UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intergrating A Pos Style Into Database, Access 2010    

Pcasystems
post Apr 2 2019, 05:52 AM
Post#1

Hello,

I have an access 2010 database that employees can search for repair parts and equipment. As it stands right now, after the employees search for what they need they click a button and it brings them to the Item Details form which then they can issue the item from that screen. What I am looking to do is to incorporate barcoding into the database (similiar to a retail POS system). Now right here is where I hit my mental roadblock, What do you guys think the best approach would be? Should I create an invoice table and order table? Should I create a form with 5 or so unbound textboxes and write them to a table after confirmation? I understand each scenario is unique, but I would like your opinions if you wouldn't mind. One of the things I do need is if the same barcode is scanned twice it would increase the quantity by 1 instead of creating a new field.

Thank you in advance
Go to the top of the page

Minty
post Apr 2 2019, 06:32 AM
Post#2

You can query the existing records in the order to check for the scanned part number.
If it exists then add one the order or picked qty, if not add a new line.

The easy route is to scan the code into an unbound control in the form header or footer, and then process accordingly.

GroverParkGeorge
post Apr 2 2019, 06:45 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

Why do you need the Order and Item tables? What will they allow you to do that you can't do now? Why would adding the ability to scan barcodes also require the new tables?

You ask if you should add them (and I'd probably want both an Order and and Order Details table, and an Invoice and Invoice Details table, but that's a further discussion), but we don't know the business reason for asking that.

As noted, you can scan the barcodes and have the value put into an unbound control on a form, and from there process that item as appropriate--probably using the existing process as the basis for that. But you mention up to 5 such controls. Why five?

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

Pcasystems
post Apr 2 2019, 07:32 AM
Post#4

Thank you for your replies Minty and George.

George,

The main reason I was suggesting adding the order and invoice tables was because after the user logs on they will be taken to a form that will have an unbound control in the header used to add a specific part into a shopping cart style subform by scanning the barcode for the item. The invoice table would be linked to each employees order and the order table would be for the employees specific order. That way, I thought it would make it easier to reference users past orders.

Right now, I only have a transaction table which logs the employee user name, part number, description, quantity, timestamp of each item taken. Each employee has to manually search for each item individually via a search box, then confirm quantity and submit for each item taken. This tends to be quite time consuming for them, so instead they just take the items they need and don't issue/log it out through the database creating inaccurate inventory counts and stock outs. My goal is to basically have the users log in, scan all the items they need and quantities, click a button and have everything recorded with as little input from the user as possible. This would also help when receiving inventory in as well.

The 5 controls was only more a brainstorming thing instead of adding both tables I figured I could then intergrate that aspect into the transaction table and basically the user would be able to scan up to 5 separate items before having to walk back to the computer and hit the submit button and opening a new form.

GroverParkGeorge
post Apr 2 2019, 08:29 AM
Post#5

UA Admin

Okay, so the barcode issue is not directly dependent on the additional tables--and vice versa. Both are enhancements that need to be made independently.

Given that, yes, your plan makes sense to me.

Search our archives and forums for previous posts on using barcodes. It's not all that common, but common enough to have accrued some good methods which have been discussed here before.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

Pcasystems
post Apr 2 2019, 04:01 PM
Post#6

Thanks George. I will start digging through the archives later this week. I just found out today that My time has been put on hold for this project for the most part due to department budget cuts so this will have to be on my own weekends to do this.

And minty I did add your post in my notes when I eventually do make it that far.

Thank you both I will update again when time allows.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    11th November 2019 - 11:07 PM