UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Advanced Access Resources?    

MadPiet
post Jul 13 2019, 08:36 PM
Post#1

Since ADH is dead and gone, what do you all read when you get stuck on a complex problem? Access Bible? Except ADH has zero beginner stuff in it.
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Jul 14 2019, 05:47 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

These days I tend to rely in internet resources, rather than books.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

DanielPineault
post Jul 14 2019, 06:00 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

Internet.

Lots of searching and forums (https://www.UtterAccess.com, https://www.experts-exchange.com/)

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

nvogel
post Jul 14 2019, 02:15 PM
Post#4

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/ms-access

tina t
post Jul 14 2019, 02:20 PM
Post#5

lol. Piet, i come here and ask folks like you for help! where you all go when you're stumped, i can't begin to think about... ;) tina

--------------------
"the wheel never stops turning"

nvogel
post Jul 14 2019, 02:22 PM
Post#6

By the way, what is ADH?

isladogs
post Jul 14 2019, 02:54 PM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

ADH = Access Developers Handbook.
IMO still the best ever set of Access books despite their age

--------------------

MadPiet
post Jul 14 2019, 03:06 PM
Post#8

I have to figure out how to make the 32-bit windows calls work on 64-bit windows, or is that not possible?
Like BrowsefolderAPI, OpenSaveFileAPI (I think there's a native/internal Access one for that).

MadPiet
post Jul 14 2019, 03:08 PM
Post#9

Oh, bummer, because I was going to ask folks here about the Word object model and how to drop a table on top of boilerplate text. In other words, just replace said boilerplate with the table. Am I out of luck?

isladogs
post Jul 14 2019, 03:09 PM
Post#10

UtterAccess VIP

Re post #8
Why bother? You can use other code that doesn't require API calls such as FileDialog.

--------------------

ADezii
post Jul 14 2019, 03:37 PM
Post#11

IMO still the best ever set of Access books despite their age

@isladogs:
I wholeheartedly agree!

ADezii
post Jul 14 2019, 03:41 PM
Post#12

I have to figure out how to make the 32-bit windows calls work on 64-bit windows, or is that not possible?

Here is what I use on a regular basis.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  64_Bit_API_Declarations_With_PrtSafe.zip ( 317.9K )Number of downloads: 3

jleach
post Jul 14 2019, 08:31 PM
Post#13

UtterAccess Editor

>> I have to figure out how to make the 32-bit windows calls work on 64-bit windows, or is that not possible?
Like BrowsefolderAPI, OpenSaveFileAPI (I think there's a native/internal Access one for that). <<

It's possible. Convert the windows pointer types to LngPtr, add PtrSafe to the declarations (use compiler directives if needed for pre-VBA7 support). In an nutshell, that's it (although it takes a bit of verification legwork to make sure you've got the correct pointer conversions)

I know Luke Chung at FMS has done some presentations on this (and probably has something on his site), and Ben Clothier with accessexperts.com might have written on the subject also. If I have myself, I don't recall (I've answered a lot of questions on the topic, but don't recall if I ever wrote an article on it - maybe something in the 2016 Professional Access Programming book from Wrox? I wrote the API chapter but don't remember if it had this covered, I'd have to check)

>> Oh, bummer, because I was going to ask folks here about the Word object model and how to drop a table on top of boilerplate text. In other words, just replace said boilerplate with the table. Am I out of luck? <<

Again off the cuff, but if you can pinpoint the start/stop of the boilerplate text you want (either via markers, or text-match, or known template position), you can programmatically select and remove/replace content. I wouldn't imagine it'd be terribly difficult to add a table, but I don't know my way around Word OM quite well enough to give anything specific on it offhand.

--------------------

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th August 2019 - 01:23 PM