these tables with later versions of Access. Currently my front end is in ACCDB format.

Is there any reason I would need to change the format or blissfully carry on regardless? I do notice I cannot save the MDB file to a later version. I guess I would start with a new Access 2010 database and import the tables to create an new back end?
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Dec 3 2019, 07:35 PM
Post#2

UA Moderator

Hi. I guess the only reason would be is when MS totally drops support for all MDB files. Don't know when that could be, but when that time comes, you probably won't have any choice then.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

isladogs
post Dec 4 2019, 03:30 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

There are two main reasons for converting them:
1. The latest version that can open A97 files is A2010. If you have A2013 or later you will not be able to import the tables into a new ACCDB file
2. ACCDB files are more secure. See Compare Access File Security - MDB/MDE vs ACCDB/ACCDE

--------------------
Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
Website, email

DanielPineault
post Dec 4 2019, 05:23 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Considering that mdbs are at the very least 13 years old and Microsoft has slowly shown that it was dropping support (you can no longer open Access 2.0, '97 mdb files). I'd urge you to upgrade the file format to accdb just so you don't find yourself in a position where you can no longer use the file. The upgrade is a single command File->SaveAs select accdb and your done!

The one reason to hesitate obviously is if you use anything like ULS since ACCDBs can't support it.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

Gerrit
post Dec 4 2019, 11:06 AM
Post#5

As I said the mdb file (made with Access 2000 after upgrade from 97) when opened in 2010, wont allow a "save as" to accdb format, only as another mdb file.

There is nothing in the file but the back end tables. it is a storage container not a file that has code, workings or systems. I will however import them into a new accdb file and upgrade to the new format. Not a biggie just interested in how long it will continue to work.

Thanks for the replies.

DanielPineault
post Dec 4 2019, 11:12 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

Not a biggie just interested in how long it will continue to work.

No one can answer that question as none of us know Microsoft's intentions on that front. They could drop mdb support tomorrow, just as much as they could continue to support it for another 10 years.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

isladogs
post Dec 4 2019, 11:44 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

If my memory is correct, MS have always continued to support the last one or two previous versions.
So A2003 opened A2000 and A97 but not A95 IIRC.
So my guess is that A2003 MDB format will be supported at least until some new format replaces ACCDB which is now itself 13 years old.

Using A2010 I can save any MDB files made in A97 onwards as ACCDB. There is a warning that ULS is no longer supported and command bar menus are added to the ribbon as Add-ins. Otherwise there should be no issues.

--------------------
Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
Website, email

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    11th December 2019 - 10:02 AM