UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Preview Deletes Version    

JenniferMurphy
post May 29 2018, 02:24 PM
Post#1

If I click on the Preview Post button, my version setting is reset so I have to set it again. This bug has been around for years. Can't we get it fixed?

But why do I need to set it for every post in the first place? Allow me to set it once in my profile and then show it in my sig. That's how every other tech support message board that I have used works.
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post May 29 2018, 03:02 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

As we have previously discussed, this is NOT every other site you visit.

The problem with the lost version designation is one that keeps getting pushed to the back burner, which is a bit of a frustration for a lot of us.

I guess the main reason we'd not go down the path of "one-size-fits-all" version designations, globally set, is that many of us switch back and forth between versions, depending on a number of factors. It would be counter-productive in some ways.

JenniferMurphy
post May 29 2018, 05:30 PM
Post#3

As we have previously discussed, this is NOT every other site you visit.

That's for sure. pullhair.gif My purpose in comparing UA to "other sites" is constructive. I want it to be better. The content and many of the contributors are first rate. But the software is mediocre. It could be so much better.

The problem with the lost version designation is one that keeps getting pushed to the back burner, which is a bit of a frustration for a lot of us.

OK.

I guess the main reason we'd not go down the path of "one-size-fits-all" version designations, globally set, is that many of us switch back and forth between versions, depending on a number of factors. It would be counter-productive in some ways.

That makes sense. Also, people might set it and forget it. Then, when they upgrade, the sig would be misleading.

Netopia
post Sep 10 2018, 04:17 PM
Post#4

+1 for this request.

Joe

JonSmith
post Sep 11 2018, 03:00 AM
Post#5

If its optional it hopefully wouldn't be an issue though right? I personally wouldn't set it as I don't find it a chore to select a version.
I rarely use the preview as I am more of a post it then read and edit. Which is probably quite sloppy but hey, thats me.

George, would it be perhaps worth considering a slight change to the preview functionality to avoid the bug altogether?. Currently it reloads the current page and embeds the post preview in it. Obviously this requires a decent amount of logic to preserve the existing data aswell as adding the new embedded post preview.

Perhaps a quick and easy fix that I think would also be better functionality would be, like reviewing the thread option, the preview appears in a small window? That way you only need to pass the info rather than ensuring all the existing data is preserved. As a result if things like the version selection are abit of a pain to preserve it doesn't even matter.
Maybe I am over simplifying things? I'm not much of a web developer.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    10th December 2018 - 10:11 AM