UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Creating A Process Log On The Screen, Access 2016    

Psycoperl
post Nov 18 2019, 09:46 AM
Post#1

I am working on a project where I want to show the user what is being done and status messages (this way it is not a black hole that they think stopped working when processing a lot of records).
What I would like to do is have a text box and add an entry as a new row on the bottom of the text. However, when the text box's visible area fills up, I would like to have it automatically scroll down.

How can this be done?
Go to the top of the page

DanielPineault
post Nov 18 2019, 10:00 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Instead, append new thing to the Top, that way they always have the current process/update in view.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 18 2019, 12:26 PM
Post#3

UA Admin

Capitalizing on Daniel's suggestion, I decided to set up a simple demo. Once i got started, of course, I had to add a couple of additional adornments.

See if you can modify and integrate this little demo to meet your needs.
Attached File  ScrollingProgressMessage.zip ( 33.56K )Number of downloads: 20

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

DanielPineault
post Nov 18 2019, 12:34 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Now you're just showing off George!

Very nice. hat_tip.gif

--------------------

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 18 2019, 12:51 PM
Post#5

UA Admin

Thanks.

Actually, it's been a while since I had a chance to do a little demo, and this seems like a useful thing to have in a toolkit.

I'll bet it can be improved, though, and I am looking forward to that.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
Beginning SQL Server

Psycoperl
post Nov 18 2019, 01:14 PM
Post#6

Thanks all that is what I have been doing... but my end users found it confusing, especially when there are multiple steps going on for a single record and multiple messages that are being displayed. This is why I was looking for a method to append to the bottom and auto scroll instead of appending to the top.

Thanks,

DanielPineault
post Nov 18 2019, 01:19 PM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

It won't be any less confusing? Same information, just a different order and you wil have to continuously keep scrolling, so you'll end up with flashing ... Been there, done that, and quickly moved on.

--------------------

theDBguy
post Nov 18 2019, 01:26 PM
Post#8

UA Moderator

Hi. For what it's worth, my progress status update is just one line/row, so no scrolling, and hopefully, less confusion. Whatever is the current status, it's what's displayed. Just my 2 cents...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 19 2019, 10:22 PM
Post#9

UA Admin

Okay, here's a fuller development with two forms. One scrolls First to Last items processed, the other scrolls Last to First items processed.

I also added a counter, using the GetTickCount() API that should be useful in timing the steps in a procedure, if you want to capture and display that information as part of the progress log.

I'm sure this can be cleaned up more, so I'm interested in seeing what people come up with.

Attached File  ScrollingProgressMessage.zip ( 76.87K )Number of downloads: 5

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

WildBird
post Nov 19 2019, 11:49 PM
Post#10

UtterAccess VIP

I just have a splash screen basically its just a form.

It has 2 parts, Heading, and Update, both text boxes.

I have code named Splash, which takes 4 parameters, all optional. Heading, update, status, and close.

say if I am relinking my tables, I would call it something like Splash "Relinking", tabledef.name, tabledef.name

then on the exit, I would call splash ,,,true

It checks if it is open, and opens it if it isnt, updates the values, and updates the status bar at the bottom. Passing True as last parameter, shuts down the form and clears the status bar text.

--------------------
Beer, natures brain defragging tool.

isladogs
post Nov 20 2019, 06:35 AM
Post#11

UtterAccess VIP

Similar to George's rather neat example, I have one application where I use a vertical scrolling status message to show the progress of a lengthy process to synchronise data with an external database using 30 remotely generated CSV files. The two screenshots below show this in use and again when completed

Attached File  Scrolling_progress_report_1.PNG ( 51.85K )Number of downloads: 10

Attached File  Scrolling_progress_report_2.PNG ( 69.54K )Number of downloads: 7

The process takes 30-45 minutes to complete so is normally run unattended overnight as a scheduled task

Incidentally, in that app, I also use GetTickCount to time each part of the routine.
Recently I ran a series of tests on 6 different methods of measuring time accurately
The zip file attached includes an example app containing all the code needed to run the tests together with a PDF with further information on my findings]
Although all methods work well, in repeated tests, I found that GetTickCount was less reliable than other methods such as the simple Timer function and timeGetTime.
See here for a detailed article on the tests and my conclusions Timer Comparison Tests

As the screenshots show the status 'report' includes info on each section of the routine and an error message if anything fails.
I've deliberately included a couple of errors to illustrate the point
I use a monospaced font so everything lines up neatly.
In addition, the routine generates a text log file which is automatically emailed to the program admin so he/she can see the next morning whether there were any issues
Attached File  SDALinkLog.txt ( 9.54K )Number of downloads: 1

Like George's example, there is some flickering each time the status report screen is updated. However that isn't an issue due to the way it is run.

However for standard applications, I find this approach is overkill and can confuse end users
Instead I normally use a single line status message and progress bar:

Attached File  ProgressBar1.PNG ( 20.16K )Number of downloads: 3

I've attached an example of this in use. In normal use it would be updated after each procedure is run However, for the purposes of the demo the progress bar is updated on a timer

Attached File  ExampleProgBar.zip ( 40.22K )Number of downloads: 3

Hope that helps

Attached File(s)
Attached File  TimerComparisonTests_v1.6.zip ( 954.16K )Number of downloads: 3

--------------------
Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
Website, email

FrankRuperto
post Nov 20 2019, 07:05 AM
Post#12

Nice work Colin, how were you able to run your sync process unattended as a windows task without requiring users to login?...@SerranoG cant get his to work.

https://www.UtterAccess.com/forum/index.php...2055407&hl=
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Nov 20 2019, 07:42 AM

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.

isladogs
post Nov 20 2019, 08:58 AM
Post#13

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Frank
That's not an issue as long as the host computer is left switched on overnight.
However, there are are 2 particularly important options in task scheduler:
1. General tab – select - Run whether user logged in or not . You can store logon info as part of the task settings
2. Conditions tab – select - Wake the computer to run this task

Attached are 3 zip files:
a) a Word doc I sent to one of my clients back in 2014 going through the task settings in detail.
When Win7 was released scheduled tasks became much more powerful but also more complicated to setup
b) a PDF outlining how the SDALink application works in case that's of interest.
c) the XML for a similar task. I've modified it to run only when user is logged on. This is so I don't need to include any logon info with the XML file I've uploaded
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Running_SDA_Link_in_Task_Scheduler.zip ( 385.53K )Number of downloads: 2
Attached File  Using_SDA_Link.zip ( 1.01MB )Number of downloads: 2
Attached File  SDA_Link_Att_Marks_Updater.zip ( 1.27K )Number of downloads: 3

--------------------
Website, email

FrankRuperto
post Nov 20 2019, 10:55 AM
Post#14

Interesting, so if the user is not logged in and the task scheduler runs your sync process, does the display get redirected to NUL device as if it were running as a background process?

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 20 2019, 10:57 AM
Post#15

UA Admin

I like that very much, thanks, Frank.

I was sure there'd be more sophisticated approaches than mine.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

isladogs
post Nov 20 2019, 11:48 AM
Post#16

UtterAccess VIP

Frank
In answer to your question, a valid user login and password combination would need to be entered in the scheduler as part of the task settings.
Or of course the user can stay logged in. Either way the monitor can of course be switched off overnight.
The system has been deployed in well over 100 UK schools during the past 15 years or more.
It is recommended to the client schools that the workstations used for this purpose are in a room kept locked at night so there is no data security risk

--------------------
Website, email

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    10th December 2019 - 01:18 PM