UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Split Database How Copy Db For Other User Since Location Of Be Will Not Be Found In The Correct Location, Access 2016    

Dpucher
post Jul 19 2019, 06:27 PM
Post#1

I have a split database and at times want to send the database to a DB consultant to correct errors. Before the DB was split I could send the DB to the consultant in an email. However since it is split the front end will not find the back end since it will not be in file pathway I set up when it was on my server. Is there a way to resolve this so I can copy and send the DB to another user?

Thank you,
Go to the top of the page

RJD
post Jul 19 2019, 07:06 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

welcome2UA.gif

If you want to share the backend data with the consultant as well as the frontend, and the consultant is for modifying the frontend (not the backend data), just send both files (FE and BE) to the consultant. Any Access consultant worth the name should be able to put the files in a convenient place and re-link the two, then send you back the modified FE (and BE as well, if it is changed structurally) - which you can then re-link as required when you receive it/them.

Note that the consultant can also always emulate your setup by partitioning a drive to match your server drive letter, then load the FE and BE in their correct locations. I use this occasionally with clients so that they will not have to change the FE links when I send them a revised copy of the FE.

Or am I not understanding your question?

HTH
Joe

--------------------
"Each problem that I solved became a rule, which served afterwards to solve other problems."
"You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing."

Rene Descartes 1596-1650 (Mathematician and Philosopher)

theDBguy
post Jul 19 2019, 07:38 PM
Post#3

UA Moderator

Hi,

Welcome to UtterAccess!
welcome2UA.gif

I agree with Joe. You shouldn't have to worry about this issue for the consultant because it shouldn't be an issue for him/her. Just give both files to him/her and see what he/she says.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

Dpucher
post Jul 19 2019, 08:26 PM
Post#4

Joe and the DB Guy,

Thanks for the tip. I'll see if this is a problem for the consultant.

RJD
post Jul 19 2019, 08:37 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

You are very welcome, from both of us.

Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Regards,
Joe

--------------------
"Each problem that I solved became a rule, which served afterwards to solve other problems."
"You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing."

Rene Descartes 1596-1650 (Mathematician and Philosopher)

Dpucher
post Jul 19 2019, 10:38 PM
Post#6

Joe and DB Guy,

I thought of another scenario that may cause a problem with splitting the DB. The DB is at my work on a network (shared) drive. I haven't actually split the database and have only tested splitting copies of the DB. Sometimes I want to send the DB to my home computer (after removing the data). If the DB was split I wouldn't have the ability to open the DB at home because the DB is on a network drive and I don't have a network drive at home. My goal is to protect the data from accidental deletion at work but if I loose the ability to send the DB to my home then it isn't worth it. Is there any way in the setup of splitting the DB that I could allow for a variable file location so I could send to my home computer? I know I could compile the DB but this is difficult since I implemented use of the DB last week and I make 2-3 changes every day so it would be time consuming to use a compiled file with so many changes. Any other way to protect the tables in a DB that is not split?

isladogs
post Jul 20 2019, 03:06 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

You would just relink FE and BE at home using the linked table manager. Same as your consultant.
I answered exactly the same question a week ago in your parallel thread at https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=77379.
I also supplied code to allow you to backup your BE file and explained ways to do so at a scheduled time.
Have you seen that reply?

--------------------
Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
Website, email

Dpucher
post Jul 20 2019, 04:17 PM
Post#8

Colin,

I did get the articles. After rereading your note I was able to reconnect the tables using Linked Table Manager.

I don't see code to backup tables every day at a prescribed time (12:01am) in the articles Improve Security in Access Databases Part 1 (of 2) and "Securing Your Database - A Tutorial Part 2 (of 2). Maybe I didn't get it. The below code is working for my DB but it isn't scheduled. Can you show me the code to schedule the backup?

Public Sub BackupAndCompactBE()
'Courtesy of datAdrenaline
On Error GoTo errHandler
Dim oFSO As Object
Dim strDestination As String
Dim strSource As String
'Get the source of your back end
strSource = Split(Split(CurrentDb.TableDefs("Residenttbl").Connect, "Database=")(1), ";")(0)

'Determine your destination
strDestination = "C:\Users\Duncan\Documents\Personal Documents\HIM Documents\Health Record Processes\Carla v15_be (" & Format(Now, "yyyymmddhhnnss") & ").accdb"

'Flush the cache of the current database
DBEngine.Idle

'Create a file scripting object that will backup the db
Set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
oFSO.CopyFile strSource, strDestination
Set oFSO = Nothing

'Compact the new file, ...
Name strDestination As strDestination & ".cpk"
DBEngine.CompactDatabase strDestination & ".cpk", strDestination
Kill strDestination & ".cpk"

'Notify users
MsgBox "Backup file '" & strDestination & "' has been created.", vbInformation, "Backup Completed!"

errExit:
Exit Sub

errHandler:
MsgBox Err.Number & ": " & Err.Description
Resume errExit

End Sub

isladogs
post Jul 20 2019, 04:40 PM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

I provided code to backup the BE and outlined three methods of scheduling this at a specified time.
See post #17 in your earlier thread at Access Forums https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=77379 which was written a week ago

--------------------
Website, email

Dpucher
post Jul 20 2019, 10:09 PM
Post#10

Isladogs,

Below is a copy of thread 13 in Access Forums concerning a scheduled backup. I responded with thread 14. In the articles you provided or your website I can't locate frontend code for daily backups. Could you show me where this is located?

I make daily backups using a scheduled task but it can also be done from the frontend using code.
For most purposes, daily is adequate though I know of cases where it is done hourly

If you wish I can provide you with code you can tweak.
As Micron said, at the worst you will then only lose data created/edited after the last backup

As for multiple users, the maximum theoretical limit is 255 concurrent users though Access will slow to a crawl or crash long before that limit.
However I regularly have Access FEs in use with 25-50 users at once.
One large schools app has up to 200 users at peak times ...though that runs with a SQL Server BE for stability and additional security.
Three concurrent users isn't an issue as long as each user has their own copy of the FE on their own workstation

I've already provided links to two security articles but there is other related info on my website as well
Last edited by isladogs; 07-10-2019 at 01:56 PM.

isladogs
post Jul 21 2019, 01:47 AM
Post#11

UtterAccess VIP

The online articles don't over scheduling a backup as that's not relevant go their scope.

Apologies. The previous reply should have said post #17 and I've now edited it accordingly.
It appears you haven't looked at that post after a week.
It includes backup code plus an outline of how to schedule backups - 3 methods.
I'm recommending use of Task Scheduler so code isn't relevant.
Whilst I could export my version as XML for you to import, you'll need to alter it completely anyway.
However scheduled tasks are fairly straightforward to do

--------------------
Website, email

Dpucher
post Jul 21 2019, 04:28 PM
Post#12

Isladogs,

Sorry for the mix up.

I had not seen page 2 of the posts and didn't see any posts after page one. I see the threads go to a second page and I can see you answers.

Thanks again,

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    8th December 2019 - 07:50 AM