UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Suggestions: Mouse Drag To Hi-lite Grid For A Schedule, Access 2010    

slacka
post Aug 16 2019, 03:22 PM
Post#1

Hi,
I'm making some scheduling software.
On my 1day view, I would like a grid, each line representing the hours scheduled for an employee.

Grid with hour header and then 15 minute segments:
7AM 8AM 9AM 10AM etc.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| <---each segment representing 15mins.
see attachment

Then i'd like to be able to mouse click and drag to highlite each segment's background color to "draw" the shift range.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I'm a self taught access dev, so i don't know all the best ways to go about these things. I started with just an hour grid (with 1hour segments) for 25 employees, and using textbox controls for each segment, and i got some "drag and draw" functionality working as desired, but when i went expand to 15 minute segments, i found out there is a limit of like just over 700 controls per form. =(
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So just now i decided to try and maybe do this with an unbound object frame of an excel spreadsheet. (i have no experience doing this with anything but a static view of excel). I'm sure i can reimplement the drag/draw code in excel to get the same effect, but is that possible with an embedded excel file? and if so, can yall give me any tips?
or suggest a better solution for what i'm trying to do?

thanks a bunch.
m
This post has been edited by slacka: Aug 16 2019, 03:47 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  HOUR_SEGMENTS_TEXTCONTROLS.png ( 29.51K )Number of downloads: 31
Attached File  FAILED_15MINSEGMENTS.png ( 57.72K )Number of downloads: 31
Attached File  EMBEDDED_EXCEL.png ( 80.34K )Number of downloads: 33

Go to the top of the page

dale.fye
post Aug 16 2019, 04:41 PM
Post#2

You can have over 250 columns (I think the exact number is 255) in a query, so you might consider creating a query that generates a separate record for each 15 minute time interval, then make a crosstab query from this, max of 96 columns for 24 hours, plus the name column I assume is on the left of each of these, followed by a form (probably a continuous form, but a datasheet might work as well).

The real challenge will be selecting a continuous set of these columns and acting on the selection. You will not be able to click and drag across multiple time segments, instead, you will have to use shift-click and ctrl-click to select more than one column associated with a particular row.

You might want to look at my article about using shortcut menus in a runtime environment and specifically look at the section on working with data sheets to get some ideas on how to accomplish this. It starts out with using the Form_MouseUp event to determine a couple of values and then pass that information to another function. In my sample, I use the row and column counts to determine what shortcut menu to display, but you could use that info to popup another data entry form to enter the info that would be included in those time periods.

--------------------
Dale Fye
Microsoft Access MVP 2013-2016
Developing Solutions, LLC

slacka
post Aug 16 2019, 05:24 PM
Post#3

Thanks for the suggestion.
I just had lunch and think i might make a subform for each row and try and use my current code. we'll see how it goes.

Peter Hibbs
post Aug 17 2019, 01:47 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Slacka,

I think this Holiday Planner V2 probably does what you want.

Peter Hibbs.

jleach
post Aug 17 2019, 05:15 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess Editor

I will quite happily endorse Peter's tool: his work is top-notch and I've "borrowed" many times in the past.

--------------------

Mickjav
post Aug 26 2019, 11:34 AM
Post#6

I will quite happily endorse Peter's tool: his work is top-notch and I've "borrowed" many times in the past.

Same Here Holiday planner, Guantt Chart and his amazing calendar

--------------------
All open code examples and free projects are only available from: Database Dreams

slacka
post Sep 2 2019, 11:21 PM
Post#7

I don't need a 24 hour scheduler. Anyways, i am accomplishing what i desire. Not unlike the usual, the program has forced me to use a better design haha. I'm accomplishing what i had before, I'll share some screenshots when i'm done.

Peter Hibbs
post Sep 3 2019, 03:13 AM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

Hi slacka,

OK, good to know you have got your database working and we would be interested to see some screen shots when you have them.

Good luck with the project.

Peter Hibbs.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th September 2019 - 01:57 AM