UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Retire    

River59
post Dec 18 2018, 04:32 PM
Post#1

Has anyone tried to retire but find you miss this work too much to stay away? I only do contract work so my resume stays active on job sites. Whenever there is a need for an Access Developer, I get the call.

I have tried to 'retire' a couple times and love not having to deal with the baloney. But, after a few months, I miss the challenge, I get bored, I answer the phone, and I accept the job.

When I start back to work, I actually get excited getting back into it! Something must be wrong here, I am getting too old for this ... shrug.gif

--------------------
Remember ... Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins flew to the moon and back with a computer system less complex than a modern, programmable toaster ...
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 18 2018, 04:51 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

Ah, yes. The siren song of nothing to do, no one to answer to, no desperate phone calls, long walks.

I'm almost there, as well. I'm currently winding up to do YouTube videos for a while. I strongly suspect that I'll miss the work sometime down the road, but for now, it's feeling pretty good.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

isladogs
post Dec 18 2018, 06:51 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

I officially 'retired' 7 years ago only to then build up my own business.
Now busier than ever ..... thumbup.gif

--------------------

LeeAnn
post Dec 19 2018, 09:42 AM
Post#4

My dad had that issue. He retired from the company I now work for. He loved his job and actually cried during his retirement lunch (the only time I ever saw him cry). He stayed retired for about 6 months then went to work as a contractor that did business with the company he retired from. He really enjoyed that job.

I am in my 50's and I believe I will work until I die lol. Retirement is actually something I am not looking forward to. I love the work and I love the people I work with. When and if I do retire I plan on looking for some part time work so I can keep a little busy. I also enjoy raking in money so I can enjoy going on cruises (something I just love doing the past few years). I don't see me affording that if I retire.

There is a person here that retired about 6 months ago. I was walking in the halls a few days ago and I run into him. I had to do a double take as I was very surprised to see him. He is now back here working part time. Some people cannot be happy being retired I suppose.

--------------------
Lee Ann Davidson

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 19 2018, 09:44 AM
Post#5

UA Admin

"Some people cannot be happy being retired I suppose."

I'm willing to take the risk. HeHeHe.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

JonSmith
post Dec 19 2018, 09:49 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

I am only 30 and I'm planning my retirement which I hope to do within the next decade.

I love not working, I have already spent some large chunks of time not working and don't get so bored I want to work. tongue.gif

I think you guys are abit crazy.

River59
post Dec 19 2018, 10:33 AM
Post#7

Ahhhh, JonSmith ... to be 30 again. dance.gif

--------------------
Remember ... Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins flew to the moon and back with a computer system less complex than a modern, programmable toaster ...

isladogs
post Dec 19 2018, 10:51 AM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

I vaguely remember being 30 once.... and at that time I would have been very happy to have been able to retire

When I officially retired 7 years ago, whilst I stopped doing paid employment it gave me the freedom to do what I wanted & when I wanted ... or do nothing at all.
The difference is I'm both self employed and in the lucky position of not needing to work.
So I only do contracted work that interests me and my own choice of projects.

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 19 2018, 10:57 AM
Post#9

UA Admin

That's my style for the time being. I only kept three clients that I really liked about 4 years ago and let the rest move on to younger, "more flexible" talent.

I'm in the process of handing off the remaining three because, quite frankly, I need a break.

The analogy I use for those whom I'm letting go is that I do not want to be the former All Star who comes back for one more season and ends up batting under .100. (Baseball reference, for those who aren't familiar. And that's not a good average.)

Maybe after a recharging period, it'll be different. We'll see.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

isladogs
post Dec 19 2018, 11:12 AM
Post#10

UtterAccess VIP

Maybe after a recharging period, it'll be different. We'll see.

Very good point. I took a year's break.
I do have a good pension from my previous employment which allows me the luxury of working part time on my own terms.
But the other point is that it definitely helps to keep my brain active.

Perhaps I'm wrong but somehow I can't see you giving up on the forum when you do officially retire George
This post has been edited by isladogs: Dec 19 2018, 11:13 AM

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 19 2018, 11:16 AM
Post#11

UA Admin

I'll just become more ubiquitous and pushy.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

River59
post Dec 19 2018, 12:07 PM
Post#12

We all get that way, GroverParkGeorge. I run into those people who know little but think they know it all and try to micro-manage and control what I'm doing. Sometimes I find 'pushy' doesn't seem to work.
The advantage is I don't need to work so I'm willing to 'push' my way right out the door if they insist on forcing me to do 'stupid' ... sarcasm.gif

--------------------

DanielPineault
post Dec 19 2018, 12:32 PM
Post#13

UtterAccess VIP

That why my father-in-law got involved several groups, to keep busy and enjoy life (rather than work) and not be bored at home. He's always out and about, group, community, ... when we visit we have to chase him down! :-)

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

LeeAnn
post Dec 20 2018, 03:45 PM
Post#14

It would be nice to retire and feel that I can afford to retire. One thing I am kicking myself in the rear about that would probably would make me feel I could retire comfortably if I had not done. I worked for a company in Washington DC many years back (1985-1987), Really good company that knew how to treat its employees. They once held a party and gave every employee a nice TV set. Right before I left to return home they were doing profit sharing and for the techs they were paying a certain percentage of the money charged for labor (which I was a tech at the time), Really interesting work and I would have stayed if home life there had not been unbearable.

Well about 6 months before I left everyone received some stock from a company (I think it was about 17 shares or something like that). I owed some money so shortly there after I sold the stock and paid a debt off (I ended up getting a nice fat profit sharing shortly after I sold the stock that would have taken care of that debt). Most of the tech people I think sold the stock. What irked me even more was that the stock split 2 for 1 a few days after I sold it. There was a guy that was pretty much of a pain that I worked with and he had kept the stock.

So what stock was it you might ask?????? None other than Apple stock. I wonder now how much I would have today if I would have kept the stock. I am sure it would be a nice little nest egg....

--------------------
Lee Ann Davidson

WayneRyan
post Dec 20 2018, 08:54 PM
Post#15

LeeAnn,

10 shares from day 1 would be worth $125,000 ... not bad.

I have no shares so i’ll Keep working and working and working.

Wayne

JonSmith
post Dec 21 2018, 03:49 AM
Post#16

UtterAccess VIP

Something that also helps. Random luck.

I got £100,000 from a lottery win last year. I didn't even play, it came as a share from a family member who won £1 million.

Suffice to say I now buy the odd scratchcard to see if lightning will strike twice.
I'm trying to be smart with the money and make it work for me so I can retire early.

nuclear_nick
post Dec 25 2018, 06:23 AM
Post#17

I don't plan on retiring, especially if I can still type and use a mouse... oh, and my brain.

I see a lot of people 'lose it' when they stop 'doing'. Here's my favorite illustration.

In an interview a while back Jay Leno, host of the 'Tonight Show', talked about the man he inherited it from, Johnny Carson. In the interview he said that even though he wasn't doing the show anymore, Johnny would email him a few jokes every day, still funny, still active. Johnny still had it, and was keeping his mind sharp.

He knew something was wrong when Johnny stopped. Sure enough, a short time later, Johnny passed away.

So I'm intending to keep on doing, and learning, as long as I can. Some of ya'll talk of leavin'... I'm in it for the long haul. In fact, I'm looking into doing stuff for extra money on the side, to keep learning, doing... I don't ever want to get bored.

So ya'll have fun... I hope to have fun in my own way...

smile.gif

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick
The top three reasons to hide code; 1) It's not your own. 2) It's your own, but it's so crappy you don't want anyone to see it. 3) The comments in your code would get you in a lot of trouble if ever made public.

Jeff B.
post Dec 25 2018, 08:34 AM
Post#18

UtterAccess VIP

Hah!! Retired!!!

The "copious free-time list" I started building before official 'retirement' is now, a half-decade later, considerably longer. I don't think I have the temperment to 'do nothing' ...

--------------------
Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP (2002-2015)

Mention of hardware or software is, in no way, an endorsement thereof. The FTC of the USA made this disclaimer necessary/possible.

tina t
post Dec 25 2018, 12:18 PM
Post#19

i can never understand people who say they are bored, especially after retirement! even if you haven't the money for those trips and cruises you always dreamed of taking, just get out of the house! join a club that does something that interests you, so you immediately have something you like in common with a group of others. volunteer your time and accumulated knowledge and skills; there's no shortage of need anywhere in this world. take a cheap or free class to learn something new, or expand on what you already know.

even for those of us who have poor health and can't get around too well, there are opportunities our parents and grandparents never had. if you can afford a cheap refurbished PC, and internet connection - check into govt/provider subsidies (sp?) for low income households - you have a whole world at your fingertips. i'm currently working on a Library of Congress certificate in literary braille transcribing; learning braille is something i've wanted to do for more than forty years. the National Federation of the Blind offers a free course under contract with the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped.

there are more opportunities today than ever before to see and do and participate, in so many things. bored? ha! the day isn't long enough! :) tina

--------------------
"the wheel never stops turning"

nuclear_nick
post Dec 26 2018, 04:15 PM
Post#20

I'm aways away from retirement age... I'm not bored now, just keeping it at bay for later. smile.gif

I'm lucky in that I got a job where my old hobby (learning programming) is now my job. Even after I'm able to retire, it'll still be my hobby. With that being the case... I want to continue to get paid for it, as long as someone is willing to do so. I still have lots to learn, lots I want to learn.

Speaking of... I'm on vacation. so it's time to learn something new... I'll be back more regular when the vacation is over.

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick
The top three reasons to hide code; 1) It's not your own. 2) It's your own, but it's so crappy you don't want anyone to see it. 3) The comments in your code would get you in a lot of trouble if ever made public.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    24th August 2019 - 08:36 AM