UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Insert Query Desire, Any Versions    

ordnance1
post May 8 2019, 05:48 PM
Post#1

I have a weather database that I have created. I import my data from a flat file into a temp table "WeatherData_Temp" I then want to insert that data into "WeatherData". As you can see I am importing every second (which I will condense down later) but there are a number of rows where the data is identical. Is there any way to write a query that would not insert a row if it matched (with the exception of the timestamp) the preceding row?

Attached File  Untitled_picture.png ( 172.3K )Number of downloads: 10
Go to the top of the page

June7
post May 8 2019, 06:21 PM
Post#2

They aren't identical records because the timestamp is different.

I don't think a query alone can accomplish, at least not simply, because the data in 7 fields has to checked. For what period would you want to compare the 7 fields and discard 'dups' - every minute, hour, day?

--------------------
Attachments Manager is below the edit post window. To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.
DEBUG! DEBUG! DEBUG! http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/DebuggingVBA.aspx

MadPiet
post May 8 2019, 06:55 PM
Post#3

If you can return a "bin value" for a series of times, then you can use ROW_NUMBER() with an OVER BY clause to identify which sequential records could be considered duplicates, and then you could just filter those out.

Any chance you could post a CREATE TABLE and an INSERT script to populate the table with some sample data? And how much of a window of time would you consider to be in the same "bin" (well, since you're grouping times together).
This post has been edited by MadPiet: May 8 2019, 06:57 PM

ordnance1
post May 9 2019, 11:05 AM
Post#4

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Having given this some more thought, and not having a desire to store a line of data for each second. I will probably format the timestamp to date, hours and minutes (dropping the seconds) and generate the average of each value for that minute.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th July 2019 - 10:13 PM