UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Copying Information From A Multivalue Field, Access 2010    

HughD
post Jun 25 2020, 08:23 AM
Post#1

Hello,

I am relatively new to access and very new to macro's.

I have a large database which has a number of multi-value fields. We are finding these to be problematic.

The data is currently in the table [Employee details] under field [Notified of Changes to] and has a selection of numeric numbers between 1-20 which refers to a separate [Discipline] table.

I am looking to paste this into a new table called [Employee Groups] with [Employee ID] in one column and [Discipline] in the other.

The applicable part of my code is as follows:

If [Tables]![Employee Details].[Notified of changes to] Like "1"
SetValue
Item = [Tables]![Employee Groups].[Employee ID]
Expression = [Tables]![Employee Details].[Employee ID]
SetValue
Item = [Tables]![Employee Groups].[Discipline]
Expression = 1
RunMenuCommand
Command SaveRecord

End If

I have repeated this command up to number "20", though I'm sure there is a better way of doing this the above expression fails as it doesn't recognise [Tables]! or any other permutation of options I've put in.

I have tried Dlookup but can't quite get that to work.

Regards

Hugh
Go to the top of the page

orange999
post Jun 25 2020, 08:57 AM
Post#2

Many/most would advise against the use of multi-valued fields and many of those do not use macros.
You might get more and focused responses if you gave a little more info about the application and your intent.
It would also help readers if you provided a graphic of your tables and relationships.

--------------------
Good luck with your project!

HughD
post Jun 25 2020, 09:05 AM
Post#3

Thanks Orange,

Yes this is a historic mistake we are trying to rectify by removing the multi-value field.

My intention is to take it from a multi-value field on the [Employee Details] table where there is one entry per [Employee ID] and move it so that you have many input's per [Employee ID] with the different [Disciplines] they are approved for. I will then make a new form for the front end and allow the user to add/remove [Disciplines] per [Employee ID]

Regards

Hugh

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    7th July 2020 - 10:53 AM