UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Real-world Sharepoint With Ms Access As Fe, SharePoint 2013    

ChiliDog
post Oct 16 2018, 06:40 PM
Post#1

Just wondering if anyone is using MS Access FE with SP backend in a complex data tool situation ? We have some client DBs with a lot of tables, a lot of periodic (monthly) data including historical data. Typically we use a FE on each user's desktop, and a common BE stored on a network drive for example. So it's a multiuser app...

I've heard of SP being used with Access...My head has been spinning the last few days trying to understand where the technology sits today - I understand Access Web Apps was recently deprecated, and it looks like MS is pushing SP + PowerApps now...

Right now I'm experimenting with an Office365 Developer subscription - uploading the BE to SP via Access Sharepoint Export feature - NOT FAST! - and then I intend to relink my FE to SP and fire her up, see if the response time is at all decent. Call me optimistic. smile.gif

Anyway, as I wait for the upload to finish, seemed like a good time to ask if anyone is doing similar in real life. Besides response time, I'm concerned about SP list rowcount limits, as well as overall table count limits, that kind of thing.

Thanks for any input.

Go to the top of the page

WildBird
post Oct 16 2018, 06:51 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

I had an Access front end, and looked at sharepoint lists. Didnt go ahead with it, ended up with Access backend across a statewide application. Wanted SQL backend, but had literally a few days to get something up and running from scratch and had no way of getting SQL Server (usual corporate scenario). Just too many limitations/issues with sharepoint I found.

--------------------
Beer, natures brain defragging tool.

RobKoelmans
post Oct 17 2018, 03:57 AM
Post#3

Hi,
Using SharePoint Lists as data tables is not working very well. You can include SP List items and Document List items in your database applications if you need that for any reason. If you can't have any SQL database on premises, consider Azure-SQL. Otherwise BackEnd mdb/accdb.
Kind regards,
Rob

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 17 2018, 06:24 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

There is one potential advantage to using SP lists as tables--the ability to work off-line and have SP synch changes between local cached data and the SP lists when you go back on-line.

I haven't dealt with larger SP lists for some time, but the last time I did, we found that lists exceeding 25,000 or so records began to experience performance problems. My understanding is that newer versions of SP handle more, maybe up to 50 or 60 thousand. However, this is, potentially, a deal breaker for a significant database.
This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: Oct 17 2018, 06:29 AM

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

ChiliDog
post Oct 17 2018, 12:22 PM
Post#5

Thanks for the replies. I've finished uploading and have connected the frontend there are some signs of life as far as screen responsiveness being better than expected. OTOH, some screens are not displaying data at all which is of course a dealbreaker. I also had to pare down some of the tables (they have years' worth of data) to get them to upload to SP.

I guess I would say, instead of an outright "this doesn't work at all", maybe "this may be worth looking into further", but of course who has the time.

I am using the free one-year Office365 Developer subscription. I thought I read somewhere that SharePoint Lists in this version are stored in Azure SQL ?

So just thought I would post this for discussion/observations... although I'm not sure whether I'll continue looking into it.

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 17 2018, 12:43 PM
Post#6

UA Admin

"...SharePoint Lists in this version are stored in Azure SQL..."

That's not the case. It WAS true of the now-deprecated Access Web Apps, which ran on O365.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

RobKoelmans
post Oct 17 2018, 02:45 PM
Post#7

It's not clear to me why you're considering SP as data BackEnd. Why not SQL-Server?
Rob

ChiliDog
post Oct 19 2018, 11:58 AM
Post#8

It has been asked about several times by higher-ups so trying to determine whether it is viable.

blueman2
post Oct 21 2018, 11:28 AM
Post#9

I have been using sharepoint lists as the BE for that for the better part of 5 years and up til now, it's been just fine.

However our database is growing, there are a couple of tables with 2-5,000 records. I'm not sure if the number referenced (25,000) refers to a particular individual list or total records in all the tables. The issues I'm having now I will add a link to when I post it, but overall, it works just fine.And it may not be related to sharepoint.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th October 2019 - 06:45 PM