UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Application Startup With Progress Bar, Access 2016    

SemiAuto40
post Oct 9 2019, 09:17 AM
Post#1

I would like to add a progress bar to what currently is a 15 second startup. The startup does not have defined times like loading a table and checking a variable to know when the last record of the last data set on the form has finished loading. I could start a timer of sorts I guess and set it to an approximate 15 seconds. I just don't want to add to the application launch time by any noticeable amount by adding more code to make the progress bar. The frm_Methods has a RecordSource SQL like statement and there is a tabctl_Page which has a subfrm_Methods_Number. I'm still working on why it takes 15 seconds to load and display this content.

Thanks for any help.
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Oct 9 2019, 10:20 AM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi. Most progress bars need to know the total number of items to process and then tracks each item through the process to update the progress bar.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 9 2019, 11:04 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

You could create a pseudo progress bar by using a timer event, but may not be as effective as just displaying (and possibly varying) an alert message that says something like "Loading. Please wait...." followed by "Still loading. Keep waiting..." and so on.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

isladogs
post Oct 9 2019, 11:16 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

By chance I created a progress bar which is based on a timer for demo purposes.
See http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.UK/progress-bar/4594424316

Like any progress bar, it will add a small amount to the loading time.
However, if I were you, I would look to reducing that time significantly by only loading what is necessary at the start.

--------------------

DanielPineault
post Oct 9 2019, 11:23 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

You could fake a progress bar.

You could open the form unbound, display a progress bar and then bind the form.

What do you have going on behind the form's load/open events (subforms as well)?
Do you have a persistent connection created at your application startup?

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

ADezii
post Oct 9 2019, 11:47 AM
Post#6

If you are looking for the absolute simplest, 15 second Progress Bar, then you may want to consider this one. Obviously, this does nothing to address your excessive startup time.
This post has been edited by ADezii: Oct 9 2019, 11:48 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Progress_Bar_Simple.zip ( 23.92K )Number of downloads: 9

SemiAuto40
post Oct 9 2019, 02:09 PM
Post#7

I do have a subform on a tab on the frm_Methods which is the main form. Just prior to the frm_Methods loading I open a very small frm_Persistent as hidden which is based on a small linked table. Whichever approach to the progress bar it has to run concurrently with the load process of course.

SemiAuto40
post Oct 11 2019, 11:56 AM
Post#8

Thank you for that example. What I would like to do is use an image which looks great with gradient look. The plan is to expand the width as the label control does. For some unknown reason inside my Form_Timer my lbl_Progress.Width works - but my img_Progress.Width does not. I get a "variable not defined" error. Now this is interesting! pullhair.gif

If I use the same "Me.img_Progress.width" like I did the "Me.lbl_Progress" and it works in the Form_Open event... why not here. I get a "Method or Data member not found".

This isn't funny Access.

NEVER MIND! I was missing one "r" in one of the 2 "Progress".
This post has been edited by SemiAuto40: Oct 11 2019, 12:05 PM

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    18th October 2019 - 04:56 PM