UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Now You See It, Now You Don't, Access 2016    

Leah
post Jun 27 2019, 07:38 PM
Post#1

Here is the story.

Our old Toad scheduler hardware needs to be retired so I have to move all my schedules to the new server. The version of Toad was 12.6 on the old server and on the new one 12.8 though neither is the latest, I know. Using 12.8, I have found that some files saved to Excel xls (only Excel choice) act strangely when you link to Access. The file looks perfectly fine in Excel. However if you look at the Excel table from Access, some number fields for some rows look like they are null, however if you click in the field then the number is viable. If you then try to append the rows to a table in Access, the numbers come in as null and that is the real problem.

In addition sometimes these Excel files cannot even be linked, you get an error message, however they open perfectly fine in Excel.

As these are set up to automatically link and append, I don't want to have to open Excel and re-save.

I think it may have something to do with note fields from the Oracle database. When I got rid of every last one of them then the numbers came through just fine. The notes have the data type short text in Excel, however who knows what characters they might contain. Strange that an older version handled it just fine. Is there a function I could use in Toad maybe that would clean up the field maybe or something else I could do, as the notes are rather useful to have. The notes are not that long by the way, but some apparently have returns. Even ones that do not seem to have issues.

Has anyone experienced such a thing and know what to do about it?

Thanks

Leah

--------------------
Leah A. Kopel
Go to the top of the page

Leah
post Jun 28 2019, 09:34 AM
Post#2

I needed to sleep on it, I guess. I figured I would try one more thing. I moved all my note columns to bottom off the Select so that the notes would be on the right of all the other columns in Access. The numbers are not doing the disappearing act any more and I still have all my notes in one convenient file.

Leah

--------------------
Leah A. Kopel
Go to the top of the page

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    21st August 2019 - 02:48 AM