UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access 64 Bit Install Convert Back To 32 Bit, Access 2016    

supmktg
post May 21 2019, 09:27 PM
Post#1

I installed Office 365 2016 assuming that it would default to 32 bit as before. Unfortunately, the new default install is 64 bit which blocks parts of my 32 bit vba code.
I have 2 questions:

1) Do I need to uninstall/reinstall, or is there some shortcut to convert from 64 bit back to 32 bit?
2) Is there a way to keep the 64 bit installation and add a separate 32 bit Access only on the same machine?

Thanks,
Sup
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post May 21 2019, 09:53 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Sup,
1. Most likely uninstall first
2. Probably not
3. You can fix your code to work on 64-bit

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

AccessApostle
post May 22 2019, 03:04 AM
Post#3

Just to give an example of what you may have to do: most likely it is about adding PtrSafe to your declarations. To make it work on both 32 bit and 64 bit installations of office you can do the following:

#If Win64 Then
Private Declare PtrSafe Function apiGetUserName Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias "GetUserNameA" (ByVal lpBuffer As String, nSize As Long) As Long
#Else
Private Declare Function apiGetUserName Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias "GetUserNameA" (ByVal lpBuffer As String, nSize As Long) As Long
#End If

Exactly the same, just the PtrSafe needs to be added for 64 bit.

For some functions where you get a Long from a library you may need to replace by a LongPtr datatype for 64 bit installations as well.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    20th June 2019 - 08:17 AM