UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Schema Design For Action Item Tracker Database, Access 2016    

justair07
post May 30 2019, 11:57 AM
Post#1

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping to get some eyes on my first attempt at my latrst project I want to start working on. The intent of the database is to log action items for issues related to our buisness.

Ideally, for the most part, the form for the user will look like a flat spreadsheet. A user will enter the Action Item Information: Intiated Date, ActionItem (combobox) 1 to 1, Intiator (combobox) 1 to 1, Owner (combobox) 1 to 1.

Then is where I question my schema. The user will also enter a HighBar that relates to the action item but there can be multiple highbars that relate to one action item. They will also enter a Due Date, but the due date can change and I need to be able to keep track of the previous due dates. For this I used junction tables (ActionItemHighbars and ActionItemDueDate). Does this make sense? Am I doing this correct? Here is a screenshot and attachment of my schema if anyone has suggestions or can tell me what I might be doing wrong I would greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

- Justin
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Kaizen_Newspaper_Schema_Rev_0.zip ( 78.96K )Number of downloads: 6
Attached File  Capture.JPG ( 50.96K )Number of downloads: 9

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Justin

“If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a d*** fool about it.” - W.C. Fields
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post May 30 2019, 12:02 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Justin. Can an action item have more than one due dates? Do you really need to have two more tables just for due dates?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

justair07
post May 30 2019, 12:51 PM
Post#3

Hi DbGuy,

An action item will only have one due date in a sense. The user can change the due date but I need to be able to keep a history of the original due date.

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Justin

“If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a d*** fool about it.” - W.C. Fields

theDBguy
post May 30 2019, 12:55 PM
Post#4

Oh okay; but still, do you really need two tables for a due date?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas

justair07
post May 30 2019, 12:58 PM
Post#5

I guess not. Do you suggest a better way to track the date changes?

--------------------
Justin

theDBguy
post May 30 2019, 01:03 PM
Post#6

I was thinking something more straightforward like:

ActionItem => DueDates

So...

tblActionItems
ActionItemID, PK

tblDueDates
DueDateID, PK
ActionItemID, FK
DueDate

--------------------

justair07
post May 30 2019, 01:15 PM
Post#7

Ahhh of course... That makes sense. Thank you.

Everything else looks ok? I wasn't sure about using the Personel table for two fields in the same table (Initator and Owner). Is that ok?
This post has been edited by justair07: May 30 2019, 01:17 PM

--------------------
Justin

theDBguy
post May 30 2019, 01:19 PM
Post#8

Actually, I thought you would have a third one: Initiator, Owner, and AssignedTo.

--------------------

justair07
post May 30 2019, 02:11 PM
Post#9

Owner would be AssignTo. We phrase things weird lol.

--------------------
Justin

theDBguy
post May 30 2019, 02:15 PM
Post#10

So, I guess there's no "delegation" of tasks then? Cheers!

--------------------

justair07
post May 30 2019, 04:14 PM
Post#11

The Initiator deligates and that person is the Owner of accomplishing the task

--------------------
Justin

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    19th August 2019 - 01:48 PM