UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access Book Recommendation, Office 2010    

ferreirah
post Dec 18 2011, 06:10 PM
Post#1

Hi
recently bought the book "Access 2010 Programmers Referance".
I hope I don't come accross as being forward.
It's probably one of the best Access books I have read in a long time and I haven't even finished the book.
It covers a lot of stuff in great detail.
I bought it from my local bookstore. I haven't quite caught onto the idea of ebooks yet.
It starts right at the beginning and goes into great detail on allmost any topic.
There are some downsides as well. It's got only one chapter about sharepoint development.
What I think is missing as well is a chapter about database normalization.
No I am not marketing this book but I do think that people looking for advaced Access info will like it a lot.
I found the book more by accident and I hope that other people will also post about interesting development books which they have read.
H.F.
Go to the top of the page

Doug Steele
post Dec 18 2011, 07:01 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

<picky>
Since book titles often get reused, it's generally a good idea to provide details such as the name of the author(s), the publisher, and the ISBN when recommending a specific book.
I'm assuming you're talking about Access 2010 Programmer's Reference, by Teresa Hennig, Rob Cooper, Geoffrey L. Griffith and Jerry Dennison, published by Wiley, ISBN: 978-0-470-59166-6
</picky>

BananaRepublic
post Dec 18 2011, 07:10 PM
Post#3

Dungeon Cleaner

<disclaimer>
I was a technical editor for this book OP recommended.
</disclaimer>
o glad you found the book useful. Regarding the normalization, I would venture to suggest that this may be because it's meant primarily as reference on programming rather than designing a database solution (which I won't deny is a necessary and vital part of overall project, of course). I want to point out that there are other good books that devotes itself to database design. Two examples:
Microsoft Access Small Business Solutions: State-of-the-Art Database Models for Sales, Marketing, Customer Management, and More Key Business Activities
Database Design for Mere Mortals
I guess I tend to think that each book has its own niche. I don't think I ever had a single book that did everything and had to have multiple books on same subject to get a good coverage of different aspects.

datAdrenaline
post Dec 18 2011, 10:58 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess Editor

I personally think the chapter on the Relational Data Model and Normalization is top notch in the book mentioned by BR .... not that I am partial -- like the author of that chapter would be or anything like that ... ...
--
If you SharePoint is you desire, then Microsoft Access in a SharePoint World would be the place to go! The three authors of that book have likely made what I would consider "the authority" on the subject -- I have not read it, but the knowledge bank of the 3 authors is not likely to be beaten by any other book on the topic of Access with SharePoint.

Matt J
post Dec 19 2011, 10:21 AM
Post#5

This thread is right on time. I have been looking for a book to help me with VBA.
hx.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    12th July 2020 - 08:01 PM