UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Data Connection Security Warning With Windows 10, Any Version    

msfarrar
post May 3 2019, 03:37 PM
Post#1

Good Afternoon!

I was the last hold out in my company to give up Windows 7 (not by choice, but by lottery). I have an excel file that gets updated monthly that has a data connection to access, and today was the first day I tried to update the file since I was upgraded to Windows 10 and Excel/Office 2016. Before this I had Windows 7 and Office 2013.

When I open the file, I get a warning that says I have a potential security concern, which is the link to the access database. The security notices has two options "Enable" or "Disable." If I click enable, my excel screen looks like a strobe light, and then just shows the grey background as if there is no workbook open. If I click disable, the screen just goes grey.

If I already have excel open, I get the same prompt, and it just shows me my open workbook, but not the workbook I am trying to open (with the link).

I tried changing my trust center settings to allow all data connections, which results in just getting the grey screen, with no prompt.

I opened excel in safe mode, and I still get the same warning resulting in the same grey screen.

Does any one know how to get into my file, so that I can use it? I understand that I may have to change how I link the database or not link it pullhair.gif . Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I am trying to train a new hire how to use the files, and a grey screen doesn't get me anywhere quickly.

Thank you again,
Mattie
Go to the top of the page

datAdrenaline
post May 3 2019, 03:41 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess Editor

Can you just want through the wizard of changing your Data Connection? ... Essentially create a new one just to establish the connection, then change all old references to the new one?

--------------------
Brent Spaulding | datAdrenaline | Access MVP
It's all very well to tell us to forgive our enemies; our enemies can never hurt us very much. But oh, what about forgiving our friends? - Willa Cather; As always - Pay it Forward!

datAdrenaline
post May 3 2019, 03:42 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess Editor

I am assuming you have the same userID and such? ...Also, all your drive mappings are the same?

--------------------
It's all very well to tell us to forgive our enemies; our enemies can never hurt us very much. But oh, what about forgiving our friends? - Willa Cather; As always - Pay it Forward!

msfarrar
post May 3 2019, 04:02 PM
Post#4

I am not sure how I would walk through the wizard of setting up the data connection again, when I cannot access my file. I have attached a print screen of how my file opens, and my trust center settings. I have also added a file of the security warning I get.

If you know a trick so that I can access my file with the data link broken, and then I reconnected, I think that would solve my problem.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Excel_Error.JPG ( 32.48K )Number of downloads: 6
Attached File  excel_issue_two.JPG ( 30.47K )Number of downloads: 3

datAdrenaline
post May 15 2019, 08:24 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess Editor

I am sorry, but I tried to duplicate your scenario by modifying my settings and permissions and such and I could not. I hate to leave this unsolved, but ... Im at that stage! As a hail mary sort of thing, have you considered uninstalling, then re-installing Office? Maybe something got corrupted in the upgrades?

--------------------

dflak
post May 15 2019, 11:19 AM
Post#6

Utter Access VIP

I have 2016 on my machine, and that's not the picture I get when I open the External Contents under the Trust Center.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Trust_Center.JPG ( 57.43K )Number of downloads: 1

--------------------
Dan

One spreadsheet to rule them all. One spreadsheet to find them. One spreadsheet to bring them all and at corporate, bind them.
Please zip and attach samples. It makes life easier for those who have to figure out what you are trying to do. Thanks

dflak
post May 15 2019, 11:26 AM
Post#7

Utter Access VIP

Grasping at some straws here, but if you go to the data ribbon and click on Queries and Connections, what do you see? Does it show your connection? If so what do you see when you select the connection and look at properties?

--------------------
Dan

One spreadsheet to rule them all. One spreadsheet to find them. One spreadsheet to bring them all and at corporate, bind them.
Please zip and attach samples. It makes life easier for those who have to figure out what you are trying to do. Thanks

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    22nd May 2019 - 02:21 PM