UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Update Record From 1 Table To Another, Access 2003    

PALum
post Nov 10 2019, 10:38 AM
Post#1

Hi, I have a record in table A that i want updated with the contents of a record in table B. The records in tables A and B have exactly the same layout. I feel there should be an easier way of doing this rather than using SET fieldA = FieldB for each field in the record in Table A?

Many thanks
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 10 2019, 11:01 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

An update query is probably the most effective, most efficient way to update records in a table in a Relational Database Application, like Access is.

However, that begs the question as to WHY this would need to be done in the first place.

It's not typical in a Relational Database Application to have two tables with exactly the same layout. And here, it sounds like the task is actually duplicating records in the tables. Usually that kind of procedure turns up in an inappropriately designed set of tables, and presents a lot of challenges beyond the immediate problem of synchronization.

So, I'd like to urge a bit of thought and review before you go much further.

Why would you need two identical tables?
This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: Nov 10 2019, 11:02 AM

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

projecttoday
post Nov 10 2019, 12:07 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

Copy objects.

I also question the need to copy data. Is it a one-time thing?

--------------------
Robert Crouser

Jeff B.
post Nov 10 2019, 01:00 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

I'll jump in too … two identical tables will, as George points out, beg the question of which table has the correct data. If you were limited to using a spreadsheet, I can easily envision copying data from one sheet to another to show a change in status. That is neither necessary nor good use of a relational database like Access.

--------------------
Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP (2002-2015)

Mention of hardware or software is, in no way, an endorsement thereof. The FTC of the USA made this disclaimer necessary/possible.

PALum
post Nov 10 2019, 05:55 PM
Post#5

Hi,
The duplicate record is moved to a temporary table where users can play with various values/parameters until the required results are found. These values are then recorded by copying back to the record in the main table.

projecttoday
post Nov 10 2019, 06:11 PM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

Okay. Are you just trying to avoid one multi-field UPDATE statement?

--------------------
Robert Crouser

PALum
post Nov 11 2019, 05:21 PM
Post#7

Basically Yes! The main table records are rather big and its easy to miss a field. I can't just delete the main record while the copy is in the Temp Table as the main record needs to be available for enquiry and it will orphan the child records. Plus the changes in the temp table may not be used. I've inherited this DB so if i was designing it from scratch i would probably have done this in a better way. I have found a solution using a query:

UPDATE TableA INNER JOIN TableBTemp ON TableA.Keyfield = TableBTemp.Keyfield SET TableA.Field1 = [TableBTemp].[Field1], TableA.Field2 = [TableBTemp].[Field2] etc, etc...

It still means having a list of fields but its easier to follow in a query Design View.

projecttoday
post Nov 11 2019, 06:39 PM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

If you have a table called "TableA" then it might very well be a bad table design. But I have worked with a form bound to a temporary table, needing update for permanence. This was so the data won't be saved immediately upon entry.

I think you must specify the fields individually in UPDATE. You might get help from the designer, but the fields have to be specified.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    6th December 2019 - 08:15 PM