UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best Practice After Exporting New Table To Sharepoint, SharePoint 2013    

blueman2
post Aug 4 2018, 08:46 AM
Post#1

I've had to create a new table for my database which exists as a BE on sharepoint as lists. I would assume I just export this table to the correct sharepoint URL that contains the other tables/lists but after that, do I delete the actual table that I just created on my FE and link to the list now on sharepoint?

I also realize that I could probably keep the actual table on my FE copy on my hard drive but I think I'd be concerned about having a confusing duplicate table which might end up getting used by mistake instead of the linked list/table on sharepoint?

Any guidance would be helpful

thanks

Have access 2013
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Aug 4 2018, 08:55 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

Keep a second table? To what end? Are you afraid of losing that table, somehow, once the Sharepoint list version is established? Or....?

To be honest, this sounds like a coin flip to me. Keep it in a backup copy of your accdb, if that's something that seems like a good idea to you.

Or, you can rename the original Access table to something like "Z_yourtablenamegoeshere", and keep the new SharePoint list as a linked table called "yourtablenamegoeshere".

I prefer to keep things around for a while after making a structural change until I'm sure everything is going well with the new tables/fields/queries, etc. Once I'm sure the changeover is stable, I then delete the "Z_" stuff from the production version of an accdb.

YOUR decision, of course, is entirely up to you.

blueman2
post Aug 4 2018, 09:02 AM
Post#3

Sure. Always afraid of losing something, but your suggestion is exactly what I've done so far. And I do think once I have confidence that it's all working, I'll just get rid of the copy once I feel comfortable using it or archive it.

Thanks

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    14th November 2018 - 05:35 PM