UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Change Relationships In Linked Sharepoint Lists, SharePoint 2013    

blueman2
post Dec 28 2018, 03:13 PM
Post#1

Attached File  Image_1.jpg ( 143.65K )Number of downloads: 4

I have a table that has a 1 to many relationship with another table. At one point we had one supplier making many different components. Now we're finding we need a component to be made by multiple suppliers so I believe I have to reverse this relationship. The tables are lists in sharepoint, so what is the best way to go about doing this?

Do I change the relationship in sharepoint first and then delete and re-link the table?
If so, which settings do I change in each of the tables involved to achieve what I'm looking for? Here is the settings for the SupplierID in the Component table.

Or is it just as easy to somehow change the relationship in the relationship window in access and then somehow re-link or re-upload the table or just the table relationships somehow?

Attached File  Image_2.jpg ( 116.84K )Number of downloads: 5

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Dec 28 2018, 03:18 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,

Are you saying the data are in SharePoint Lists? If so, there isn't really any relationship, per se, between them.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

RobKoelmans
post Dec 29 2018, 04:59 AM
Post#3

If multiple suppliers are going to deliver same components, you're gonna need a key-pair table to provide many-to-many relationships. You can only do that in SharePoint first, I suppose.
Rob

blueman2
post Dec 29 2018, 09:10 AM
Post#4

Thanks

I'm guessing that's the same as a junction table? If that's the case:

1) couldn't I simply create that new junction table within access and then upload the table to Sharepoint where it will become a list. Then delete the new junction table in the access front end and link to the new junction table list on sharepoint?

2) Then the question is: how do I deal with the existing relationship (lookup setting)as it is setup within Sharepoint in terms of the settings shown above in the image for the ComponentTable? Do I simply uncheck "Enforce relationship behavior" and then proceed with building a new junction table as described above?

Thanks again

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 29 2018, 09:54 AM
Post#5

UA Admin

PMFJI:

question 1: I don't see why you can't create the new list (i.e. a list that functions as a junction table) in SharePoint, where you use the Lookup Field mechanism to identify relationships. Then you could link to it in Access.

question 2: As is usually the case, one excellent way to determine whether you can do something is to go ahead and try to do it. I suspect it will work here, but you can verify by doing it yourself.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

blueman2
post Dec 29 2018, 10:11 AM
Post#6

Thanks

1)Yes I'm sure that's possible but the biggest issue I have is that I'm more adept (and comfortable) at using Access than Sharepoint. All the tables and relationships were initially created in Access and then just uploaded to sharepoint where they are working well. So if it's just the same to do as I had suggested, for me, that seems like an easier approach without having to take the time to study the mechanisms in sharepoint (which i seem to find fairly cumbersome).

2) Yes I could simply try unchecking the "Enforce relationship behavior" but I'm trying to be extra cautious about what I do in an environment I'm not that familiar with as I have a working business database that I need to keep functional. So I'm trying to ask people who have expertise before I do something on my own that could possibly cause problems.

theDBguy
post Dec 29 2018, 10:27 AM
Post#7

Hi,

If you need help with SharePoint, I could try to help you, but I'll need access to your SharePoint site, if it's possible. The table relationship diagram you posted earlier, was it the original diagram before you uploaded the tables in SharePoint? I believe the migration assistant will try to retain any table relationship when you first upload a database to SharePoint, but I am not sure it will update any existing Lists it does not create during any subsequent migrations. In other words, if you create two new tables in Access and set up their relationship before using the migration assistant, then the relationship between those two tables will be reflected in SharePoint. However, if you only create one new table in Access and link it with an existing table (I am not even sure this is possible if you only have Lists at this point), then I think SharePoint might not inherit the new relationship when the migration assistant converts the one new table into a List. If you're only creating one new table, it's better to just create a List for it in SharePoint and just make sure to use a Lookup Column to establish the relationship. But, I will repeat what I said earlier, there really is no "relationship" concept in SharePoint Lists. It only provides a mechanism to make it appear so by the use of Lookup Columns.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas

blueman2
post Dec 29 2018, 11:24 AM
Post#8

DB, as always, thank you.

Yes the relationships showing now in the window are the same ones created prior to uploading initially. However, I do think I may have created a new table since then and uploaded them to sharepoint, possibly establishing relationships. I'm going to take a look and see if I can trace back what I was able to do and report back in this thread what I find. I'll also PM you shortly.

theDBguy
post Dec 29 2018, 11:38 AM
Post#9

Hi,

Just to be clear and to make sure we get on the same page, could you please try the following steps - just as a test?

1. Create a new blank Access database file
2. Link to all the SharePoint Lists you have in the original database
3. View the relationship window
4. If you don't see any relationship, try clicking on the Show All Relationships button

What do you see? Can you post it here? Does it look the same as the one from the original database?

Thank you!

--------------------

blueman2
post Dec 29 2018, 11:43 AM
Post#10

I'll give that a try. Thanks and report back

blueman2
post Dec 29 2018, 11:54 AM
Post#11

All seem to be there and the relationships appear to be the same. These are from the new test Database

Attached File  Image_3.jpg ( 549.91K )Number of downloads: 2

Attached File  Image_4.jpg ( 140.83K )Number of downloads: 2

theDBguy
post Dec 29 2018, 12:14 PM
Post#12

Interesting. Okay, thanks. Just waiting on your PM. If you want to talk, you can give me a number to call.

--------------------

blueman2
post Dec 29 2018, 12:24 PM
Post#13

Had to step out briefly. Will contact shortly.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th January 2019 - 03:22 PM