UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Unload The Firmware From The Device, Not applicable    

Ray
post Jul 11 2019, 08:44 AM
Post#1

iconfused.gif I would like to check if the firmware loaded into a hardware has been altered or not and would like to unload the firmware from the hardware. The hardware would be soundbar, TV, radio, DVD player, etc. I am aware of doing SHA–256 checksum of a file but no idea how to unload the firmware file in the device for checking. Can someone tell me how to accomplish this task. Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Jul 11 2019, 09:39 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

Can you be a bit more specific as to the device in question? Can you be a bit more specific about what it means to "unload the firmware from the hardware"? Are you talking about rolling back an upgraded version of firmware?

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

Ray
post Jul 11 2019, 11:14 AM
Post#3

Sorry for my unclear explanation of my question.

For example, I upgrade the current firmware with a new one for fixing bugs and/or introducing new features. Following the supplier's instructions, I have a file in a USB drive and follow a few steps to upgrade the current firmware. Thereafter, I check those bugs to see if they are fixed successfully and try the new features to see how are going. If everything is fine, I would like to do a checksum of the firmware file which will become a fingerprint of the digital file for production use. Probably you may ask why I did not do the checksum before upgrade the current firmware. I can do it if the sample is supplied with a new firmware. However most of time the sample comes with a new firmware. Thus I need to retrieve the loaded new firmware file from the hardware for doing checksum if the bugs are verified to be fixed successfully. Hope it is helpful to understand my question and looking forward to hearing your advice.

GroverParkGeorge
post Jul 11 2019, 02:56 PM
Post#4

UA Admin

So, "any" piece of hardware and "any" firmware.

The REAL goal, then is to do a checksum of a file on a USB device. It could, for all practical purposes be "any" file, could it not?

This Stack Overflow discussion appears to offer a number of potential options for you.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

Ray
post Jul 13 2019, 02:42 AM
Post#5

Thanks for your pointers that tell the way to do checksum! I am fine to know how to do the checksum on a file and that is not my question. I would like to know how to extract the firmware file in the device. Understand it may be difficult since the firmware in the device may be protected by an encryption after loaded into device or security measures to avoid alternation or hacking. I do not have other way to verify if the firmware of production units conforms to the approved one.

GroverParkGeorge
post Jul 13 2019, 07:13 AM
Post#6

UA Admin

I see. You want to "extract" the firmware from "any" device.

I'd be surprised if any vendor supported doing that.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    23rd August 2019 - 03:55 AM