UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Reference Issue    

jpiper1921
post Dec 14 2018, 10:19 AM
Post#1

My work has multiple versions of MS Access. I was working in version MS Access 2003 dbase and all was good. Next day I mistakenly opened said dbase in MS Access 2019 and now the references window shows Microsoft Access 16.0 Object Library which I cannot remove no matter what I do. Microsoft Access 16.0 Object Library only shows when I use my PC. I used another PC that has only MS Access 2003 and opened same dbase and reference correctly shows Microsoft Access 11.0 Object Library.

Anyway, how do I fix my PC from showing Microsoft Access 16.0 Object Library when opening 2003 dbase. Thank you
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 14 2018, 10:57 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

Access WILL reference the CURRENT version of Office installed on the computer where you run it.

So, if you open this mdb on a computer with Office 2003 installed (and not on any other computer) it will reference Office 2003.

However, if you then open this same mdb on a computer with Office 2019 installed, it will change that reference to Office 2019.

The problem comes when you bring that same mdb back to the Office 2003 computer again. It will still retain that reference to Office 2019.

There are two fixes.

1) Preferable. Use Late Binding. That avoids the whole issue.

2) On the Office 2003 computer, reset the reference manually back to Office 2003.

Because your environment includes multiple Office versions, by far the safer approach is to convert to Late Binding.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

theDBguy
post Dec 14 2018, 12:47 PM
Post#3

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Just to add one more piece of advice, when developing an Access application for use in a multi-version environment, it is highly recommended to only make design changes using the lowest version. In other words, you should be fine "using" (or opening) the database in 2019, but if you need to make any changes to its design, open a "master" copy using 2003.

Note: This "master database" should only be opened in 2003. Just give everybody else a copy instead.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

jpiper1921
post Dec 14 2018, 01:23 PM
Post#4

Late Binding seems appropriate going forward, yet I'm not understanding how to fix my copy of Access 2003 at this point. How do I remove that unwanted reference?

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 14 2018, 02:50 PM
Post#5

UA Admin

I'm confused a bit. Perhaps I misread earlier?

Does the mdb NOT run correctly any longer on either 2003 or 2016? Or does it run correctly only on one or the other? Do you get reference errors on one or the other?

Access should be selecting the appropriate Access Object Library depending on where it is launched.

Attached File  Accessreference.jpg ( 142K )Number of downloads: 0

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

jpiper1921
post Dec 14 2018, 03:09 PM
Post#6

Right now when I try to make changes using Access 2003 it will not let me save form changes but shuts down Access. Your earlier comment is what I am seeing - "The problem comes when you bring that same mdb back to the Office 2003 computer again. It will still retain that reference to Office 2019."

I don't know how to setup Late Binding at this point to avoid issues like this. Just trying to resolve Access 2003 from using Access 16.0 Obj Library. Frustrated.

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 14 2018, 04:06 PM
Post#7

UA Admin

So, when you open it with Access 2003, what do you actually see there? Can you take a screenshot of the references?

Even better, though.

Does this mdb contain sensitive data? Is it properly split?

Perhaps someone can lend a hand in recovering it if you can share a copy.

" don't know how to setup Late Binding at this point to avoid issues like this. "

Did you not find anything useful at the link I posted above? Daniel goes into considerable detail as I recall?
This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: Dec 14 2018, 04:08 PM

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

GlenKruger
post Dec 16 2018, 02:42 PM
Post#8

Utterly Crispy UA Forum Administrator

You may find this link under Application Specific how to set references back to 2003 form 2016.

--------------------
Human nature, it is a funny thing and the hardest thing to program to prevent.
Glen Kruger KNKConsulting
MS Access MVP 2013-2018| Wrox Techincal Contributor

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th January 2019 - 07:04 AM