UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My UA Posts Have Incorrect Timestamps    

FrankRuperto
post Nov 5 2019, 01:15 AM
Post#1

Um I think I mentioned this couple years ago. Do we have to change time zone in UA control panel so my posts show the correct timestamps? My TZ is currently Eastern -5 GMT.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  UAcontrol.PNG ( 14.57K )Number of downloads: 2
Attached File  UA_DST.PNG ( 183.59K )Number of downloads: 5

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.
Go to the top of the page

cheekybuddha
post Nov 5 2019, 02:35 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess Moderator

Hi Frank, I don't think the DST works very well on this site.

I had to make a manual change a couple of week's ago to correct the timestamps on UA after our clocks changed in the UK.

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

wheeledgoat
post Nov 5 2019, 08:57 AM
Post#3

Apologies in advance for coming off as an entitled american that's only crossed the pond once, but the UK does DST too? I thought that was just a dumb American thing! I was hoping to see us get away from this in my lifetime. Do you hate it as much as we do?

--------------------
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems." -Frank Wilczek

"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." -B.R. Hayden

Virtue is sufficient for happiness, therefore a sage is immune to misfortune.

jleach
post Nov 5 2019, 10:37 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess Administrator

Some places do it by 30 minutes. Even one that does it by 15/45 minute changes. Imagine that?

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/time-zones-interesting.html

(that said, yes, UA does have some issues with this... we're aware but not expecting a fix in the immediate future, sorry)

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.
Business Software Solutions

FrankRuperto
post Nov 5 2019, 10:51 AM
Post#5

@cheekybuddha

So if I uncheck"Adjust for DST" in UA, the post timestamps would still be plus one hour local time for USA timezones when DST changes to standard time?

I would have thought that the UA app knows the IP address of each logged in user and displays the appropiate times according to the geolocation of the IP address.

Perhaps the best approach would be to display universal time (GMT) timestamps like the military uses?

@wheeledgoat

There has been talk of discontinuing DST in the United States, primarily because it would save energy, and eliminating the need to adjust timekeeping devices that do not automatically adjust. Some places have already discontinued DST. In places like Puerto Rico, which is 18 degrees above the equator, there's not as much variation in sunrise and sunset times, thus Puerto Rico never implemented DST. However the closer you are to the north or south poles, the sun stays up a lot longer or shorter depending on the time of year. I am a minimalist, simplicity equates to less stress, so I vote for eliminating DST, coin currency, and Microsoft providing less versions that actually work.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Nov 5 2019, 10:56 AM

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.

cheekybuddha
post Nov 5 2019, 11:11 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess Moderator

>> I would have thought that the UA app knows ... <<

Probably a very dangerous thing to assume anything of this forum's software!! ohyeah.gif

Actually, IIRC, I found I had already set my timezone to mainland Europe to deal with the problem since the last time change as adjusting the DST checkbox wasn't having the correct effect, and now I have just switched it back to London.

@wheeledgoat, I don't mind DST at this time of year since I get an extra hour in bed! sleeping.gif

It's when it changes again in Spring that I don't like it!!

It's always been around my whole life so it doesn't really bother me; I guess it made sense when there was a more traditional 9-5 working day (or 5am - 3pm) for the farmers, but in this day and age where working hours are more flexible I think it would be easier just to go into work earlier and finish earlier and leave the clocks constant.

It would definitely make a programmer's life easier!!

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

jleach
post Nov 5 2019, 12:03 PM
Post#7

UtterAccess Administrator

>> a programmer's life <<

ISO-8601, all the way. Always UTC if you're hardcore compute.gif

--------------------
Jack D. Leach