UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V < 1 2  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access In A Website, Access 2010 (Office 2010 Pro)    

AlbertKallal
post Mar 1 2019, 06:25 PM
Post#21

UtterAccess VIP

I think for someone with VBA and Access experience then the free Edition of Visual Studio express is the path of least effort.

You get a VBA like language (vb.net). You get a program editor very much like VBA.

Visual studio installs and sets up a web server for you (so you can local develop).

So with this setup you off to the races with some great built in web site templates.

and simply install SQL express. The free edition of Visual Studio has all the features of the paid edition (they are the same except for very few features - none that really matter).

Likely one of the best free IDE's you can get.

see this post of mine here on UA:

https://www.UtterAccess.com/forum/index.php...2050957&hl=

In above (you have to read into the threads I show both a Access report and then the same in Visual Studio. And I show a Access form and then a web Visual Studio form.

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP 2003-2017)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Go to the top of the page

stevep
post Mar 2 2019, 08:14 AM
Post#22

That's pretty interesting. I haven't heard of Front Page for years, not that I understand anything about web databases anyway:)

Oops, didn't notice there was a page 2 on the thread. I am referring to the countyrealty post.
This post has been edited by stevep: Mar 2 2019, 08:25 AM

sumosoftware
post May 14 2019, 06:35 PM
Post#23

You could also look at other low code options like https://www.caspio.com/ or https://www.zoho.com/creator/.

GroverParkGeorge
post May 14 2019, 07:17 PM
Post#24

UA Admin

"I haven't heard of Front Page for years, ..."

Microsoft deprecated Front Page years ago, so I'm not even sure you'd be able to find and obtain a copy to install.

If you go in the direction of creating a web app, go with Albert's recommendation, IMO. Visual Studio Express is a good deal.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

firlandsfarm
post May 25 2019, 05:54 AM
Post#25

Hey, this topic has suddenly sprung back into life and it's timely ... I didn't pursue the reason for the OP but I'm now back in the game with an SQL 2008 R2 database that I use with an Access 2016 (Office365) FE that contains some complimentary tables. I still can't do SQL 'properly' and I am constantly frustrated that it either won't/can't/I don't know how to do what I want or it makes it so complicated that I can't be bothered and resort back to the Access FE. So I would prefer to use the Access front end for everything and maybe gradually translate the Access SQL to Transact SQL over time. So I guess Visual Studio Express is the way to go, yes? Is there a good teaching website that can be recommended?

Thanks for the links sumosoftware I've looked at Zoho before and glanced at Caspio but couldn't find much about incorporating them in a website and if they will talk to SQL Server. Myabe I just missing it. frown.gif

And TinyGiant2010 ... I can't believe how cheap your property is! I used to have Frontpage 2003 but rather stupidly got shot of it when Microsoft launched Expression Web, that was a disaster!

Grover, there are many sites you can download Frontpage from (not suggesting you do!). 2003 was the last version and it is not on any offical compatability list for Win10 butmany say they still use it without any problem. I must admit the thought/product never crossed my mind.

--------------------
Never doubt the courage of the French - they discovered that snails are edible!

GroverParkGeorge
post May 25 2019, 08:18 AM
Post#26

UA Admin

First, I am not sure whether you are thinking of using Access behind a website because you refer to an Access FE with a SQL Server BE. Are you actually planning to put this SQL Server BE behind a website as well? Access FE would mean a desktop, Windows environment.

One thing that bears repeating here, I think, is that Access is unique among Windows development tools (or nearly unique). It contains tools for creating:

a) The data layer in an application. That would be the tables.

b) The logic layer in an application. That would be VBA and macros.

c) The interface layer in an application. That would be forms and reports.

SQL Server, on the other hand, offers a) and to some extent b). There are no interface elements available in SQL Server. If you want to use SQL Server as the data layer in an application, you need a tool to develop the interface and most of the logic.

The use of an accdb or mdb for the data layer, or BE, in a website is rare, and should be. It's not the optimal choice, though it can be done. Hosting companies may still offer it as an option, but with MySQL and SQL Server usually available as well, there's little incentive to go that way.

What I remember about Frontpage was mostly that it generated a stew of html, rather than simple, straightforward html. But there are so many modern languages available today that one really needs a modern development environment to work in anyway.

Finally, if you look at a hosted website, you'll probably find most offer more recent versions of SQL Server, like 2017 or 2019. SQL Server 2008 R2 is close to its end of life. That doesn't mean solutions built on that version will quit working, but Microsoft will no longer be offering security updates. I suppose some web hosts do still offer it, too. But I can't imagine they'll maintain that offering much longer.

I will refer you a series of videos we made last year regarding alternatives to Access Web Apps, including a couple on ZOHO creator.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

firlandsfarm
post May 25 2019, 12:12 PM
Post#27

Thanks again George ...

"First, I am not sure whether you are thinking of using Access behind a website because you refer to an Access FE with a SQL Server BE. Are you actually planning to put this SQL Server BE behind a website as well? Access FE would mean a desktop, Windows environment." Well we are actually talking of the same setup as my other thread you are helping on so yes, it will consist of Access and an SQL database. But not the same one, just an identical copy (the license I have allows two installs). I was thinking (hoping) I could use Access with the SQL tables linked within the website using Visual Studio Express.

"There are no interface elements available in SQL Server." Yes, I know, that's why I find SQL an absolute pain by introducing an extra layer of complication! I'm an old dog who cannot be taught new SQL tricks. I've tried and find SQL completely incoherient, I've raised queries here that couldn't be answered ... that's not a pleasure it's purgatory. What I'm asking may not be the most perfect solution but a walking stick is faster for a blind man than a car! And an earlier post by Albert said he thought "for someone with VBA and Access experience then the free Edition of Visual Studio express is the path of least effort"

"If you want to use SQL Server as the data layer in an application, you need a tool to develop the interface and most of the logic." that's my question above ... Access FE with linked Access BE and SQL tables and Visual Studio?

I have never suggested nor considered using Frontpage, I was simply responding to your comment that you were "not even sure you'd be able to find and obtain a copy to install".

"you'll probably find most offer more recent versions of SQL Server, like 2017 or 2019" I'm sure they will but my use of 2008 is tied to the app that installed it and updates the database in it. I have no control whatsoever over it, I only want to read the tables anyway, I don't want to interfer with someone else's setup that works. But I have already established that if I install the app on a (Windows) VPS it installs 2008 as it should and automatically downloads updates an it should.

--------------------
Never doubt the courage of the French - they discovered that snails are edible!

TinyGiant2010
post Sep 5 2019, 11:24 AM
Post#28

Deep cleansing breath...... okay here goes.
If someone today told you they have an Access 2000 mdb with 25000 records in one table, 1000 in a second table, and 500 in a third table; and they needed to display this on the internet, how would you recommend they do this?
All three tables get updated daily. Database gets uploaded to webhost daily.

User visits website, has to login, and their login username and password are in the 1000 table.

Once logged in, user can specify up to 10 search parameters; all of which are fixed. (Out of these 10, select whatever is relevant. This is not "pick 10 random things you can search by")

Once parameters are keyed in, hit the "search" button and see a roster of results that fit the parameter limits. This search hits the 25000 table, and certain elements in this table lookup returns from the 500 table.

While looking at the roster, user is able to click on one result and see full data for this specific item (aka record).

End of objectives.

What current tools do you recommend that would accomplish this?
I'm thinking I need "something" to hold the data itself; something easily updated by one person. (Today I am using .mdb file)
I also need something to slice the data down to fit the parameters. (Today I am using FrontPage 2000 as an html editor only - I do not "publish to web" but transfer files individually. These pages run VB scripting to retrieve fields out of 25000 table and linked 500 table.)
I also need something to display the results. (Today I also use FP2k for this, with html coding. This page also runs with VB scripting, and includes SQL statement to retrieve appropriate fields).

I guess if I had to mimic all of this, using tool(s) available today - I guess I am asking what tools should I use to do this?

I've read answers over the years that suggest using MySQL (and variants) married with an editor. Problem is, I am very comfy creating/inputting/using info in Access and I would love to continue to do so. If I could "easily export" to another db like MySQL; I've not seen any "easy" way to do this. I know it's a snap to export tables from one Access DB into another DB file; and I do this daily. Last time I looked into this, and it's been awhile, the issue of exporting out of Access into MySQL overwhelmed me.

For my next trick - currently I maintain 25000/1000/500 myself and in the future, if a visitor (or secure visitor) wants to supplement these records themselves (I don't have to touch it, but can monitor closely for quality control as well as specify what data they can put where (thinking combo-box strategies); would these tool recommendations still be the same, or would they change?

I may be in way over my head and I'm gulping some water on this - but I am not quite dead yet. Any insights would be appreciated.
-To be truthful, I start with a 25000 record table of records, but after I pare out what I don't want, it slims down to about 650 records. I actually transfer 650/1000/500 tables in one database to my webhost daily. It's under 6MB.

This post has been edited by TinyGiant2010: Sep 5 2019, 11:32 AM

--------------------
Self taught newbie just trying to remember that fields are in tables and controls are on forms.

2 Pages V < 1 2

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    21st September 2019 - 09:11 PM