UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Using Access From Home, Access 2016    

meyert
post Mar 25 2020, 01:48 PM
Post#1

Hello,

I am not sure where the best spot for this question is, so I am trying here.

Due to this virus we are all working from home. The database files are split and each user has a front end with the backend on the server

Are there any tips to have better performance while we are working through the company's VPN?

Something that I should be looking for?

Please let me know your thoughts

Thank you
Go to the top of the page

cheekybuddha
post Mar 25 2020, 02:03 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess Moderator

You are in a really horrible position. Access backends are not good candidates for working over anything other than a LAN.

Even a fast WAN id much slower, and with a VPN on top it's going to be like wading through molasases

Your realistic options are:
1. Convert the backend to SQLServer or equivalent
2. Use a remote desktop setup like RDP to access your work desktops.

shrug.gif

d

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

DanielPineault
post Mar 25 2020, 05:00 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

See: https://www.devhut.net/2016/09/24/access-ba...edrive-dropbox/

but basically, you should never run an Access db over the internet, and/or VPN and some of your options include:
  • Remote Desktop
  • TeamViewer
  • CITRIX
  • Terminal Services
  • Upsize the back-end and host it on Azure, or another online host (thus creating a Hybrid database). So the back-end resides in the clouds and your front-end continues, as is, on each user’s PC.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2020 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

FrankRuperto
post Mar 25 2020, 05:12 PM
Post#4

Your best solution is to remote into a workstation at your company. Contact your IT department to see which remote software is installed that you can use. If there's no IT dept, then you can install a free remote product like AnyDesk on your workstation at the company, set it up for unattended access with a password, leave workstation on, go home install AnyDesk on your PC and connect to the workstation using the AnyDesk ID and password you set up on your comapny workstation. Only one user should be connected to one workstation, so if there's several of you working from home, they will also have to do what I just explained to their own workstations at work.

hth, Frank
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Mar 25 2020, 05:22 PM

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix, Oracle & PostgreSQL db's.

meyert
post Mar 26 2020, 08:16 AM
Post#5

thank you for your responses.. I will have to give these points some thought

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    6th July 2020 - 04:19 PM