UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chart Query Showing Dates In Wrong Formate, Access 2013    

fitzdesignz
post Feb 21 2020, 01:41 PM
Post#1

I have the following query to display a Line chart

The formatting should be WeekNumber-Year (WW-YYYY)

Every thing is fine for 2019 and prior but when you include anything from 2020 the formatting for the is M-YYYY (see attached image)

Screenshot of Issue

CODE
CaseVolumeSQL = "TRANSFORM Count(*) AS [Count] SELECT (Format([DateOfService], ""WW-YYYY"")) FROM [qry_Volumes] WHERE [DateOfService] >= " & "#" & dtePubMyFromDate & "#" & "And" & " [DateOfService] <= " & "#" & dtePubMyToDate & "#" & "AND [ProcedureCAT] in " & varCaseType & " GROUP BY (Year([DateOfService])*CLng(54)+ DatePart(""WW"",[DateOfService],0)-1),(Format([DateOfService],""WW-YYYY"")) PIVOT [ProcedureCAT];"

Me.gphCaseVolume.RowSource = CaseVolumeSQL

Any ideas?

--------------------
-Fitz
Go to the top of the page

Doug Steele
post Feb 21 2020, 07:43 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

If you were save the SQL as a query and run it by itself, does it appear normally?

BTW, you should have spaces around the keyword AND.

--------------------
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP (2000-2018)
Personal webpage
Microsoft profile
Co-author: Access Solutions: Tips, Tricks, and Secrets from Microsoft Access MVPs, published by Wiley
Co-author: Effective SQL: 61 Specific Ways to Write Better SQL, published by Addison-Wesley Professional
Technical Editor: Access 2010 Bible, Access 2013 Bible, Access 2016 Bible, all published by Wiley
Technical Editor: SQL Queries for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On Guide to Data Manipulation in SQL, 4th Edition, published by Addison-Wesley Professional

fitzdesignz
post Mar 18 2020, 12:21 PM
Post#3

Doug

Thanks for the reply.

The SQL statement ran as a query by itself groups and labels as expected.

Also note that the chart groups as expected by week but the labels on the chart are not.

--------------------
-Fitz

Doug Steele
post Mar 18 2020, 01:35 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

I'm guessing that Access is, for some reason, treating the 2020 dates as mm-yyyy, and the only reason why it was working is that the week values exceeded 12 so couldn't be treated as months.

If that guess is correct, one possibility would be to prefix your dates with a letter so that they won't be misinterpreted: rather than using 12-2020 for this week, use W12-2020. One way to do that is to change your Format statement to Format([DateOfService], ""\WWW-YYYY"")

--------------------
Personal webpage
Microsoft profile
Co-author: Access Solutions: Tips, Tricks, and Secrets from Microsoft Access MVPs, published by Wiley
Co-author: Effective SQL: 61 Specific Ways to Write Better SQL, published by Addison-Wesley Professional
Technical Editor: Access 2010 Bible, Access 2013 Bible, Access 2016 Bible, all published by Wiley
Technical Editor: SQL Queries for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On Guide to Data Manipulation in SQL, 4th Edition, published by Addison-Wesley Professional

Doug Steele
post Mar 18 2020, 01:35 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

I'm guessing that Access is, for some reason, treating the 2020 dates as mm-yyyy, and the only reason why it was working is that the week values exceeded 12 so couldn't be treated as months.

If that guess is correct, one possibility would be to prefix your dates with a letter so that they won't be misinterpreted: rather than using 12-2020 for this week, use W12-2020. One way to do that is to change your Format statement to Format([DateOfService], ""\WWW-YYYY"")

--------------------
Personal webpage
Microsoft profile

fitzdesignz
post Mar 18 2020, 01:49 PM
Post#6

Doug

Yes, just before I read your reply I realized access was treating weeks 1 through 12 as months. I changed the format to YYYY-WW and it solved the issue but I like your solution much better.

Thanks for your help
Cheers!

--------------------
-Fitz

fitzdesignz
post Mar 18 2020, 02:20 PM
Post#7

Doug,

Next issue is that they don't display in proper order. W10-2020, W11-2020, W1-2020, W2-2020 W3-2020 etc.

10 11 12 before 1 2 3 ?

--------------------
-Fitz

Gustav
post Mar 18 2020, 02:36 PM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

Sort on yyyy-ww.

--------------------
Microsoft Office 365 (Access) MVP 2017 ->

Doug Steele
post Mar 18 2020, 04:43 PM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

Hmm. I would have thought that formatting with ww would have forced a 2 digit week number. Turns out I was wrong!

Looks as though you might need to use

"W" & Format(DatePart("ww", [DateOfService]), "00") & "-" & Format([DateOfService], "YYYY")

--------------------
Personal webpage
Microsoft profile

Gustav
post Mar 19 2020, 04:15 AM
Post#10

UtterAccess VIP

Doug is right. ww returns no leading zero.

So, sort on numeric year, then numeric week.

However, if you use the universal ISO 8601 week numbering, the plot thickens, as the year of an ISO week of a date around New Year may not be the calendar year of that date.
Please indicate if that is the case.

--------------------
Microsoft Office 365 (Access) MVP 2017 ->

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    28th March 2020 - 10:08 AM