UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
 
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sharepoint Column Forcing Auto Generated Numeric Values, SharePoint 2013    
 
   
blueman2
post Jan 19 2019, 03:40 PM
Post#1



Posts: 228
Joined: 15-November 14



I'm trying to add a new text column (PO) to a table/List. I went through the standard procedure on SharePoint that I've done before. You can see the selections here for the new column

Attached File  Image_001.jpg ( 154.44K )Number of downloads: 3


Nothing out of the ordinary was selected. Here's a look at the datasheet in SharePoint

Attached File  Image_002.jpg ( 112.63K )Number of downloads: 2



After deleting the linked table in the FE Database and re-linking (which we did a number of times) we are still seeing number values in the PO text field.

Attached File  Image_003.jpg ( 159.49K )Number of downloads: 2


When I look in design view, I'm seeing that Access wants to make this a primary field and that's why the numbers are going in there but there's nothing out of the ordinary in the sharepoint list settings that seems to be saying to do that. I did not show the lookup tab here, but there is nothing in there.

Attached File  Image_004.jpg ( 243.45K )Number of downloads: 2


Any ideas on why this might be happening? I've also deleted the column on SharePoint and then re-added it the same way with the same results?


Thanks

Go to the top of the page
 
GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 19 2019, 04:40 PM
Post#2


UA Admin
Posts: 35,841
Joined: 20-June 02
From: Newcastle, WA


That's truly unexpected. However, one small correcton. Access shows it as "Primary KEY" field, not as a "Primary Field". That, by itself, shouldn't be forcing automatically incrementing values into the Short Text field, though. I winder if there's a problem with aliasing of the field name(s) and that you're somehow seeing a different field.

Could you create a new, blank SharePoint list with a field defined exactly the same way and link to it from Access? Does that result in the same problem?
This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: Jan 19 2019, 05:08 PM

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server
Go to the top of the page
 
blueman2
post Jan 19 2019, 05:29 PM
Post#3



Posts: 228
Joined: 15-November 14



Yes "Key" was just an omission.

I created a new test list with the same column and there were no issues with that one. But as I did that, I recalled that it's possible that the List that I was referencing before was created as an access table and then uploaded to SharePoint. The original table was deleted in Access and I created a link to the list on SharePoint. This all maybe be a factor. However, that list was not created with a Primary Key Field and has been operating as such without a problem in Access for the last month or two. Adding the column in SharePoint was the first I noticed any odd behavior.
Go to the top of the page
 
GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 19 2019, 05:42 PM
Post#4


UA Admin
Posts: 35,841
Joined: 20-June 02
From: Newcastle, WA


Perhaps there's something about the link in the Access accdb that's not "clean".

Try creating a new accdb and import everything but that one table (linked list). Then link to it directly. Does that clear up the problem?

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server
Go to the top of the page
 
blueman2
post Jan 19 2019, 06:04 PM
Post#5



Posts: 228
Joined: 15-November 14



All lists are linked

And the more I'm thinking about this the more I'm thinking that somehow this is happening because this list originated much later in the database and because it was created in Access and then uploaded to SharePoint. And what do you think about downloading this list so that it becomes a local table again and then adding a new field to the table in Access and then deleting the SharePoint list and and we uploading bed table to SharePoint with the new fuel added usually I? Then I would delete the local table or rename and relink to the new SharePoint list
This post has been edited by blueman2: Jan 19 2019, 06:20 PM
Go to the top of the page
 
GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 19 2019, 06:50 PM
Post#6


UA Admin
Posts: 35,841
Joined: 20-June 02
From: Newcastle, WA


I can't say what would work or not work because the underlying problem is not obvious.

But one way to try your idea is to create a backup copy of the accdb and try it in that backup.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server
Go to the top of the page
 
blueman2
post Jan 20 2019, 11:38 AM
Post#7



Posts: 228
Joined: 15-November 14



FYI

I have no idea what caused this, but was able to workaround by:

Creating a template on sharepoint from that list.
Then renaming the original list.
Then creating a new list with the same name as the original from the template.
I deleted the link in Access and re-linked to the new list.
The column now shows as a separate text column with no numeric entries.

Go to the top of the page
 


Custom Search


RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    14th October 2019 - 12:43 AM