UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
> Storing Pictures In Access - How Big Can They Be?, Access 2016    

dflak
post Aug 31 2019, 08:36 AM
Post#1

Utter Access VIP

I have a potential client who is an art dealer. He has several hundred JPEGs of pictures in his collection and has them organized in a "flat file" in Access 2000. I've convinced him to upgrade to an Office 365 subscription which will at least give him 2016 or 2019 or whatever.

He wants to know: what is the maximum size picture he can store? How big can the database grow? I know in the past that there was a 1 GB limitation.

I want to know, do you have an option to import the pictures or "link" them?

I'm hoping to hear that it is limited only by disk size.

--------------------
Dan

One spreadsheet to rule them all. One spreadsheet to find them. One spreadsheet to bring them all and at corporate, bind them.
Please zip and attach samples. It makes life easier for those who have to figure out what you are trying to do. Thanks
Go to the top of the page

Start new topic
Replies
isladogs
post Aug 31 2019, 08:53 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

The maximum size is 2GB but adding lots of images to Access will rapidly bloat the file size.
Strongly recommend your client does not attach the files.
Instead store the file path for each in Access and use an image control to view them.

Also JPEG files do not always display well in Access due to their lossy nature. PNG files work better.

Another reason to avoid attachment fields - it will be impossible to upsize to SQL Server or similar in the future

--------------------
Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
Website, email

dflak
post Aug 31 2019, 07:21 PM
Post#3

Utter Access VIP

I was afraid that would be the answer. Now what do you mean by "use an image control?"

Do you mean that I should write some VB code to launch a command line for irfanview?

--------------------
Dan

One spreadsheet to rule them all. One spreadsheet to find them. One spreadsheet to bring them all and at corporate, bind them.
Please zip and attach samples. It makes life easier for those who have to figure out what you are trying to do. Thanks

June7
post Aug 31 2019, 08:07 PM
Post#4

Access has an Image control that can be bound to Attachment field or reference external file location to display images in form or report. Review https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=73766

This post has been edited by June7: Aug 31 2019, 08:08 PM

--------------------
Attachments Manager is below the edit post window. To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

JohnvanSomeren
post Sep 5 2019, 09:54 AM
Post#5

Hi,
I have been using DBPix from http://www.ammara.com/ in a big Access 2010 program for several years. It is designed to store huge numbers of pictures in OLE fields of an Access database without bloating. Our ID photos are usually around 70k to 80k jpegs and we have around 5,000 of them. It is a no-brainer to implement and their support team is really reactive. Plus they have lots of Access VBA example code.

I have no commercial interest in the company except that any company which provides software that does what I want, without advertisements and at a good price deserves to be better known.

John van Someren

ADezii
post Sep 5 2019, 10:14 AM
Post#6

Have you considered storing the Images as BLOBs (Binary Large Objects)? In this manner the Picture Data is stored Byte for Byte, exact size, with the Images reflecting their true sizes. When BLOBs are stored in the Database with other data, BLOB and tabular data are backed up and recovered together and are synchronized, there are no File Paths to contend with, and no resultant Database bloating. Data consistency is ensured because INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE operations occur in the same transaction. Separate security measures need not be created since BLOB and regular data coexist.

ordnance1
post Sep 12 2019, 08:46 AM
Post#7

Sorry for jumping in on this thread but I am in a similar position where I would like to store short PDF,s and JPEG in my database. I use SQL Server as a back end to Access, and an interested in using BLOB. What I am wondering what the process would be to convert files in a a temp folder, convert them to BLOG and drop the data into an SQL server.

ADezii
post Sep 12 2019, 11:55 AM
Post#8

what the process would be to convert files in a a temp folder, convert them to BLOG and drop the data into an SQL server.

1. You should be able to:
    1. Perform a Bulk Import of Graphic Files into an Access OLE Object Field as BLOB Data.
    2. Use DTS (Data Transformation Services) in SQL Server to Copy the Data into a New Database. The BLOB Data will go into an Image Field.
  2. I can easily create a Demo that will pro-grammatically Import the Graphics into an OLE Object Field as BLOBs.
  3. The second part I'll leave to you.
  4. Just let me know if you are interested.

ordnance1
post Sep 15 2019, 09:53 PM
Post#9

That would be greatly appreciated.

ADezii
post Sep 16 2019, 07:40 AM
Post#10

1. The one, and only purpose of the attached Demo, is to perform a Bulk Import on a large number of Graphic Files into an OLE Object Field as a Stream of Binary Data (BLOB).
  2. Simply click on the only Command Button then select a Folder to Import From. For now, it will only Import .jpgs, .bmps, and .icos but this can be modified by changing the acceptable Formats in the Form's Private Function named fIsGraphicFile().
  3. The Base Code comes from Alan Warren but I made some modifications to it.
  4. As a test, I Imported 1,018 Graphic Files consisting of .jpgs, .bmps, and .icos.
  5. The size of the Empty DB prior to Import was 464Kb.
  6. The Total Size of the Graphic Files prior to Import was 184Mb.
  7. The size of the DB after the Import process was still 184Mb with very little variation (bloat).
  8. This actually makes me wonder if you need SQL Server as a Back End strictly for the storage of these Images?
  9. In any event, I'll stop rambling on, simply look at the Attachment and see if it suits your needs.
  10. Should you wish to keep the Graphics in Access, this is an entirely different animal since you will need algorithms to retrieve, store, and even modify these Images. Should you decide to take this approach, I can provide another Demo that will show you how to do this.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Import_Graphics_For_BLOB_Storage.zip ( 38.85K )Number of downloads: 6

ordnance1
post Sep 16 2019, 10:06 AM
Post#11

Thanks for the demo file. I will spend some time testing if out.

ordnance1
post Sep 16 2019, 10:11 AM
Post#12

Ran into a compile error that the code needs to be updated for 64-bit.

I will do some investigation into how to update the code.

Solved: Added PtrSafe after declare
This post has been edited by ordnance1: Sep 16 2019, 10:15 AM

ordnance1
post Sep 16 2019, 10:57 AM
Post#13

Cannot get it to work.

When I click on the button I get the hour glass then the db closes and prompts me to save a backup copy of the db.

ADezii
post Sep 16 2019, 05:37 PM
Post#14

Note sure exactly what is going since I tried it on different Windows Versions as well as Access Versions 2007, 2010, and 2016. All worked fine. Did you change anything in the Code?

ADezii
post Sep 17 2019, 10:44 AM
Post#15

1. I am willing to guess that the problems that you are having are related to your 64-bit environment and the API Calls. I have completely eliminated any API reference and substituted it with a simple InputBox for the Folder Input. This is not the ideal solution, but it is only a Demo, and it should correct the problem. When prompted for a Folder simply enter a valid Folder location with/without a Trailing Backslash ('\'). The Code will compensate either way. There is minimal validation, basically to insure that a Folder location is valid. You will still need the DAO, ADO, and Scripting Runtime References.
  2. I do have a work-in-progress that touches upon all aspects of the BLOB approach, namely: Bulk Loading of Graphics, single Graphic File Loading, retrieving, saving, and editing of BLOB Images, displaying BLOBs in Image Controls, displaying Graphic File information in a Text Box Control, etc. It consists of a single Form (displayed below), a Parent & related Child Form, and a Standard Code Module. All functionality is contained within the Access DB. I'll only Upload the DB if you, or someone else, is actually interested.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  BLOB_Demo.JPG ( 69.09K )Number of downloads: 8

ordnance1
post Sep 18 2019, 03:38 AM
Post#16

Only change to the code I made was adding PtrSafe in the declare statements so it will run (at least it does not error) on 64 bit Access, but no luck. So if you are willing to attach the newer version it would be appreciated.

ADezii
post Sep 18 2019, 09:48 AM
Post#17

I have attached the Demo for you for your review. Please keep in mind that it is a work-in-progress and it does rely on the API for some of it's functionality. If you wish, you can remove all of the API related Code and replace it with a Office File Dialog for the File Browse, an Office Folder Dialog for the Find Folder, hard coded Path for the create Temporary Folder to work in, etc. I honestly do not have the time right now for the conversion but I'm sure you will be able to accomplish it yourself. Good Luck with your Project.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  BLOB_Demo_3.zip ( 639.26K )Number of downloads: 3

ordnance1
post Sep 19 2019, 11:40 AM
Post#18

I should note that all other buttons function properly.

ADezii
post Sep 19 2019, 11:51 AM
Post#19

It must have to do with the API References, as soon as I get a change I'll remove all of the API references from this File Dialog and replace it with something simpler, probably the Office File Dialog.

ordnance1
post Sep 19 2019, 12:21 PM
Post#20

A t your convenience, you have invested a lot of time in this.

ADezii
post Sep 19 2019, 01:37 PM
Post#21

1. I have completely eliminated the overwhelming majority of API Code except for the ShellExecute() API Function. The reason for this is that the DB can Edit any Graphic Image without knowing what Application Opens that File. This Function will Open any File based solely on its Extension, associating the Extension with the Server Application that will Open it. This information is stored in the System Registry.
  2. You will now need a Reference to the Microsoft Office XX.X Object Library since the Office File and Folder Dialogs now replace a large amount of API Code.
  3. Give it a try and let me know how you make out.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  BLOB_Demo_4_No_API.zip ( 638.66K )Number of downloads: 4

ordnance1
post Sep 19 2019, 05:40 PM
Post#22

Just wondering if the temp folder can be c:\TempImage

ADezii
post Sep 19 2019, 06:23 PM
Post#23

CODE
msTemporaryFolder = getTempFolder & "\"

with
CODE
msTemporaryFolder = "C:\TempImage\"

ADezii
post Sep 19 2019, 07:46 PM
Post#24

1. Before you do anything, just a quick question. By 'Temp Folder' I assume that you are you referring to the Working Folder which is a Temporary Folder created by the File Scripting Runtime Library?
  2. As a Reply to your previous question
    Blobs are typically used to store Images, Audio or other Multimedia Objects, not Word Files.

This post has been edited by ADezii: Sep 19 2019, 07:53 PM

ordnance1
post Sep 20 2019, 08:58 AM
Post#25

Having spent a considerable number of hours in Google I am now able to save both docx and pdf formatted documents. What my issue was. was that they do not display in thew image box, but I can work with that.
This post has been edited by ordnance1: Sep 20 2019, 09:00 AM

ADezii
post Sep 20 2019, 05:06 PM
Post#26

You can Save Objects, in this case *.doc, *.docx, and *.pdf by by Inserting them with Code into a Bound Object Frame (not Image Control) which is Bound to an underlying OLE Object Field. The Embed Demo will allow you to select either Word Documents or PDF Files which will then be Embedded into the Bound Object Frame and saved to the underlying Table. These Objects are Embedded and not Linked, the fact that you can view them at all is proof that they are not Linked. Click the Command Button, select a File and see what happens either a New Record will be created or an existing Record edited. Integrating this approach into the existing Framework of Storing BLOBs into the same OLE Object Field will be difficult to say the least. Also keep in mind that you currently have a 1 to 1 Relationship, for each Record in the Main Table there is a single BLOB in the Child Table. You would then have to allow for multiple BLOBs as well as Multiple Documents to be stored in the Child Table creating a 1 to MANY Relationship. Dbl-Click the Document in the Bound Object Frame to auto-activate it. This is getting more complicated by the minute. iconfused.gif
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Embed.zip ( 1.31MB )Number of downloads: 3

ADezii
post Sep 20 2019, 07:09 PM
Post#27

NOTE: Set the Verb Property of the Bound Object Frame = -2 to 'Open' the Server App associated with the File's Extension.
This post has been edited by ADezii: Sep 20 2019, 07:09 PM

ordnance1
post Sep 22 2019, 12:14 PM
Post#28

Sorry to keep bothering you, but, I have been spending time modifying the code to work for my situation and for the most part have been successful. I have hit 1 stumbling block.

I will be using SQL Server as the back end, and the process of importing individual image files works fine. When I attempt yo use the Bulk Import I get the following error:

Attached File  Untitled_picture.png ( 68.61K )Number of downloads: 1

I have attempted to add dbSeeChanges to line
CODE
Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("dbo_BlobInventory", dbOpenDynaset, dbAppendOnly)

This required me to remove dbAppendOnly

But then I get an error "item not found in collection" and rs![Item Name] = strFile is highlighted

CODE
Private Sub Command53_Click()
'''On Error GoTo Err_Command53_Click
Dim strFile As String
Dim intCtr As Integer
Dim rstBLOB As ADODB.Recordset
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
Dim mstream As ADODB.Stream
Dim strFolder As String
Dim dlgOpen As Office.FileDialog
Dim intResponse As Integer
Dim intCtr2 As Integer

Set dlgOpen = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFolderPicker)

With dlgOpen
  .AllowMultiSelect = False
  .ButtonName = "Select Import Folder"
  .Title = "Browse for Folders"
  .InitialView = msoFileDialogViewLargeIcons
  .InitialFileName = "C:\BLOB_Storage\"
    If .Show <> -1 Then Exit Sub
      strFolder = .SelectedItems(1) & "\"
End With

intResponse = MsgBox("Import Graphics from " & strFolder & "?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo, "Import Prompt")
If intResponse = vbNo Then Exit Sub

'''Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("dbo_BlobInventory", dbOpenDynaset, dbSeeChanges)
Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("dbo_BlobInventory", dbOpenDynaset, dbAppendOnly)

Set rstBLOB = New ADODB.Recordset

'''rstBLOB.Open "dbo_BlobStorage", CurrentProject.Connection, adOpenDynamic, adLockOptimistic, dbAppendOnly
rstBLOB.Open "dbo_BlobStorage", CurrentProject.Connection, adLockOptimistic

intCtr = 1
strFile = Dir(strFolder & "*", vbNormal)

Set mstream = New ADODB.Stream

DoCmd.Hourglass True

Do While strFile <> ""
  If fIsGraphicFile(strFile) Then
   intCtr2 = intCtr2 + 1
    rs.AddNew
      rs![Item Name] = strFile
      rs![ItemDescription] = "Description for File: " & CStr(intCtr)
    rs.Update
    rs.Bookmark = rs.LastModified   'for Last [BlobInventory_ID]

With mstream
      .Type = adTypeBinary
      .Open
      .LoadFromFile strFolder & strFile
    End With
    With rstBLOB
      .AddNew
        .Fields("BlobInventory_ID").Value = rs![BlobInventory_ID]     'Child Record
        .Fields("sFileName") = strFolder & strFile
        .Fields("sFileExtension") = Mid$(strFile, InStrRev(strFile, "."))
        .Fields("oPicture").Value = mstream.Read
      .Update
    End With
    mstream.Close: intCtr = intCtr + 1
  End If
    strFile = Dir
Loop

rstBLOB.Close
Set rstBLOB = Nothing

If (intCtr - 1) = 0 Then
  MsgBox "There were no Graphic Files in the Folder [" & strFolder & "]", vbExclamation, "No Graphic Files"
Else
  MsgBox CStr(intCtr2) & " Graphic Files were Imported from " & strFolder & ".", _
         vbInformation, "Import Status"
  Me.Requery
End If

Exit_Command53_Click:
  DoCmd.Hourglass False
    Exit Sub

Err_Command53_Click:
  MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Exit_Command53_Click
End Sub

ADezii
post Sep 22 2019, 04:56 PM
Post#29

But then I get an error "item not found in collection" and rs![Item Name] = strFile is highlighted

This would usually indicate that [Item Name] is not a Field contained within the underlying Recordset (rs).

ADezii
post Sep 22 2019, 06:21 PM
Post#30

As a test, I created a New SQL Server Database named BLOBs with a Table named tblInventoryPics. I then Linked to this Table and used the following Code to populate the only two Fields in tblInventoryPics ([InvID], [oPicture]{Image}). The Code worked as intended.
CODE
Dim strFile As String
Dim intCtr As Integer
Dim rstBLOB As ADODB.Recordset
Dim mstream As ADODB.Stream
Dim strFolder As String
Dim dlgOpen As Office.FileDialog
Dim intResponse As Integer
Dim intCtr2 As Integer

Set dlgOpen = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFolderPicker)

With dlgOpen
  .AllowMultiSelect = False
  .ButtonName = "Select Import Folder"
  .Title = "Browse for Folders"
  .InitialView = msoFileDialogViewLargeIcons
  .InitialFileName = "C:\"
    If .Show <> -1 Then Exit Sub
      If .SelectedItems(1) = "C:\" Then
        strFolder = .SelectedItems(1)
      Else
        strFolder = .SelectedItems(1) & "\"
      End If
End With

intResponse = MsgBox("Import Graphics from " & strFolder & "?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo, "Import Prompt")
If intResponse = vbNo Then Exit Sub

Set rstBLOB = New ADODB.Recordset
rstBLOB.Open "dbo_tblInventoryPics", CurrentProject.Connection, adOpenDynamic, adLockOptimistic

intCtr = 1
strFile = Dir(strFolder & "*", vbNormal)

Set mstream = New ADODB.Stream

Do While strFile <> ""
  If fIsGraphicFile(strFile) Then
   intCtr2 = intCtr2 + 1
    With mstream
      .Type = adTypeBinary
      .Open
      .LoadFromFile strFolder & strFile
    End With
    With rstBLOB
      .AddNew
        .Fields("InvID").Value = intCtr
        .Fields("oPicture").Value = mstream.Read
      .Update
    End With
    mstream.Close: intCtr = intCtr + 1
  End If
    strFile = Dir
Loop

This post has been edited by ADezii: Sep 22 2019, 06:21 PM

ordnance1
post Sep 22 2019, 07:54 PM
Post#31

Thank you Sir. Your first reply got me there. Seems when I setup the table in SQL Server I made a subtle change to 2 of the field names. I dropped the space between the words ItemName and ItemDescription but did not notice the space existed in the code. Sorry for wasting your time on that one.

ADezii
post Sep 23 2019, 07:26 AM
Post#32

Sorry for wasting your time on that one.

No problem at all. I am definitely not an expert on SQL Server but I do know that it is not particularly found of spaces in Field Names.

Posts in this topic
- dflak   Storing Pictures In Access - How Big Can They Be?   Aug 31 2019, 08:36 AM
- - isladogs   The maximum size is 2GB but adding lots of images ...   Aug 31 2019, 08:53 AM
- - dflak   I was afraid that would be the answer. Now what do...   Aug 31 2019, 07:21 PM
- - June7   Access has an Image control that can be bound to A...   Aug 31 2019, 08:07 PM
|- - JohnvanSomeren   Hi, I have been using DBPix from http://www.ammara...   Sep 5 2019, 09:54 AM
|- - ADezii   Have you considered storing the Images as BLOBs (B...   Sep 5 2019, 10:14 AM
|- - ADezii   P.S. - I haven't worked with BLOBs in awhile, ...   Sep 5 2019, 11:15 AM
|- - ordnance1   Sorry for jumping in on this thread but I am in a ...   Sep 12 2019, 08:46 AM
|- - ADezii   QUOTE what the process would be to convert files i...   Sep 12 2019, 11:55 AM
|- - ordnance1   That would be greatly appreciated.   Sep 15 2019, 09:53 PM
|- - ADezii   The one, and only purpose of the attached Demo, is...   Sep 16 2019, 07:40 AM
|- - ordnance1   Thanks for the demo file. I will spend some time t...   Sep 16 2019, 10:06 AM
|- - ordnance1   Ran into a compile error that the code needs to be...   Sep 16 2019, 10:11 AM
|- - ordnance1   Cannot get it to work. When I click on the button...   Sep 16 2019, 10:57 AM
|- - ADezii   Note sure exactly what is going since I tried it o...   Sep 16 2019, 05:37 PM
|- - ADezii   I am willing to guess that the problems that you a...   Sep 17 2019, 10:44 AM
|- - ordnance1   Only change to the code I made was adding PtrSafe ...   Sep 18 2019, 03:38 AM
|- - ADezii   I have attached the Demo for you for your review. ...   Sep 18 2019, 09:48 AM
||- - ordnance1   Well I certainly appreciate all your time and effo...   Sep 19 2019, 11:38 AM
||- - ordnance1   I should note that all other buttons function prop...   Sep 19 2019, 11:40 AM
||- - ADezii   It must have to do with the API References, as soo...   Sep 19 2019, 11:51 AM
||- - ordnance1   A t your convenience, you have invested a lot of t...   Sep 19 2019, 12:21 PM
||- - ADezii   I have completely eliminated the overwhelming majo...   Sep 19 2019, 01:37 PM
||- - ordnance1   I am able to do the import, but currently each imp...   Sep 19 2019, 04:28 PM
||- - ordnance1   Just wondering if the temp folder can be c:\T...   Sep 19 2019, 05:40 PM
||- - ADezii   QUOTE Just wondering if the temp folder can be c:...   Sep 19 2019, 06:22 PM
||- - ADezii   CODEmsTemporaryFolder = getTempFolder & "...   Sep 19 2019, 06:22 PM
||- - ADezii   CODEmsTemporaryFolder = getTempFolder & "...   Sep 19 2019, 06:23 PM
||- - ordnance1   I can't express effectively how invaluable you...   Sep 19 2019, 07:43 PM
||- - ADezii   Before you do anything, just a quick question. By ...   Sep 19 2019, 07:46 PM
||- - ordnance1   10-4 thanks   Sep 19 2019, 07:58 PM
||- - ordnance1   Is PDF an option? I would like to archive related ...   Sep 20 2019, 08:01 AM
||- - ordnance1   Having spent a considerable number of hours in Goo...   Sep 20 2019, 08:58 AM
||- - ADezii   You can Save Objects, in this case *.doc, *.docx, ...   Sep 20 2019, 05:06 PM
||- - ADezii   NOTE: Set the Verb Property of the Bound Object Fr...   Sep 20 2019, 07:09 PM
||- - ordnance1   Sorry to keep bothering you, but, I have been spen...   Sep 22 2019, 12:14 PM
||- - ADezii   QUOTE But then I get an error "item not found...   Sep 22 2019, 04:56 PM
||- - ADezii   As a test, I created a New SQL Server Database nam...   Sep 22 2019, 06:21 PM
||- - ordnance1   Thank you Sir. Your first reply got me there. Seem...   Sep 22 2019, 07:54 PM
||- - ADezii   QUOTE Sorry for wasting your time on that one. No ...   Sep 23 2019, 07:26 AM
|- - ordnance1   We have success. I am checking it out now. Thank ...   Sep 19 2019, 03:15 PM
- - DanielPineault   You shouldn't use attachments, especially in t...   Sep 5 2019, 11:22 AM
- - dflak   My client is married to Access. In fact, I am drag...   Sep 5 2019, 03:46 PM
- - MadPiet   and the nice thing about SQL Server Express is tha...   Sep 5 2019, 03:53 PM

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    28th February 2020 - 12:37 AM