UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V  1 2 >  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Barcode Reader    

Alan_G
post Aug 25 2007, 04:46 PM
Post#1

Remembered as Utterly Yorkshire and Forum/Wiki Editor

Hi
ollowing on from this thread , I've now had the barcode reader delivered (the one shown on the EBay link on the original thread) and have spent the last four hours trying to make it work crazy.gif
I've installed the Code39 font and printed out a few test strings (eg *test*, test, *TEST*, TEST, *1234*, 1234) using that font. The barcode reader is installed via USB (PS2 to USB adaptor supplied with reader) and is recognised by XP. Control panel tells me the device is working normally, and in Keyboards (Control Panel) it's listed correctly as HID Input Device.
Leaving all settings (and there's plenty of them!!) as factory defaults, when scanning a barcode the reader beeps to say it's scanned the barcode successfully, but no text appears in an unbound textbox on an unbound form - nor does it when trying it at the cursor position in Word either. I've plugged a spare keyboard into the PS2 - USB adaptor and typing with that works fine in Access and Word, so it seems that the install on the PC is fine. None of the above test strings produce on screen text even though the reader beeps OK.
I've also tried the same thing using Code128 font, with the same result. I've changed settings (that make sense to me anyway) on the scanner with no avail (reset back to factory default after every set of changes to start again) and am getting to the stage where it's going for a trip through the nearest window.........anyone got any ideas?
Go to the top of the page

Aquadevel
post Aug 25 2007, 05:55 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Alan,
Have you taken a look at Tony's site? Using barcodes in an application
I've yet to try a barcode app.
Good luck, sad.gif

Alan_G
post Aug 25 2007, 06:12 PM
Post#3

Hi Aqua
Thanks, but already read all of that - along with lots of others LOL
I think it's more to do with the settings for the scanner, but there are loads of them to play with (particularly when you don't know what you're doing!!) and the User Manual that came with it is worse than useless......just lots and lots of bar codes to scan which alters settings, but no explanation of what you're actually altering (it's been translated from Chinese and the translation leaves alot to be desired to say the least).
I need an idiots guide to follow really, although from everything I've read (and it's been plenty) the factory defaults *should# work - but definitely in my case they don't <hmmph>

tunkefer
post Aug 25 2007, 07:23 PM
Post#4

Don't know what make/model of scanner you have but it may have a setting to buffer or transmit scans. Ie., to either store the scanned data in the reader itself for later transmission out the serial port or immediately send the scanned data out the serial port.
'd look for a scanner setting along those lines.

Alan_G
post Aug 25 2007, 07:33 PM
Post#5

Hi
Thanks for the suggestion, but there's no options or settings for buffer or transmit.
If it helps any, the scanner is an Acan FG-8100 that I bought today brand new......................

tunkefer
post Aug 25 2007, 07:41 PM
Post#6

Not familiar with that make.
nother place to look in the scanner set up might be for a transmission protocol. I have seen as many as four options on portable scanners. Some are specialized for optional printers, storage or keypad/display units that connect to the scanner. But one will be for serial protocol.

Alan_G
post Aug 25 2007, 07:52 PM
Post#7

I'm using the USB interface, not serial port..........the lead from the scanner terminates in a serial port connector or a PS2 connector. The PS2 connector is plugged into a PS2 to USB adaptor (supplied with the scanner) and also gets it power via USB..........

tunkefer
post Aug 25 2007, 08:00 PM
Post#8

I assume you set the scanner options on the PC and send them to the scanner via a vendor supplied application? Have you tried doing that yet? Doing that successfully would narrow the field of problem possibilities quite a bit.

Alan_G
post Aug 25 2007, 08:05 PM
Post#9

There's no vendor supplied software - just a somewhat indecipherable 'user manual' that contains lots of barcodes to scan to change the various settings that are then internally stored within the scanner itself........

Aquadevel
post Aug 26 2007, 08:45 AM
Post#10

UtterAccess VIP

Alan,
hope you get it working, I need to find time to look into
barcodes also.
Good luck,

Alan_G
post Aug 26 2007, 03:33 PM
Post#11

Aqua -
till not working. I think I have a faulty barcode reader. Everythin is as it should be PC wise, font wise and scanner settings wise. The scanner beeps when it's passed over a barcode but doesn't print the text onto the screen, but plugging a spare keyboard into the same PS2 to USB adator that the scanners plugged into works fine. I'll let you know when I get it working.......

Aquadevel
post Aug 27 2007, 07:06 AM
Post#12

UtterAccess VIP

Alan,
know you probably searched the 'net already, but if you can tell us the make/model, etc. of the scanner we might find something.
sad.gif

Alan_G
post Aug 27 2007, 07:23 AM
Post#13

Aqua
It's an Acan FG-8100 that I bought on Saturday (brand new). It's cheap and cheerful thing that I wanted to use for my own testing purposes (the actual venue will be investing in a commercial scanner), and yes - I've searched for every keyword I can think of for info on setting it up. I've tried it on a different PC just to make sure it wasn't my development PC that was playing up, and still same result. The scanner beeps to say it's recognised the barcode, but still doesn't output the text onto screen (not just Access, it doesn't output to any app)
It's a Bank Holiday today here in the UK so just about everywhere's closed so I can't get in touch with the company I bought it from. I still reckon it's faulty.......

Alan_G
post Aug 27 2007, 07:27 AM
Post#14

Here's some info? on the scanner (and is also the place I bought it from).........

niesz
post Aug 27 2007, 07:29 AM
Post#15

Utter A-fishin'-ado

It's probably faulty, but did you check the PS2 connector for bent pins?

Alan_G
post Aug 27 2007, 08:43 AM
Post#16

Yep, checked all the connections and pins. It's actually connected via USB. The PS2 connector (output lead of the scanner) plugs into a PS2 to USB convertor (supplied with the unit). There's something faulty somewhere. It isn't the PS2 - USB converter, as if I plug a spare keyboard into it instead of the scanner, I can type merrily away and it works fine. It has to be either the lead from the scanner or the scanner itself I think........

Aquadevel
post Aug 27 2007, 03:26 PM
Post#17

UtterAccess VIP

Alan,
Note that FFFF:0100 probably isn't an officially assigned USB device/vendor ID. Like most barcode readers, the reader is configured via scanning barcodes in the manual. Don't lose the manual as there don't appear to be PDFs to download. Scanning range is about 1"............"
Are you trying it further then 1"? It might beep when further, but not really scan the data.
"The cable itself has an unidentified chip probably a PS/2 to USB converter......."
Above taken from here

Alan_G
post Aug 27 2007, 03:42 PM
Post#18

Hi Aqua
Thanks for looking, but again I'd already read that one, which is about the only one specifically related to the scanner I bought. The scanner is indeed configared from scanning the barcodes in the 'user manual', and yes I'm definitely scanning them at a suitable distance. The settings I make are applied OK (light on/off/twinkel etc etc) as it can be visually verified when changing the lamp settings.
There seems to be a remarkable lack of info on this particular scanner, which should probably teach me a lesson. I've resigned myself to the fact that I just bought a cheap piece of tack, and will go out tomoorow to buy another one from a local PC shop that I know works.........
Thanks again for taking the time to look..........and if you ever want a CCD scanner to play with, I just happen to know where there is one LOL

alexan_e
post Sep 10 2007, 05:05 PM
Post#19

Hi

I have the same barcode reader with usb interface and it works fine if i use the usb port.
when i tried to use it as a PS2/2 keyboard with a usb to ps/2 adapter i found that it doesn't show any characters and i think it's because it is recognized as an HID keyboard (from usb) and this type doesn't work properly with an adapter.
There is nothing wrong with your reader since you say that it recognizes the barcode and beeps, you can check it in a usb port in your computer.
I'm currently trying to use this as a PS/2 reader with an atmel microconroller but i can't do it with the plug converter.
Maybe there is already a ps/2 output if i only find the correct pins.
I will post again if i have results

Alex

alexan_e
post Sep 10 2007, 05:12 PM
Post#20

I found a manual of a similar device in the follong link and the connector in the base of the device is the same 10pin network plus (as mine) but this device has more features than mine

Barcode reader
manual

Alex

2 Pages V  1 2 >

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th October 2019 - 10:18 AM