UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access 2010 And 2016 On Same Pc, Access 2010    

Adecypher
post Nov 18 2019, 05:11 PM
Post#1

Hi Folks,

Does anyone have any experience running Access 2010 (32 bit) and Access 2016 (32 bit) applications on same PC running Windows 10 Prof OS?

I need to upgrade my existing Access 2010 (32 bit) application to Access 2016 (32 bit) which I want to do by:

Installing MS Access Professional (32 bit) version on a PC running Windows 10 Professional as an OS and already have Office 2010 Professional (32 bit) installed on it.

My goal is to upgrade and then test the upgrade from 2010 to 2016 access (32 bit) on the same PC....is it too far fetched? Should I get a new PC.

Note: I donot want to uninstall Office 2010 (i.e. Access 2010) since there are number of users still using the Access 2010 (32 bit) application and I use this PC to troubleshoot, fix, recompile and decompile my access .accdb files.

Thanks for guidance.

Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Nov 18 2019, 05:18 PM
Post#2

UA Moderator

Hi. I think that's possible since you're installing newer versions after an older one. However, I don't have personal experience with that because the recommended approach, which I follow, is to use a Virtual Machine. In other words, you don't have to buy a new PC, you would just create (a virtual) one.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

Adecypher
post Nov 18 2019, 06:10 PM
Post#3

Thanks TheDBGuy,

I will keep VM option handy but would still prefer to have both 2010 and 2016 Access DB run on same PC with no issue.

PhilS
post Nov 19 2019, 02:17 AM
Post#4

I will keep VM option handy but would still prefer to have both 2010 and 2016 Access DB run on same PC with no issue.

It's not a big deal to install both on the same PC. Just make sure to disable the "uninstall previous versions"-option during setup and install into a different directory.

--------------------

isladogs
post Nov 19 2019, 03:00 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

I have both versions on one of my PCs though normally I use virtual machines.

Although both will work perfectly well, you may find issues with registry entries being changed when you run 2010 followed by 2016.
When you next run 2010, this may cause Office to reconfigure those entries and you will see several screens about 'installing/configuring Office'
That process will take a minute or so.

If you can put up with that, fine. Otherwise create a VM.

--------------------
Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
Website, email

PhilS
post Nov 19 2019, 04:36 AM
Post#6

... you will see several screens about 'installing/configuring Office'

I got so used to those, I completely forgot to mention them.

I feel, if you explicitly start Microsoft Access first, and then open your database from Access instead of opening a database right away, it will drastically reduce the frequency of those messages.

--------------------

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    7th December 2019 - 04:37 PM