UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Windows Sharepoint linked table vs. table in MS Access 2003    

sandyelliott
post May 11 2005, 10:00 AM
Post#1

Currently I have a Windows Sharepoint website up and linked to tables in my Access 2003 database. Link works great but can I link the original Access table to the linked table within Access?
Go to the top of the page

richm59
post May 11 2005, 12:50 PM
Post#2

I have no idea, but why don't you just try to create a Query with a join in the Access query designer, and see if it works for selects, updates, etc. You could also try to create a relationship in the table view.
Please let us know the results!
Also, I am curious: what is the original source of your sharepoint data (?Access, Oracle, Excel, MS-SS)?
Could you tell us a bit about your Sharepoint installation - what do you use it for? It's all a bit of a mystery to me.
Rich

sandyelliott
post May 12 2005, 09:36 AM
Post#3

I will try the Query, thank you. WSS is a fantastic tool for collaboration. I work in the Agriculture business and have worked more with Websites than with Access..thus the access questions. I have been using Sharepoint now for 3 years and it keeps getting better. Did a sharepoint website for my church @ www.plainscc.org you can check it out. Sharepoint uses a SQL database behind and is installed on Win 2003 server. With Windows Sharepoint installed on the server you can create webs that interact with databases on your client and keep updated automatically. I'll let you know more, I'm still pretty green but digging in hard on a project right now.
Thanks again.

richm59
post May 12 2005, 01:46 PM
Post#4

Thanks for your brief explanation, and your link. When you have some time, it would be great if you could tell us some more about your website, how it links to SharePoint, and how Access fits into the picture.
You might be the lone SharePoint expert around these parts, so I'm very interested in what you have to say.
And BTW, Welcome to UtterAccess!
Rich

GregNTulsa
post Jun 1 2005, 12:39 PM
Post#5

sandyelliott,
looked at your church website. I really like it.
When you get a MS Access db connected to your sharepoint site, could you let us see how it works? Is it going to be on the Church site?
I am just now investigating the possibilities of Sharepoint.
I believe my company uses Oracle, but I havent heard any mention of using Oracle as the back-end database and using Sharepoint as the Front end yet.
Any news of your progress would be great to hear.
Thanks,
Greg

TrucMi05
post Sep 30 2005, 08:06 AM
Post#6

With Access 2003 you can link your Access database to a Windows Sharepoint site, it is still limited in function to what you can really do but one of the advantages that I see is you can use Access to generate reports, query data, etc for a large contents Windows Sharepoint Site, WSS do not have a reporting tool thats where Access fit in nicely, imagine that you have a large list of contacts thousands, and need to send out a letter to a selected group of contacts with Access its a piece of cake. Hopefully the next release of Access there will be more options you can do in Access linked to a WSS site.
You can try it if you have a Windows 2003 Server, intall the Windows Sharepoint search for it on MS site to see the instruction on how to set it up, very straight forward, the only tricky part is the security settings to secure your site with a little reading using the help provided you will have it up in no time. Once you have your WSS master site setup, you can create a new Database using Access 2003, create a link and select Windows Sharepoint, there you will see all the objects that you can link to, now you can edit/add the data either from your WSS site or from Access. Can't be any easier than that. Sweet! My company WSS team still not aware of what power Access can offer since they are solely on WSS and nothing else, after seeing some of the reports/queries I setup for them to quickly get the data they seem to amaze that Access can do that, now they respect Access more than before.
Last note, if you don't have a Server to host WSS or don't want to setup WSS yourself, you can find some cheap WSS hosting out there, where everything already setup for you just fill in the blank about your site and you have the site up in no time.
Good luck! I hope this WSS forum will be more active so we can learn more from this new wonderful option.

tweetywill
post Nov 29 2005, 04:22 PM
Post#7

I have linked my Access front-end to a Sharepoint list, and everything works, but it is SLOW! When I do it between computers on our local net it works like a charm, but as soon as I try to connect to the remote server response times to any action suddenly stretch out to between 4 and 10 minutes! It seems like the front-end is downloading the entire dataset each time data is changed or updated.
My Access DB is rather large, the front-end is over 3MB alone and the back-end is over 5MB with over 15k records. Is the size and complexity of my data the reason for the slowdown? Is there some trick to linking to Sharepoint lists that I am missing?

richm59
post Dec 1 2005, 06:42 PM
Post#8

Actually, I would say your Access front end (3MB) and database (15K rows) are quite small. You should be getting sub-second response times, unless you routinly load up all 15,000 records. I would say there is a very serious problem on the server. Can you access the server some other way (web page etc) to see the server's response time?
aveat: I know Nothing about SharePoint.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    13th December 2019 - 02:29 AM