UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brave Browser, Any Versions    

jleach
post Feb 4 2020, 06:00 AM
Post#1

UtterAccess Administrator

Anyone tried using this Brave browser? A heard it mentioned from a few MVPs elsewhere and tried it... I just wrote back to them with a praising review, and thought I'd post it here also. I'm hoping it's the start of a revolution in the way that browser privacy is handled:

https://brave.com/

I’ve tried to switch browsers a few times to get away from Chrome, but the convenience of Chrome has always drawn me back. This Brave browser is pretty awesome though: I set it as my default and have been using it almost exclusively for about a week, having only cracked open Chrome for two or three specific tasks since then, which is far better than I’ve been able to adopt with any other browser.

I really like the way it handles “shields” – private browsers generally tend to block far too much and make it difficult (if impossible) to get the “real” view of the site should I happen to need it. With Brave, the initial restrictions are not terrible, and if I need to loosen up I can get there in two quick clicks to get the full boat. They struck an excellent balance there.

Also, I really like that it’s based on the Chromium engine and has the chrome devtools. That’s been another killer in trying to migrate previously as there’s so many times a day I’ll peek at whatever in the debugger to troubleshoot something or see a raw response, etc. Between the debugger, Chromium’s performance and the excellent balance in the Shields feature, this browser is amazing, and happily my new home.

One drawback/complaint: I’m using DuckDuckGo as a default search engine, and it’s a long step down from the relevance of Google’s search results. For non programming-specific queries, I’m getting used to how to deal with DDGs results, but for tech stuff (highly targeted programming questions that should lead me directly to an S/O answer), Google is simply far, far better, to the point where DDG’s poor results in this area are a significant slowdown. So, I have to figure out a way to shortcut myself a google search when needed, but I can probably work out something there (a google search to the right of the address bar would be ideal, but I didn’t see it in settings).

I’m not fully understanding their business model and proposed solution to publishers, creators and advertisers and such (I’ll try to pick it up more as I use it), but I really hope their business model works out in the long run because this browser is wonderful. (if their revenue model didn’t work out, I’d gladly pay a yearly subscription to use it)

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.
Business Software Solutions
Go to the top of the page

cheekybuddha
post Feb 4 2020, 06:17 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess Moderator

I use Brave on my phone, but on a proper computer my browser of choice is Vivaldi - awesome!

A browser for power users, set it up how you want it.

Started by the guy who started Opera before it was sold off.

Re. DDG, I have used it for some years, and always seem to find what I want, though I haven't compared with Google for a long time.

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

GroverParkGeorge
post Feb 4 2020, 07:58 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

I'm going to go look at Brave. I have been happy with FireFox for some time.

I use DDG and I know what you mean about SO results. Otherwise it's been adequate for my needs.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

GroverParkGeorge
post Feb 4 2020, 10:14 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

Brave definitely seems to be faster. I have run into one blocking issue, though, in a site that always gave Edge problems as well. Hence my switch to FF a while back. I suspect this site is doing some weird stuff that causes both Brave and FF to have problems.

Otherwise, so far so good.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
Beginning SQL Server

GroverParkGeorge
post Feb 4 2020, 11:38 AM
Post#5

UA Admin

I think I figured out the reason for the blocking issue, although I don't quite know how to address it. I'm looking at a page that links to other pages, some of which are being blocked. Most work. I suspect it might have something to do with the URLs in the links on that page but as long as I can get there for FF, it's not a big deal. Otherwise, Brave is seriously faster so far.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

jleach
post Feb 4 2020, 11:49 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess Administrator

George - at the right of the address bar there should be that ugly orange lion icon... if you click that you can "turn off shields" for the given site and it should let everything through as per normal?

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.
Business Software Solutions

GroverParkGeorge
post Feb 4 2020, 11:51 AM
Post#7

UA Admin

Thanks. I would have figured that out, eventually, sooner or later....

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

GroverParkGeorge
post Feb 4 2020, 11:56 AM
Post#8

UA Admin

like.png

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

FrankRuperto
post Feb 4 2020, 12:23 PM
Post#9

I have been using FF with DDG and happy with it. So far all sites except dropbox have not broken when I use private browsing window with the settings in the attached image. I am also getting good results when searching with DDG.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  FF72.0.2_x64_.PNG ( 90.66K )Number of downloads: 5

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix, Oracle & PostgreSQL db's.

DanielPineault
post Feb 4 2020, 12:35 PM
Post#10

UtterAccess VIP

If you get into privacy, thus browsers like Brave, then you also need to look into VPN to stop ISPs and the likes from prying into what you do online (accounts, passwords, ...). It all goes hand in hand.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    29th May 2020 - 03:28 AM