UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vba File Not Found Error 53, Access 2016    

LagoDavid
post Mar 8 2019, 10:05 AM
Post#1

Please help!

All of a sudden I cannot even open my Access database. When I try to open it I get a message that says MS VBA cannot find file. That message pops up about four times and then Windows brings up a file dialog asking me to save a backup file. I have done that three times and keep going in this circle.

I read on line referencing error 53 some info about dll's but I don't have a clue what they are talking about.

When the error first started, I was actually able to get the file to open and open the VBA editor. What I could not do at that time was to open and edit the first form that opens in the application. I could edit other forms but not the initial form (frmLogin). Perhaps that is where the error is?
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Mar 8 2019, 11:02 AM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi. When Access asks you to create a backup, something has gone wrong. Sometimes, Access is able to recover from the problem, but sometimes not. When it happens, it's a good idea to continually have a backup as you work on your database. If all else fails, you can have something to go back to. Hope it's not too late for you.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

tina t
post Mar 8 2019, 01:14 PM
Post#3

What I could not do at that time was to open and edit the first form that opens in the application. I could edit other forms but not the initial form (frmLogin). Perhaps that is where the error is?

have you tried opening the db with the Shift held down, to bypass the startup options settings?

hth
tina

--------------------
"the wheel never stops turning"

LagoDavid
post Mar 9 2019, 08:28 AM
Post#4

I needed a little time to recover (emotionally and database) before responding.

A lesson learned. Due to a combination of stupidity and naivity, it turns out I was not backed up. I thought I was using OneDrive as my backup. Turns out that OneDrive just replaced the good file with a corrupted file and what I had was a backup of a corrupted file. I also had a WD SmartDrive, and it did the same thing. New plan in place - I manually copy to a backup folder each time I make changes. I need to study my SmartDrive options because I think I should be able to use it for this.

I started a new application and was able to copy all my forms, queries and modules from the corrupted file. Access gave me the same file not found error but still opened the transfer window. So I lost a few hours but not catastrophic.

Thank you.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th August 2019 - 10:17 PM