UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
> Access In A Website, Access 2010 (Office 2010 Pro)    

firlandsfarm
post Nov 23 2016, 04:58 AM
Post#1

Hi, I want to develop a website using Access as the database. (I'm using Access simply because I don't know SQL nor website languages so am trying to limit my learning to one thing and not both!) I will not always be able to connect to the internet when developing the website such as on a plane or staying in out of the way places or hotels that still charge and arm and a leg for the privilege of connecting to their £20 router if they have one and it works at an acceptable speed! What changes would I need to make, if any, to my laptop so that I can develop the website on the laptop and then copy everything to a server later? This is if that is possible!
Go to the top of the page

Start new topic
Replies
DanielPineault
post Nov 23 2016, 10:19 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

As others have said Access is not the right technology for such a project. Also, note that the learning curve is quite steep (New Back-end - MySQL, Front-End Language - PHP/.Net/...., HTML, JavaScript/jQuery, CSS, FTP, New development environment, ...). If you go the route of PHP (or even any other language) do take a look at using a FrameWork as they will provide you with lots of plug-and-play functionalities (Authentication, ...).

What changes would I need to make, if any, to my laptop so that I can develop the website on the laptop and then copy everything to a server later?

You'd need to install a web development software such as Dreamweaver (Paid), NetBean (Free), et al. then you can create a project area to do your development and then synch it to your server whenever you have a connection using FTP. Some program has synchronization tools included, others not. If you need an FTP app, look at FileZilla (Free).

Marsupilami72
post Nov 23 2016, 10:37 AM
Post#3

You can install a complete webserver on your laptop and use this for development and testing:

https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html

MariaDB is basically a free version of MySQL...

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 23 2016, 10:44 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

MS SQL Server Express is the free version of MS SQL Server.

If you already have Windows installed, you can also set up a development IIS .

You do have a wealth of choices.

firlandsfarm
post Nov 23 2016, 12:31 PM
Post#5

Thanks everybody ... I know and understand just about most of what you have put I just don't put things as technical as you. I would say "PHP is the website and works with MYSQL to dump tables on a screen" but you would say something much more eloquently and technically structured than that! smile.gif To draw this to a close it's simple ... don't be drawn into Microsoft's claims that you can use Access with a website, it doesn't work satisfactorily!

I've set up an IIS on a previous PC mostly out of curiosity so going back top my original question ... if I set up an IIS now and use it to develop a website with database will it be an easy job to copy that across to a 'proper' online server later?

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 23 2016, 12:38 PM
Post#6

UA Admin

I have to take exception to your statement: "... Microsoft's claims that you can use Access with a website,..."

To my knowledge, no one at Microsoft has, or would, make such a claim. Please cite the place where you did say see that, or something akin to it.

firlandsfarm
post Nov 23 2016, 12:51 PM
Post#7

Well to cite two ...

Firstly if you want to open a new database Access offers you a Blank Web Database and many templates for themed Web Databases, and

Secondly https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/of...office.14).aspx (a Microsoft webpage) instructs on "Creating Web Databases with Access 2010 and Access Services"

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 23 2016, 02:15 PM
Post#8

UA Admin

Note that neither of those is a promise that you can use "Access with a website" except in a very broad sense, and in neither case does it mean that Access itself is part of any "website". Both are methods by which you can create an application that can run in a browser. Perhaps that is a subtle point, but one worth understanding.

In the 2010 version, for example, "Access" is the design interface tool through which you created tables (actually, SharePoint lists) that are hosted on a SharePoint site (not on a website), along with forms that can then be run in a browser using browser technology. These also reside in SharePoint, not a website. The cool thing about them, as noted, is that those same forms CAN also be run in a local Access accdb, linking to those tables. Not what one would call "using Access with a website". Also, because the lists are cached locally inside the accdb, you can work totally disconnected from "any" web connection. I.e. no websites anywhere in sight.

And, in the 2013 version, again, "Access" is ONLY the design interface through which you create tables in a SQL Azure database. This SQL Azure database is hosted in a data center, not "in a website". Also in this environment, you create forms that run in a browser using browser technology. Access is only tangentially involved as the development application tool, and NOT as a way to actually use those Access Web Apps. Hence, the idea of "using Access with a website" doesn't attach.

As Daniel has observed, there are more robust ways to develop true web applications, but one very easily create a basic Access Web App in less than an hour. It's not going to extend to what most of us think of as a "web application". It is a functional, self-contained, application.

As we move forward, we're going to see a lot more exciting stuff coming. Take a look at PowerApps, for example.

Posts in this topic
- firlandsfarm   Access In A Website   Nov 23 2016, 04:58 AM
- - Marsupilami72   To make it short: It is not possible to use Access...   Nov 23 2016, 05:38 AM
|- - firlandsfarm   Hi Marsupilami and thanks for replying. I have a ...   Nov 23 2016, 06:28 AM
||- - ScottGem   To understand your previous answer you need to und...   Nov 23 2016, 07:26 AM
||- - firlandsfarm   Ahhh, OK, thanks ScottGem I think I get it now ......   Nov 23 2016, 07:47 AM
||- - ScottGem   MySQL is a database engine, PHP is a programming l...   Nov 23 2016, 08:40 AM
||- - GroverParkGeorge   It might help to understand that ALL database appl...   Nov 23 2016, 08:59 AM
|- - TinyGiant2010   Don't despair, I am running a site using Acces...   Mar 1 2019, 11:20 AM
|- - stevep   That's pretty interesting. I haven't heard...   Mar 2 2019, 08:14 AM
|- - sumosoftware   You could also look at other low code options like...   May 14 2019, 06:35 PM
|- - GroverParkGeorge   "I haven't heard of Front Page for years,...   May 14 2019, 07:17 PM
|- - firlandsfarm   Hey, this topic has suddenly sprung back into life...   May 25 2019, 05:54 AM
|- - GroverParkGeorge   First, I am not sure whether you are thinking of u...   May 25 2019, 08:18 AM
|- - firlandsfarm   Thanks again George ... "First, I am not sur...   May 25 2019, 12:12 PM
|- - TinyGiant2010   Deep cleansing breath...... okay here goes. If som...   Sep 5 2019, 11:24 AM
|- - AlbertKallal   Ok, I’ll bite on this! QUOTE User visits webs...   Nov 10 2019, 12:13 AM
- - DanielPineault   As others have said Access is not the right techno...   Nov 23 2016, 10:19 AM
- - Marsupilami72   You can install a complete webserver on your lapto...   Nov 23 2016, 10:37 AM
- - GroverParkGeorge   MS SQL Server Express is the free version of MS SQ...   Nov 23 2016, 10:44 AM
- - firlandsfarm   Thanks everybody ... I know and understand just ab...   Nov 23 2016, 12:31 PM
- - GroverParkGeorge   I have to take exception to your statement: ...   Nov 23 2016, 12:38 PM
- - firlandsfarm   Well to cite two ... Firstly if you want to open ...   Nov 23 2016, 12:51 PM
- - DanielPineault   You can create Web Database using Office365.com (a...   Nov 23 2016, 01:05 PM
|- - firlandsfarm   Thanks Daniel, that's the message I'm gett...   Nov 23 2016, 01:09 PM
|- - DanielPineault   It isn't too hard to put together a Web Databa...   Nov 23 2016, 01:22 PM
- - GroverParkGeorge   Note that neither of those is a promise that you c...   Nov 23 2016, 02:15 PM
- - firlandsfarm   Grover, I don't care how broad the sense, you ...   Nov 23 2016, 05:01 PM
|- - AlbertKallal   I think for someone with VBA and Access experience...   Mar 1 2019, 06:25 PM
- - DanielPineault   Sorry George, there is no disputing that MS seems ...   Nov 23 2016, 07:35 PM

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    14th July 2020 - 04:25 AM