UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Visual Studio 2019    

Raas
post Oct 7 2019, 05:32 PM
Post#1

I'm not sure where to ask this question, so here it is anyway:
I have just installed Visual Studio 2019 and attempt to connect to an Access .accdb database (2019). I get an error of datatype not recognized. If I attempt to connect to one of my archived .mdb databases, it will do so no problem. Seems funny that MS wouldn't even recognize it's own database.

If anyone has an answer/suggestion I'm willing to listen. Otherwise can someone give me a URL to a real support site for Visual Studio. The VS forum is a total waste of time. I've posted there, as have several others with the same problem, and we just get ignored. A live chat to someone would help greatly.
Thanks
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 7 2019, 05:44 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

Just to be clear, how did you go about making the connection.

I have VS 2017 installed. I can connect to accdbs using the Microsoft Access Database File (OLE DB) provider (Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0). Is that what you are using?
This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: Oct 7 2019, 05:45 PM

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 7 2019, 05:46 PM
Post#3

UA Admin

I forgot to ask if you were able to connect correctly in a prior version of VS.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
Beginning SQL Server

Raas
post Oct 7 2019, 06:03 PM
Post#4

Didn't try with a prior version. My only connection previously was to MS SQL Server and Oracle.
I used the only database connectivity that will show in VS 2019 in the connection wizard. It's in the Choose Data Source dialog box. I can only select one source for Access. The only Data source available is OLE DB.

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 7 2019, 06:11 PM
Post#5

UA Admin

I will ask someone. However, I wonder if you can get to this dialog in VS 2019.

Attached File  VSProvider.PNG ( 18.92K )Number of downloads: 7

Note that the only option offered prior to creating the connection simply refers to "Access", but once you have it, you can choose "Advanced" and select either JET or ACE. JET does work with mdbs, ACE with accdbs. It may be the default is to JET?

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

Raas
post Oct 7 2019, 06:16 PM
Post#6

I try that but the only Source > Provider that is accessible is Microsoft Jet.OLEDB.4.0.

Raas
post Oct 7 2019, 06:19 PM
Post#7

Hmm. I just went past the Advanced and now there are lots of Jet OLEDB connections. Are you possibly suggesting I use ACE, because I can't find anything but Jet.

Raas
post Oct 7 2019, 06:22 PM
Post#8

I wonder if your friend would know if it's something I missed in the installation. If so, I would uninstall and re-install, or at least maybe find where to install just the ACE provider. Also, is it possible that VS 2019, being only 32 bit, is not compatible with Access 2019 64 bit? I hope not.

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 7 2019, 06:22 PM
Post#9

UA Admin

That would be a problem, yes.

I really hope MS didn't do this. If there is no ACE provider in VS 2019, we have a major problem, IMO. I'm waiting on a response

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 7 2019, 06:29 PM
Post#10

UA Admin

I asked the Access MVP group. One of them should have experience.

But I wonder if the ACE provider is installed on your machine. Do you have Office installed?

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

Raas
post Oct 7 2019, 06:32 PM
Post#11

Yes. I have the permanent version, not subscription 365. I have the full Office 2019 installed.

AlbertKallal
post Oct 7 2019, 09:02 PM
Post#12

UtterAccess VIP

VS does not install the ACE provider (and it never did)

You should see the choice for ACE,and you HAVE to use ACE if you going to connect to a accDB file. (JET is limited to using mdb files).

The ACE provider "should" exist if you have any recent version of Access installed. So, you could install say the free runtime for 2013 or even 2016, and once done, then the dialog George screen capped should give you the ACE option.

As a general note, you could (should) also set + force your project to x86 since the version of ACE installed is going to be ONLY x32.

I seen some posts that suggest installing the CTR (click to run) versions of Access don't always install the references to ACE correctly.

If you have any recent version of Access (say 2010 to 2016) installed, then you could exit VS, and from the control panel (programs and features) right click on the office/access install and do a repair.

So having ACE, or missing ACE is not the fault of VS but that of you having a working (and more important registered) copy of ACE installed.

Regards,
Albert D. Kallal

Raas
post Oct 7 2019, 09:55 PM
Post#13

As mentioned in my posts above. I have the absolute latest version of Office and Access 2019 installed. Access runs fine, so I guess I have ACE installed somewhere. Don't know where, or how to get it available to Visual Studio.

If I create an Access project in 32 bit just to be able to use in VS later, then I can't run them in Access 64 bit. I get a runtime error that says the project was created in 32 bit and I can't run them in 64 bit.

So, since it seems that I have ACE loaded somewhere in order to run Access .accdb databases, could one of you point me to where I need to go in order to make it available to my VS?

Appreciate it very much!

Raas
post Oct 7 2019, 09:57 PM
Post#14

If you have any recent version of Access (say 2010 to 2016) installed

I only have Access 2019.

Phil_cattivocara...
post Oct 7 2019, 11:34 PM
Post#15

QUOTE (Reena)
if it's something I missed in the installation
I think you need Microsoft Access Database Engine (not runtime)
Sorry but now I cannot find you any link to download it, please try by yourself or wait for another user, or read this: Visual Studio Connection To Access Database #5
This post has been edited by Phil_cattivocarattere: Oct 7 2019, 11:37 PM

--------------------
Please forgive in advance my horrible English.

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 8 2019, 08:46 AM
Post#16

UA Admin

Thanks to Albert for clarifying.

I had forgotten that there is a problem with the way Office is now deployed. Based on feedback from the MS Access team:

Click to Run installations--such as yours--do not currently enable Ace to be used by non-Office applications, so you need to install an MSI setup (Office 2013/2016 MSI, or the 2016 Ace Redist would do).
I seem to recall that installing the runtime for Access also does this, hence the recommendation to install a runtime. Try that.

The reason this works with mdb files even when it won’t work for accdb files is that Windows ships a version of Jet (what become Ace) that can open mdb files, but it can’t open accdb files.
This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: Oct 8 2019, 08:47 AM

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

Raas
post Oct 8 2019, 10:01 AM
Post#17

I guess I, also, don't understand. What makes my installation of Office 2019 a "click to run" installation? It's a full version, paid for, just a permanent installation, not a cloud based subscription version. Just for further clarification, I don't use Access runtime either.
Thanks for this help. If I don't have ACE installed from my Office 2019 suite, then I'll work on finding it, I guess.

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 8 2019, 10:19 AM
Post#18

UA Admin

Click to run is the technology now used to install the applications.

It is not the "purchase" mode, i.e. subscription vs permanent license.
This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: Oct 8 2019, 10:21 AM

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

Raas
post Oct 8 2019, 10:59 AM
Post#19

Thanks for that clarification.

I have located and installed the Microsoft Access ACE engine. I downloaded the 2016 version, but it installs the ACE.12, so that should be ok. I can now go into VS and through the Advanced button I can see two providers, the JET, and the ACE. I select the ACE and get a message: The Microsoft ACE.OLEDB.12.0 provider is not registered on the local machine.
I have researched quite a bit on the internet about this issue and have tried a few of the suggestions that others have said worked, but I still cannot. I installed the 64 bit version of ACE, as that's what my .accdb databases are created as.

Is it possible that I have to remove this provider and download and install the 32 bit version instead? I'm a little nervous about doing that with 64 bit databases.

Raas
post Oct 10 2019, 01:18 PM
Post#20

I'm posting my current findings to see if that can get MS to do something. I understand that many in the MS MVP community might be able to pool their collective energy and put the word to MS that there needs to be a solution to this dilemma.

Below are two snippets from an official Microsoft inquiry, posted by MS MVPs. There have been hundreds of "I have the same problem" reports on this issue, but my request just got "triaged" and then blocked since "not enough interest, too severe a problem to take care of".

----------------
Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 is the latest version. What is the error you are getting when attempting to open the database? Below is a link to connection string examples:

https://www.connectionstrings.com/access/ (My note: This link is so old that it only gives providers for Access 2007, Access 2013, and possibly 2016, and for mdb files, But not 2019).

Also, keep in mind that there are both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the provider, so you need to make sure that your app is running 32-bit for the 32-bit version or 64-bit for the 64-bit version.

...~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

(My Note: All that tells me is that 32 bit won't work with 64 bit. The only "flavor" of Visual Studio is 32 bit. There isn't a 64 bit version. So I'm supposed to uninstall all of my 64 bit Office Suite, then install the 32 bit versions? I already know that 32 bit versions won't run 64 bit applications.)
-------------------
Hi Tom,

I keep getting the message:

Windows Installer and Click-to-Run editions of Office programs don't get along for this version, so you can only have one type installed at a time. Please try installing the Click-to-run edition of Office instead, or uninstall your other Click-to-Run based Office programs and try this installation again"

------------------------------------------

If the ACE provider isn't compatible with VS, VB, or Access, then MS needs to do something other than just sell the product and then ignore that they don't talk to each other properly.

PLEASE, MS, PLEASE help us with a GOOD solution.

If anyone can help, please. I've spent hours researching. I've downloaded and installed the 64 bit version of ACE. Doesn't work, as explained above. So, I uninstalled that one and downloaded and installed the 32 bit version. Still nothing. So, I went to another computer I have available and did a complete clean install of Windows 10, did all the updates (that takes time), Installed my Office 2019 and Visual Studio 2019. Then I tried the connection wizard through VS and got my original message of unknown type. So, I then installed the 32 bit version of ACE and got the "not registered" message. I then installed the ACE 64 bit (after uninstalling the 32), and got the "not registered" message again. I have absolutely nothing else on this "new" computer, except for a web browser. All firewalls are down, and no anti-virus software is installed, let alone running.

I even, finally, created a small Access database from the new installation. Same message.

I know it means nothing to most, but without this working, I won't be either, come January.

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    10th December 2019 - 06:46 PM