UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Query Criteria Based On Two Fields For Two Forms, Access 2016    

JAchord
post Aug 19 2019, 01:09 PM
Post#1

Can anyone help me with this query. I have a form that gives item information. I need to see what jobs this item was used in based on the original ItemIDKey and the SupercededIDKey for items that are obsolete. I have another form that is identical to the first. The first form list all items used in the construction of the original item. The second form opens to show the information for one of these items when the item is double clicked. Both forms use the same "WhereUsedSFM" subform based on the same query. I just added the supercededIDKey. I tried changing the master and child link for the subform for two criteria but this is an "and" link, I need an "or" link.

CODE
SELECT Jobstbl.CompleteJob, Jobmatl.MatlItemIDKey, Jobstbl.item, Jobstbl.JobItemIDKey, Jobmatl.sequence, Jobstbl.[ord-num], Jobmatl.[bom-seq], Jobstbl.JobIDKey
FROM Jobstbl RIGHT JOIN (Itemstbl INNER JOIN Jobmatl ON Itemstbl.ItemIDKey = Jobmatl.MatlItemIDKey) ON Jobstbl.JobIDKey = Jobmatl.MatlJobIDKEY
GROUP BY Jobstbl.CompleteJob, Jobmatl.MatlItemIDKey, Jobstbl.item, Jobstbl.JobItemIDKey, Jobmatl.sequence, Jobstbl.[ord-num], Jobmatl.[bom-seq], Jobstbl.JobIDKey
HAVING (((Jobmatl.MatlItemIDKey)=[Forms]![ItemDatafrm]![ItemIDKey] Or (Jobmatl.MatlItemIDKey)=[Forms]![ItemDatafrm]![SupercedeItemIDKey] Or ((Jobmatl.MatlItemIDKey)=[Forms]![ItemDatapopupfrm]![ItemIDKey] Or (Jobmatl.MatlItemIDKey)=[Forms]![ItemDatapopupfrm]![SupercedeItemIDKey])));

This post has been edited by JAchord: Aug 19 2019, 01:16 PM
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Aug 19 2019, 01:15 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi. What's wrong with it?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

JAchord
post Aug 19 2019, 01:17 PM
Post#3

Sorry accidently hit submit the first time before I was ready. I am using the query builder. See updated original post.

JAchord
post Aug 19 2019, 01:18 PM
Post#4

Ok thoughts are to scattered right now. The query works fine. The problem is It ask for the criteria for the form that is not open. How can I keep it from doing that.

theDBguy
post Aug 19 2019, 01:20 PM
Post#5

Hi. Thanks for the additional information. To be honest, it's hard to see what you mean without being familiar with your database. However, I don't think you need to use a Totals query for this, since it doesn't look like you're performing any aggregation of the data.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas

JAchord
post Aug 19 2019, 01:34 PM
Post#6

No the groupby is just to keep from having duplicates. Groupby is much quicker than Unique values. Over 1.3 mill records on one of the tables slows things down. The query works fine. I just need to figure out how to keep it from asking for the criteria for the form that is not open. I can use VBA to detect when a form is open but is there a way to do this in a query? I think I really need to start using form instances instead of using two separate forms. It is really annoying to have to update both forms anyway any time I make a change. I have never done this and am not sure how to get it done in 2016.

theDBguy
post Aug 19 2019, 01:37 PM
Post#7

Hi. Just a thought, but maybe you could use a DLookup() instead of a Form reference.

--------------------

JAchord
post Aug 19 2019, 03:19 PM
Post#8

I will have to try that.

theDBguy
post Aug 19 2019, 03:27 PM
Post#9

Hi. Good luck! If it doesn't work, you might consider posting a sample db, so we can better understand your requirements. Cheers!

--------------------

JAchord
post Aug 20 2019, 08:42 AM
Post#10

That didn't quite work either unfortunately. It works great with one form. I guess I will just have to use two forms with two separate queries. I was trying to clean the DB up by removing duplicates. I tried Allen Browns method of using client groups but that just opens the same form with the same record filter. I need a way to filter the next instance for a new record. I guess I can move over to the Forms section and ask about that.

JAchord
post Aug 20 2019, 09:36 AM
Post#11

Well having a different query didn't work since both forms use the same subform. crazy.gif I should have thought of that. Guess I could make duplicate subforms. That doesn't seem like the proper way to handle this.

theDBguy
post Aug 20 2019, 11:19 AM
Post#12

Hi. If you need more help with this, you might consider posting a sample copy of your db, so we can give it a try for you.

--------------------

JAchord
post Sep 6 2019, 08:55 AM
Post#13

Hey DBguy. I think I figured it out but I keep getting type mismatch in the SQL string. Does not make sense seeing as one value is an autonumber and the rest are just copies of that auto numbers for different fields. I did remove the master child link for this form. instead passing the filter to the sub-form when the master form opens. It was the only way I could think of using "or" instead of "and".

CODE
Private Sub Form_Load()
Dim JobfiltercbxSQL As String
Dim whereusedSQL As String

JobfiltercbxSQL = "SELECT Jobstbl.JobItemIDKey, Jobstbl.CompleteJob " & vbCrLf & _
"FROM Jobstbl " & vbCrLf & _
"WHERE (((Jobstbl.JobItemIDKey)=[ItemIDKey]));"
Me.JobFiltercbx.RowSource = JobfiltercbxSQL

whereusedSQL = "[MatlItemIDKey]=" & [ItemIDKey]  & "Or [MatlItemIDKey]=" & [SupercedeItemIDKey]

Me.WhereUsedSFM.Form.Filter = whereusedSQL
Me.WhereUsedSFM.Form.FilterOn = True

DoCmd.Hourglass False

End Sub

theDBguy
post Sep 6 2019, 09:38 AM
Post#14

Hi. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

--------------------

JAchord
post Sep 6 2019, 10:04 AM
Post#15

Actually I don't have it sorted out. Do you see a syntax issue with the whereusedSQL line in the code. could it be because one the linked feild is an autonumber and one master field is an autonumber and the other is a number field?

theDBguy
post Sep 6 2019, 11:11 AM
Post#16

Hi. When you concatenate strings with variables, it's safer to include extra spaces to avoid run-on sentences. Hope it helps...

--------------------

JAchord
post Sep 6 2019, 11:19 AM
Post#17

I figured it out. So the method to have a subform based off two or more forms is as follows. No parent to child link, and place similar code as this in the form load event. This also has a method of making a combo box with a filtered rowsource based on a subform.

CODE
Dim JobfiltercbxSQL As String
Dim whereusedSQL As String

JobfiltercbxSQL = "SELECT Jobstbl.JobIDKey, Jobstbl.CompleteJob " & _
"FROM Jobstbl " & _
"WHERE (((Jobstbl.JobItemIDKey)=[ItemIDKey]));"
Me.JobFiltercbx.RowSource = JobfiltercbxSQL

whereusedSQL = "(((Jobmatl.MatlItemIDKey)= [itemidkey] Or (Jobmatl.MatlItemIDKey)= [SupercedeItemIDKey]))"

Me.WhereUsedSFM.Form.Filter = whereusedSQL
Me.WhereUsedSFM.Form.FilterOn = True

DoCmd.Hourglass False

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    18th November 2019 - 05:09 PM