UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Two Month Per Page Calendar; Vertical Display, Access 2016    

weeblesue
post Feb 13 2020, 09:20 AM
Post#1

Hello There. Long time Access user here. I consider myself somewhat advanced. But I would like some guidance for creating a report for birthdays/anniversaries in a format that is NOT the typical one-month-per-page grid format. I would like two months per page, vertical, with the date going down the middle. I have attached a screen shot of my ultimate goal. Here's a simplified text version. Dashes are only for spacing.
January------------ February
Person1 (1999) 1
------------------ 3 Person2 (1958)
Person3 (2012) 4
------------------ 5 Person4 (1940)
and so on.
An example is found online here:
https://wordtemplatesbundle.com/wp-content/...niversary-1.jpg

I am not worried about graphics or color; I can do that part.
I have searched this forum for other calendar help and they are all for the one month grid type calendar. frown.gif

Would I use two subreports? One for even months and one for odd? I'm not sure how to handle the months having different dates, like January having 31 days and February only having 28 or 29.

We have a very large extended family and I'd like to produce this to share with everyone. I'd like to be able to maintain it going into the future when new family members are added. I'll add a "show" check box so I can filter out certain family groups as needed. It's gonna be great! If I can ever figure out the report.....

Thanks in Advance. I am glad to have found this helpful forum.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  TwoPageCalendar.png ( 35.97K )Number of downloads: 4

Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Feb 13 2020, 10:53 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

Welcome to UtterAccess.

I suspect two subreports would be the least complex to implement.
This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: Feb 13 2020, 10:56 AM

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

GroverParkGeorge
post Feb 13 2020, 10:55 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

On a different note, having tried for years to do something similar for my family, I have to wish you good luck getting everyone to take it seriously. For some reason, people tend to follow their own path for such things. wink.gif

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

Peter Hibbs
post Feb 14 2020, 04:44 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Hi weeblesue,

How are you getting on with your project, have you done any more since your first post?

There a few different ways of doing this but it depends a bit on your table design. Do you already have a table with a list of birth dates and names and if so, what fields do you have in it?

What do you want to see on the report if there are, say, three (or more) birthdays on the same date? Do you want to expand the row to two rows for that date (Can Grow) or do you want to keep them on the same row and truncate the last date/s?

You are showing the year of the birth in your examples but I would suggest showing the age on that date instead as this takes up slightly less room is normally what people want to know.

What I would do is I would create a temporary table which is bound to the report and then just fill the table with the relevant names on the relevant dates using some code. I think this would be easy enough to do and would give you a bit more flexibility with the layout.

Anyway, let us know how you are getting on and if you still need any assistance.

Peter Hibbs.

theDBguy
post Feb 14 2020, 12:36 PM
Post#5

UA Moderator

Hi Sue. Welcome to UtterAccess! welcome2UA.gif

I hope you're getting along well with your project. I was just curious why you selected this particular layout. It seems like you're trying to compare two months side-by-side rather than just simply displaying what's happening in each month. Cheers!

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

dw85745
post Feb 17 2020, 10:22 PM
Post#6

I would approach by:.

--------------------
First
-------------------
Put three listboxes on a form side by side.
Call them March, Dates, April for this example

Read your dates for the two months from Access into two separate string arrays dimensioned 1 to 31 (base 1)
Call the arrays arrMarch, arrApril.
If more than one person has the same birthday you will need to add a comma and then add the next person when filling the array at that index.

If no birthday for a given date, skip that array index.
Now read the arrays to the correct listbox and use .AddItem for the array string at that index.
If the array index is blank make .AddItem " ".

As you spin through the first array (or do both at the same time for speed) -- as each index is encountered -- use that index in the 2nd listbox .AddItem for your dates.
If you do NOT want a second listbox for dates, then you could you use a control array of shapes -- or -- better yet place a fillled rectangle with whatever color you want and then
center text (the date = the index) in that rectangle.

-----------------------
Second
----------------------
If you don't want to use listboxes, then just determine the client window height (scaleHeight) and width (scalewidth).
then loop the arrays in (First above) and as you loop also increment the CurrentY and then set and print the array values at the CurrentX for your three columns.
If a blank array value is encountered draw a line the width of the CurrentX designated month column. As with above, I'd use a color rectangle and place the date within.

HTH
David
encountered than draw a line.
This post has been edited by dw85745: Feb 17 2020, 10:40 PM

Peter Hibbs
post Feb 18 2020, 02:29 PM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Sue,

As the other posts have pointed out, there are a number of methods you can use for this project. A few years ago I did something similar for a colleague so I have modified that database to provide the facilities you requested (I think).

Download the zip file if you are still interested and feel free to ask any questions if you need to.

Peter Hibbs.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Form.png ( 70.05K )Number of downloads: 1
Attached File  Report.png ( 21.3K )Number of downloads: 2
Attached File  Calendar_2_Months_Demo.zip ( 100.14K )Number of downloads: 7

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    5th April 2020 - 08:47 AM